Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Gel Coat

uski2it

Hi! I have had several different inboards over the years for barefooting and slalom. I am about to purchase a new Malibu Response LXi. I am picking out hull colors. I have a few questions.

Anyone have a black hull? How do you like it? How is it to maintain? Does it show water spots, water scum, etc badly?

It's a question for my dealer -- but I have heard that black hulls are more prone to cracks and blisters -- anyone have experience with this?

Any recommendations for a color scheme?

Thanks!

Edited by uski2it
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• martinarcher

• BlastRlxi

• Lance B. Johnson

We have an all black 2003 Wakesetter 23LSV. We bought it used, and the color didn't really have anything to do with our decision to buy it. It looks great on the water and actually doesn't show dirt, spots, etc as bad as you would think but.....If I were to order the colors myself, I would never have black above the rubrail. The previous owners had it on a covered boat lift, but the snap on mooring cover didn't go down to the rubrail. So the back and the side that faced the sun is oxidized where the light reflected off the chrome rails and tower brackets. It was all waxed and polished when we purchased it, and didn't realize how bad it was until after the fact. Never the less, we ordered an Evelution cover in a group buy and may have the gel coat worked on this spring.

My 23 is black and white. You do have to stay on top of the wipe down or the hard water spots will show. I wax three to four times a year witch helps a lot to maintain water spots. Scratches from rocks that get kicked up when pulling are a pisser but those will show on any color. I will do black and white again I think resale will be good for a classic color combo also.

I've had two mainly black boats, and will never again. Granted they were both used and had a few years on them, but I had a hard time keeping the gel coat as glossy as I would like. They would look great for a few weeks after polishing and waxing, but would quickly start to show signs of oxidation. My latest boat is almost all white, with small black accent lines. It takes a lot less effort to keep the appearance how I like.

The first season with the black boat I drove two blocks from the ramp to my house before I did the wipe down. That was a mistake that lead to hard water spots that were difficult to remove. Now I dry my boat at the ramp and then give it a quick spritz of spray wax. Buff n polish twice a year. Always looks good. To answer your question more directly, if you are already in the habit of wiping down at the ramp and using a quick detailer, black is really not much more difficult to maintain than any other color. BUT, if you're a slacker, don't do black.

Do you happen to know if vinegar strips away wax?

Yes it will. regardless, if you have to use vinegar to remove water spots, your coat of wax is pretty much gone already.

My cousin's black gel coat on his BU is HIGH Maintenance. If you let it go, you will have some work on your hands removing water spots. The easiest/cheapest way to maintain it is get one of those synthetic chamois from from Wal Mart and wipe it down every time you put it on the lift or pull it out after a day of skiing. In the end, black will show water spots and dirt more than white.

P.S. My boat is mostly white and I still wipe it down after every use. Only takes 5-10 minutes and beats the heck out of vinegar and waxing each month.

Everyone always says that black is so hard to maintain. I disagree. I have a 2006 and it looks as good as it did when I

brought it home. All I do is wipe it down with 50/50 vinegar and water everytime I pull it out of the lake. I wax it in the spring

and in the fall. Probably every 3rd outing or so, I will hit it with some Meguiars (or similar) quick detail wax after the vinegar/water.

That's it...never even seen a waterspot. Some may consider that a lot of maintenance, but I would do the same with any color. Just the way

I am I guess. This boat was a big purchase for me and I want it to look good and last a long time. That's my 2 cents!

By the way....if I ever sell this boat and get a new one, it will be similar in color. Some combo of Black with gray accents.

I just really like that combo and think that it ages well.

Edited by DUKENO1

If you buy new (or get a used that was well taken care of) a black boat is easy to keep looking good. As other have said, wax it a time or two a season, then every time you go out wipe it down. I like Babes Boat spray a lot. It smells good, works great, and makes end of the day clean up a breeze!

martinarcher

You guys that are spraying your boats with vinegar and water must not like wax on the gel. Fingerwag.gif That certainly strips your protective costing of wax off the boat. Doh.gif

Try something like Babes Boat Brite or a product like Turtle Wax ICE to keep your boats shined up, but still protected. Clap.gif

Also, try a good quality wax like Collonite's 845 Liquid Insulator Wax. It has really kept the hard water spotting to a minimum on our boat. The water sheets right off the boat and we use the Absorber chamois to dry the boat off on the trailer as soon as it some out of the water.

You guys that are spraying your boats with vinegar and water must not like wax on the gel. Fingerwag.gif That certainly strips your protective costing of wax off the boat. Doh.gif

Try something like Babes Boat Brite or a product like Turtle Wax ICE to keep your boats shined up, but still protected. Clap.gif

Also, try a good quality wax like Collonite's 845 Liquid Insulator Wax. It has really kept the hard water spotting to a minimum on our boat. The water sheets right off the boat and we use the Absorber chamois to dry the boat off on the trailer as soon as it some out of the water.

That stuff is good, but the Collonite Fleet Wax Paste is the ulitmate wax. If you don't let it dry its a breeze on and off.

martinarcher

That stuff is good, but the Collonite Fleet Wax Paste is the ulitmate wax. If you don't let it dry its a breeze on and off.

