Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Distrubutor Change

I have a 1990 Euro F3 with a 5.7 Merc. I am changing the whole distributor out for a new electronic ignition system and was wondering if anyone had any advice for the the whole distributor change. I ordered the kit (Delco HEI system)

I have a 1990 Euro F3 with a 5.7 Merc. I am changing the whole distributor out for a new electronic ignition system and was wondering if anyone had any advice for the the whole distributor change. I ordered the kit (Delco HEI system)

You can update/remove the points for a electronic set up without replacing the dist as a unit.Very easy to do and you will not have to replace the whole dist,I plan to do it to my new to me 93 echelon. Pertronic sell the kits(sure I spelled it wrong) or I am sure Bakes has them.Very easy job to do!!!!!

I have replaced the points with a "drop in" electronic pick-up and have had no problems. I was considering replacing the distributor but had it tested first. The primary concern I would have with the delco hei is the USCG approval? The spark/fuel in confined space makes me think an automotive distributor might not be safe? Any way as the previous post sugested can't go wrong with Pertronics.

Just in case you've never removed and replaced a distributer,

Make sure you mark where No# 1 is and where the rotor is pointing so you can line up the new one and drop it right in,remember to start back a couple of degrees because it will turn as you lower it in due to the Helli cut gears. If it doesn't want to sit down all the way the end of the distributor is not lined up to with the oil pump drive so you'll have to wiggle it or move forward or back a gear tooth, you can also use a long flat tip screw driver to turn the oil pump a little to Line it up.

Edited by bigD