Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing Ballast for '97 Sunsetter

nevertwobig

Just checking to see how if anyone has some advice for placement of ballast and how much in a '97 sunsetter LX with the Wedge. I just started surfing or shall I say trying to surf behind my boat. I would like to save some hassle and see what everyone is running for weight and where it is placed. I currently have the wedge deployed, 370# between the rear seat and clam, 750# to the left of motor, 370# in the ski locker, and 260# in the walkway. Also have 2 people sitting in the back corner on the gunnel, and a person in the spotter seat. I'm having trouble getting forward push off the wake. There is a great tunnel in the wake and a buddy of mine who surfs says it looks great but also says no push. What do I need to do to get the forward push? More weight or just distribute weight differntly. If someone could help, I would apprecaite it!!!! Thanks

martinarcher

Our skier looses all the push from the wave when there is any weight on the non-surf side. Any weight forward of the engine also seems to lengthen the wave, but reduce the push.

Our skier looses all the push from the wave when there is any weight on the non-surf side. Any weight forward of the engine also seems to lengthen the wave, but reduce the push.

Agreed.

It sounds like you have enough weight.

Try putting everything in the back on the surf side to start. also you should be going as slow as possible while still having a clean wave. Try accelerating slow until the wave just starts to clean up. Another trick is to hit the speed that gets the nose of the boat as high as possible. Let us know how it goes and send some picks or videos and we'll see if we can help any more. Surfing.gif

So what your saying is dump the sac between the clam and rear seat and also the two up front. Or should I leave 1 or both up front. That would leave only the 750 in the rear and the wedge. I would think I need something up front, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't be going out now for about a month, so its going to be a while to try this. I guess if you could clarify whether I need weight up front, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Kelly

the weather was great today so i had to take her out again. I slowed the boat down to 9.5, took half the weight out of the bow and moved it to the rear corner. I found the sweet spot about a foot from the swim platform. Now i just have to control it a little better to go ropeless. Seems like I keep wanting to run into the back of the boat and then backing way off. Any hints to stay in the pocket?

martinarcher

The biggest trick I found when teaching people to stay in the wave and go ropeless was lots of weight on your toes to help the board cut into the side of the wave.

Also, I know when you're learning it's hard to find your front/back of the board balance. When shifting your weight forward, the board will speed up and head for the boat. Weight on your rear foot will do the opposite and slow the board down. When learning, be sure not to shift weight quickly or the board will overshoot the sweet spot. Don't be afraid to hang onto the rope so you have lots of chances to figure out your weight placement on the board.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I will definitly take all the advice I can get. I actually read a thread last night on another site that said the same thing about putting more weight on my toes, being that the wake is longer than wider like v-drives. It will be a few weeks before I can take her out again. I'm actually heading down to Disney in a week and a half and plan on taking a lesson at OWC while in Orlando. Hopefully I can get some usefull hints down there.

martinarcher

Thanks for the tips! I will definitly take all the advice I can get. I actually read a thread last night on another site that said the same thing about putting more weight on my toes, being that the wake is longer than wider like v-drives. It will be a few weeks before I can take her out again. I'm actually heading down to Disney in a week and a half and plan on taking a lesson at OWC while in Orlando. Hopefully I can get some usefull hints down there.

Cool. Good luck and have fun with it!