Haven't tried it. I kept to the Insulator wax because it works so well and is the same as their Fiberglass boat wax with a different name, but I'll give the fleetwax paste a go this summer. I'm a firm believer in anything Collinite's makes!

Have you tried their Fiberglass Boat Cleaner (No 920) before waxing? It really helps get the boat clean and the surface prepped for the wax to bond to. It removes surface containments really well. I always struggle to get the exhaust stains off the white gel and it takes no effort at all with this stuff. Thumbup.gif

I'm a firm believer that a clean boat is the first step in getting a good wax to bond well and really extends how long the wax lasts.

Haven't tried it. I kept to the Insulator wax because it works so well and is the same as their Fiberglass boat wax with a different name, but I'll give the fleetwax paste a go this summer. I'm a firm believer in anything Collinite's makes!

Have you tried their Fiberglass Boat Cleaner (No 920) before waxing? It really helps get the boat clean and the surface prepped for the wax to bond to. It removes surface containments really well. I always struggle to get the exhaust stains off the white gel and it takes no effort at all with this stuff. Thumbup.gif

I'm a firm believer that a clean boat is the first step in getting a good wax to bond well and really extends how long the wax lasts.

No haven't tried that stuff, does it take the wax off? I used the fleet wax after buffing with Finess It II.

I completly agree with Duken01. Sorry Martinarcher dont agree. Yes vinegar will ultimately strip wax if you applied it 100% strength and gave your boat a good scrub 3 times a day. A light spray with vinager/ water mix will not do that much damage plus hitting it up with Mcguires quick detail or spray wax every other applicaiton and waxing 2x per year as Duken01 stated you will have a beautiful spotless boat. My truck is also black and even after drying it when its washed it shows water spots so I hit it with a vinegar/ water mixture. I asked my detail guy about this and he suggested using say a 25% vineger mixture to prolong the wax. If you are a slacker dont get black but when properly cared for it looks fantastic!

Edited by old skool malibu

My boat has a midnight blue and black hull. I can't say that it has been any more difficult to keep looking good than my old 'Bu, which was white and forest green. The biggest thing I have had to deal with is the slime left on the boat from the Willamette River that we keep it moored in during the season. I pull the boat out and clean it with Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic every 4 to 6 weeks followed by a good waxing. In the time before and after we moor, I just wipe the boat down well after getting it back on the trailer.

martinarcher

No haven't tried that stuff, does it take the wax off? I used the fleet wax after buffing with Finess It II.

Yep. Down to the clean naked gel coat. Makes a great surface for the wax to bond to. Thumbup.gif

I use vinegar and water (50/50) almost every time I wipe down. No more water spots.

That homemade mix stinks! Especially on your hands if you have any sort of drive home from the ramp. Then it gets in your truck, on the wheel, ect. Yuck! I have had only black boats. More than half dozen black vehicles. Not trying to push anything, but that Lucas slick mist is fantastic on the boat. All my buddies with black boats are now sold on it also. Don't really like it on the truck, but on the gelcoat is is freakin amazing. If you haven't tried it, you need to just give it a try. I also abide by a good wipe don as soon as you get out of the water. Follwed by a quick wipe with the slickmist. Keeps the boat shinin' like new. Promise.

That homemade mix stinks! Especially on your hands if you have any sort of drive home from the ramp. Then it gets in your truck, on the wheel, ect. Yuck! I have had only black boats. More than half dozen black vehicles. Not trying to push anything, but that Lucas slick mist is fantastic on the boat. All my buddies with black boats are now sold on it also. Don't really like it on the truck, but on the gelcoat is is freakin amazing. If you haven't tried it, you need to just give it a try. I also abide by a good wipe don as soon as you get out of the water. Follwed by a quick wipe with the slickmist. Keeps the boat shinin' like new. Promise.

Never heard of it before but sounds good. I have yet to use anything that can touch Boat Bling Hot Sauce.

Never heard of it before but sounds good. I have yet to use anything that can touch Boat Bling Hot Sauce.

What's a bottle go for and where is it available? I am always willing to try something new. That is my main complaint with the Lucas stuff. It is hard to find and somewhat exspensive. I had a decent hookup on the slickmist, but is was still around 5-6 bucks a bottle.

What's a bottle go for and where is it available? I am always willing to try something new. That is my main complaint with the Lucas stuff. It is hard to find and somewhat exspensive. I had a decent hookup on the slickmist, but is was still around 5-6 bucks a bottle.

Yeah the Hot Sauce is the same as it's made in AZ and shipping is expensive. I found a place on Cali that sells it and shipping should be much better from there. It's still $15-17 per bottle but the bottle is 2x the size of Babe's. A bottle lasts me more than a season.

Hey guys, I have called Boat Bling (the Hot Sauce company) and we should be able to get a group buy or group discount worked out shortly. I have turned it over to D-Goose to work his magic.

BTW...One of the Boat Bling owners is a Malibu owner!! :yahoo:

I guess I can somewhat agree that if you keep the boat wiped down, black gel coat will stay nice. However, I don't know why anyone would go with a black gel coat on the hull. How many of you with dark hulls get under the boat to wipe it down each time? :unsure:

Simple chemistry - like dissolves like.

Dip a towel in the lake when you come off the water and wipe down then wipe with a dry towel.

Wax a couple times a year as general maintainence.