Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory plumbing on launch pads???

DC_UGAFAN

So I bought some Launch pad sacs to replace my factory hard tanks. I pulled the hard tanks out and started running into problems. I found out the fittings are not going to match up. Anybody got any experience with this? How do I put in the new sacs on the old system? Also the 2 lines that were run to the top of the tank... I assume one is the fill and the other is overflow? would I have any issues if I did not hook up the overflow line?

So I bought some Launch pad sacs to replace my factory hard tanks. I pulled the hard tanks out and started running into problems. I found out the fittings are not going to match up. Anybody got any experience with this? How do I put in the new sacs on the old system? Also the 2 lines that were run to the top of the tank... I assume one is the fill and the other is overflow? would I have any issues if I did not hook up the overflow line?

Yes you are correct and if you don't hook up the overflow line you will pop your bag.

Doesnt address your specific question, but Wakemakers.com sells a kit specifically to replace the above floor rear hard tanks in the Malibu's. They are 750lb bags fly high pro-x bags and have worked great so far in our boat for both wakesurfing and wakeboarding. System comes with all fittings, quick connects and additional ballast hose to make the system work.

When I first removed my hard tanks and replaced with sacs I tried Launch Pads.

The reason I got rid of the LPs was becaus of their inner bladder which causes them to drain poorly.

I changed to Pro X 750s and they are great.

But heres how to plumb the LPs:

3/4" id hose fits very snug into the fills/drains of the LPs - then just hose clamp around the treads to seal it and then the other end to the pump.

Simple and cheap - use the braided hose for substance.

When I first removed my hard tanks and replaced with sacs I tried Launch Pads.

The reason I got rid of the LPs was becaus of their inner bladder which causes them to drain poorly.

I changed to Pro X 750s and they are great.

But heres how to plumb the LPs:

3/4" id hose fits very snug into the fills/drains of the LPs - then just hose clamp around the treads to seal it and then the other end to the pump.

Simple and cheap - use the braided hose for substance.

pardon my ignorance but...what is id hose? When you said the LP's drain poorly, how bad is it? do they not drain all the way or drain slow?

Edited by DC_UGAFAN

There is a bladder or baffle inside to help them keep their shape and minimize sloshing.

This keeps them from draining all the way the first attempt - after they settle for a bit then you can drain them some more and then repeat.

Bags without the bladder/baffle drain totally in 5-10 minutes without any extra manipulation.

Of course this is not much of an issue if you don't want/need to drain them completely all the time

well I got all the plumbing ran unfortunatly I dont have any batteries hooked up since I'm up to my elbows in my stereo install

Hope I can get these pics to post.

Just a pic to show the how simple I plumbed in the LPs

noz.jpg

Edited by Brad B

well I got all the plumbing ran unfortunatly I dont have any batteries hooked up since I'm up to my elbows in my stereo install

How did you decide to vent the bag. Some people say a 2 port bag doesn't need to be vented but burped from time to time. Some say it does.

From my last pic:

The drain is plumbed in to the sac just as it was in the hard tank - at the bottom.

Then the fill hose is going in one of the two top ports - the vent goes in the other one.

The fill hose will require some "anti-syphoning" action - either a one way valve or an anti syphon loop.

From my last pic:

The drain is plumbed in to the sac just as it was in the hard tank - at the bottom.

Then the fill hose is going in one of the two top ports - the vent goes in the other one.

The fill hose will require some "anti-syphoning" action - either a one way valve or an anti syphon loop.

From your description I'm counting 3 ports. Any suggestions on how to tie in the vent with only 2 ports?

Edited by Ndawg12

If its only 2 ports - are they both on the top?

Which LP is it? Mine were the 440s

I don't want to further hi-jack the OP's thread, I have no idea what Launch Pads he has that only have 2 ports but I would assume they are both on the top. I had a similar situation with a pair of older fly highs that I bought but had to return.

I think it has more than 2 ports he was just asking what to do with the 2 hoses from the hard tanks.

But if it only has 2 on the top the drain pump will be installed in one and it will sorta work as a vent/overfill.

Problem is it will need to be manipulated to prime sometimes.

To OP - get some miles and fun outa these and when the chance comes up switch to Pro X 750s

From my last pic:

My bag only had one top port i believe so my vent is on the top and my fill hose is attached at one of the bottom ports but I didnt put a one way valve or anything on it. Is that going to cause any issues as far as losing water?

The problem with a one way valve and a bottom port fill is the pressure from the partially filled sac against the valve.

The easiest and cheapest is after the sac is filled simply shot off the sea c***.

Another pretty easy way is to use a high loop and an anti-syphon valve like the one from Bakes.

I water test my summer ballast tweaking project yesterday and 3 of the 4 pumps with one way valves worked.

The failure is a priming issue - if water fills the pump its golden but if there is enough air pressure between the valve and the pump to keep it from opening it won't prime.

I want a 100% solution so I'm ditching the Brady valves for now.