Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold weather riding tips

skyskier

Post up your best tips for those who are itchin' to ride, but need some inspiration. I'll go first.

1) There is no off season when you own a drysuit.

2) Glass and ice look a lot alike. Are you feelin' lucky?

If you do not own a drysuit Take a cooler of hot water and dump it down your wet suit before and after each ride.

:plus1: on "You get the best water of the year in the off season." But don't tell anyone.

I have always rocked the neoprene hood........until now. Just the thought of the latex swim cap makes me feel pretty

When your as bald as I am, it doesn't take long to get over the vanity & wear the stupid cap. :crazy:

I wish I was a good enough rider to just not crash. But if I don't crash, I'm not pushin the envelope at all.

I wear a helmet when I ride anyway so it isn't like you can see much anyway.

Did I mention a thick coat of vaseline on your face will fight off wind chill? Don't ya'll try it along with the latex swim cap. That would just be naughty!

My wife and some friends wear neoprene socks.

My tip is to only go in the winter when the sun is out. I draw the line there. It is not a lot of fun being out on the water in the winter when it is not only cold with cold water, but cloudy and raining as well.

My wife and some friends wear neoprene socks.

My tip is to only go in the winter when the sun is out. I draw the line there. It is not a lot of fun being out on the water in the winter when it is not only cold with cold water, but cloudy and raining as well.

Welcome to the NW. :crazy:

I don't miss that about Seattle at all.

It's quite a bit easier to get a sunny day here on the east side. The water gets harder, but the sunshine helps a lot if it's liquid. Also, wearing dark colors does a lot.

We get our StayDry suits with boots built in. Not a great idea if your wearing bindings that you can come out as it could rip the boots off the suit. But is sweet riding a foil. I even wear my socks too.

I have the Nevin Core gloves too. Used them on my first ride on Sunday & was done in about 10 minutes. I used the dive gloves for the 2nd run & it was an easy 1/2 hr or more. :rockon:

Post up your best tips for those who are itchin' to ride, but need some inspiration. I'll go first.

1) There is no off season when you own a drysuit.

2) Glass and ice look a lot alike. Are you feelin' lucky?

Thanks for the dedication Skyskier, it’s fun to know that being ate up with the lake (and forcing it on my children), can spark an idea or contribute to a discussion about maximizing a skiing/boating season. I’m touched

My Ski buddy put a shutoff valve on one of the drain plugs on his engine block with a 2 foot hose extension. We take and fill up a 5 gallon bucket with hot water from the block and soak our feet in it after a run. Basically the same as a hot water shower, but cheaper and more ghetto. :rockon:

drysuit - straight-line Ski gloves and try not to fall - or at best fall slowly - gloves ain't cuttin it - thanks for the tip on the Nevin's - hit up the lake on february 26th been out every weekend since - lake is dope this time of year... - shower & heater both working double time. great to see the wife and kids carving it up as well...

I wear nitrile gloves ($5 for 50 of them at HOme depot, etc) under my ski gloves. Keeps hands drier for a while. Try to keep hands/gloves out of water as much as possible.

My Ski buddy put a shutoff valve on one of the drain plugs on his engine block with a 2 foot hose extension. We take and fill up a 5 gallon bucket with hot water from the block and soak our feet in it after a run. Basically the same as a hot water shower, but cheaper and more ghetto. :rockon:

Whatever works man. Great idea, actually! :thumbup:

...fill up a 5 gallon bucket with hot water from the block and soak our feet in it after a run. Basically the same as a hot water shower, but cheaper and more ghetto.

We use a medium size ice chest. It keeps the water warmer longer. :thumbup:

EDIT: After your run you take off your gloves and drop them in, that way they're warm for your next run. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu