Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Swim Step Cover

WakingMeHappy

Does anyone out there put a cover on their teak swim steps? I want to cover mine to keep the sun from fading it but I’m afraid of moister building up or the cover sticking to the teak. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this? I was thinking of using standard boat cover material with bungee cord sewn around the outside. I could then just slip it on but taking it off for towing.

Yea, I made one out of an old awning for the PS205 swimstep a while back. And I'm about to make one for the Vride's new swimstep out of the same material. Both had Traxx pad on them though & no teak touching the cover. I just used nylon webbing & buckles underneath & cinched them up tight. I towed with it occasionally without any issues.

Wish I had some pics to show you of the old one. I'll take some of the new one though.

Most any upholstery shop could do it easily. If your worried about the top sticking to the deck, then put some sort of stand offs between the two.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I don't really think you'll have any issues with the cover sticking to the teak.

I guess I was concerned about that because of the high humidity we have in the south. But there should be enough air flow from the underside that would prevent moisture build up.

Does anyone out there put a cover on their teak swim steps? I want to cover mine to keep the sun from fading it but I’m afraid of moister building up or the cover sticking to the teak. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this? I was thinking of using standard boat cover material with bungee cord sewn around the outside. I could then just slip it on but taking it off for towing.

I had one made a local canvas shop. They used sunbrella. It was abotu 60 bucks.

gallery_1529_589_102114.jpg

gallery_1529_589_186025.jpg

I had one made from Sunbrella about 5 years ago. Custom made at a canvas shop. Works great.

I also worried about mold and humidity under the cover. I was ready to simply lay in a few of those plastic practice golf balls (the ones with holes in them.)..... to keep the cover up off the teak platform. Never had to. There's enough air flow up from underneath.... the cover actually gently "fluffs" in the brease. I also keep my boat in the water attached to the dock with mooring whips. The up/down wave motion and air flow up/down "fluffs" the cover.... not major heat build up.

I wouldn't trailer with the cover on.... but it's never blown off while sitting on the trailer OR sitting in the water.

I had one made a local canvas shop. They used sunbrella. It was abotu 60 bucks.

That's the first galvi. trailer I've seen under a Bu.

Looks good. I'm going galvi. next time.

I guess it would be beneficial if dropping in brackish or salt water which is why the guy before me bought it. He used the boat in brackish water occasionally.

Also, I have never had an issue with moisture under my teak cover. The sunbrella really does a nice job of beeding the water away.

I think most of them made in the last few years are painted too. So unless you knew it was galvanized, you might not notice. A buddy of mine in Seattle has an 08 VTX with a painted/galvanized Extreme trailer. The only way you'd even know it was a salt water boat is the big zinc on the stern.

Yeah Tony.

I'm keeping it immaculate with no use just for you buddy.

I know you need a V-drive.

Heck, once I get to wow, the boat will have sat in my driveway since July.

Yeah Tony.

I'm keeping it immaculate with no use just for you buddy.

I know you need a V-drive.

Heck, once I get to wow, the boat will have sat in my driveway since July.

You know as well as I do you should move it a little so you don't get flat spots on the tires :biggrin:

I'm actually starting to feel like I need a response, I feel the kids are going to get older and will be doing their own thing so I'll have to resort to going back and skiing 100% of the time. Join a ski club and never wakeboard again........

NOT!!! We'll see

Don't worry Tony.

The trailer is up on jack stands and the boat is hermetically sealed.

I'll even put a big bow on top when you come to pick it up.

Finished my cover this morning. The material is from an old EZ-Up awning I had already. The frame was busted up in a storm. The material became this cover & a cover for the BBQ. The only thing I had to buy was the buckles. So out of pocket is about $9.

swimstepcover-1.jpg

Finished my cover this morning. The material is from an old EZ-Up awning I had already. The frame was busted up in a storm. The material became this cover & a cover for the BBQ. The only thing I had to buy was the buckles. So out of pocket is about $9.

swimstepcover-1.jpg

Nice Well done, I really like the price!