Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lift for a 23 LSV?

bennekm

I just ordered my new boat (23 LSV) so I figure I haven't nearly spent enough money and need to get a new lift too. Any recommendations? The water is waist deep, so I think I have no choice but a standard verticle lift. Was thinking that I needed a minimum of 5k lbs, but may go up to a 6k lbs one so if I upgrade in a few years to 247 (Once they redo it), I don't need to buy a new lift. Also, anyone successfully use a canopy without dropping the tower and buying a new cover? Thanks!

Edited by bennekm

I just ordered my new boat (23 LSV) so I figure I haven't nearly spent enough money and need to get a new lift too. Any recommendations? The water is waist deep, so I think I have no choice but a standard verticle lift. Was thinking that I needed a minimum of 5k lbs, but may go up to a 6k lbs one so if I upgrade in a few years to 247 (Once they redo it), I don't need to buy a new lift. Also, anyone successfully use a canopy without dropping the tower and buying a new cover? Thanks!

23LSV weighs under 4000 lbs and the 247 weighs just over 4000 lbs. Why do you need a 6000 lb lift?

I have a 23 LSV and it sits on a 6600lbs hydro-hoist and I would not want the boat sitting on one with less capacity. The factory specified weight is the lightest number you will see. Once you start figuring in all of your gear and gas it adds up quick. You will find the extra capacity very useful too when you want to work on the boat while in the air and have someone else in the boat helping you.

I know other people with 23 foot v drives on 4000 lb lifts (floating) and they hate it. The minute you step in the boat the lift starts to sink.

-Dave

I bought a 6,600# capacity Hydro Hoist as well. Capacities jump from 4,400# to 6,600# and the smaller capacity for a 23LSV won't cut it. Resale values for a 6,600# are pretty strong as well.

I just order the Wakeboard Tower Canopy from

www.sunchasercanopy.com/

The Wakeboard Tower Canopy has longer legs and curtains on each side. I am getting five foot curtains on mine. Both the front and back are open.

I do not have it yet so I can not claim success. My plan is to store the boat on the lift without dropping the tower. I hope I do not need to cover it, but if I do, it will be to deter the bad guys

I am considering to get 4400/6600# Hydrohoist for my VLX. My dock doesn't have electricity. I was told that I can use my boat battery via inverter to supply power. Any feedback?

I am considering to get 4400/6600# Hydrohoist for my VLX. My dock doesn't have electricity. I was told that I can use my boat battery via inverter to supply power. Any feedback?

The motors for the Hydro Hoist are the same ones used in vacuum cleaners and draw about 10 amps so you are going to need an inverter capable of delivering 1500 watts continuous power . I haven't timed my lift but my guess is about 3 minutes to full float so as long as your battery is strong you should not have a problem.

-Dave

23LSV weighs under 4000 lbs and the 247 weighs just over 4000 lbs. Why do you need a 6000 lb lift?

Here's were I was coming up with 6k lbs: Full tank of gas plus batteries is probably close to 500 lbs. Equipment including anchors is probably another couple hundred lbs. Multiple coolers of beer (Glass bottles) with ice is another couple hundred lbs. At least 2 people in the boat is another 300 lbs. Then there is all the water in the boat...either from the rain leaking through the cover or from using the boat (Riders in and out of the boat). Oh, and on the occasional day I'm a moron and I forget to drain all of the ballast. :whistle:

Edited by bennekm

I just order the Wakeboard Tower Canopy from

www.sunchasercanopy.com/

The Wakeboard Tower Canopy has longer legs and curtains on each side. I am getting five foot curtains on mine. Both the front and back are open.

I do not have it yet so I can not claim success. My plan is to store the boat on the lift without dropping the tower. I hope I do not need to cover it, but if I do, it will be to deter the bad guys

Just a question...why would you keep both the front and back open? I can see needing clearance on the back to get in and out without dropping the tower, but unless the canopy was several feet longer than the boat in the front and back, wouldn't having it open defeat the purpose other than for rain and sun directly overhead? I saw these online and they look like a decent solution, but the back of my boat faces West and if the canopy is too high in the back, I'll still get sun damage.

I put my '04 LSV on the 4K lb lift I had my Chapparral on. The top of the rear pontoons barely clear the water. If I step on it, it goes under as the boat goes down about 6" from my 230lb. When my 130lb. wife steps on it with me, the bottom of the prop touches and we feel like it's going all the way but it doesn't. When it got cold the lift drooped a little but 30 sec with pump on fixed that.

Just a question...why would you keep both the front and back open? I can see needing clearance on the back to get in and out without dropping the tower, but unless the canopy was several feet longer than the boat in the front and back, wouldn't having it open defeat the purpose other than for rain and sun directly overhead? I saw these online and they look like a decent solution, but the back of my boat faces West and if the canopy is too high in the back, I'll still get sun damage.

I'd prefer to have coverage in the front, but that is not how they are designed. Fortunaltely, I am in a protected cove with limited sunlight. Just in the middle of the day, so the sun should not be a factor. If rain becomes an issue, I may have to throw on a cover from time to time.

i weighed my 247 after i filled it and had all the e.q. (stereo, 2-50# anchors, boards, etc.) i weighed in at just over 6500 ibs. hope this will help those that are quessing weights and to show you how quickly it all adds up.

We just went though this last year and are happy we went for the 6,000#. For lots of the same reasons above, the extra weight adds up quickly. Resale is also much better.

FWIW, we got a 5,000 lbs. capacity, vertical lift by Pier Pleasure to replace our 4,000 lbs. capacity lift (Great Lakes) which could not handle the heavier '08 23LSV we got the year before last. The first lift was ok for the '02 23 LSV Sunscape. It has been great so far and I'm pleased with the design and performance.

Mike

If you don't have an issue with ice damage to your lift. The easiest was buying a used 4 piling ss and aluminum 7000 lbs two motor lift,and cover it with a touchless cover. Got the 2 yr. old pro-lift for $2000 including pilings,elctricity and the touchless cover for under $5000. The whole thing cost less than my shoremaster with canopy. Put it all up in a weekend. Here is what it looks like Touchless Cover Click on products and services section and go to touchless covers.

Edited by Surfin247