Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Wakesetter Carpet issue

I have a 2005 Wakesetter VLX with very bad warren carpet. very matted and disintegration of the carpet. has anyone else seen this on there boat? It is gray carpet, but water on it stains and turns carpet black and mashed down, it has just been getting worse and worse for a few years now.2005-malibu_Carpet001.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet002.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet003.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet004.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet005.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet006.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet007.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet008.jpg2005-malibu_Carpet009.jpg

I am going to give it to you straight.......you need to step up your cleaning and maintenance routine. Keep the boat covered when not in use. Shake the leaves and twigs off the cover before you remove it. When those leaves and twigs mix with water it will cause the stains you are talking about.

It looks like careful power washing would take most of it out, if not all. I would pre scrub with a heavy duty detergent. Keep away from the vinyl. Good luck!

I am going to give it to you straight.......you need to step up your cleaning and maintenance routine. Keep the boat covered when not in use. Shake the leaves and twigs off the cover before you remove it. When those leaves and twigs mix with water it will cause the stains you are talking about.

It looks like careful power washing would take most of it out, if not all. I would pre scrub with a heavy duty detergent. Keep away from the vinyl. Good luck!

Agreed, you need to up your cleaning regimen, but to the OP's defense I also think '05 and '06 were bad carpet years, fwiw, mine had similar staining in some areas when I bought it. I scrubbed with a detergent and got most of the stains out but wasn't able to get it unmatted. Another suggestion, quit biting your fingernails, that was harder to look at than your carpet :crazy:

The carpet Malibu used in 05 had and has staining problems. Malibu came up with a couple of cleaning solutions, but nothing is going stop the brown water stains from coming back. Malibu gave me carpet saver, my neighbor chose to have the carper replaced after the second year.

What would you recommend as a heavy duty detergent? Are we talking Tide? Mr. Clean?

I would start with something mild and work my way up as needed. I have been known to use a little bleach as a last resort, but keep it away from the vinyl.

There is a known carpet issue from 2005. Call Malibu directly and they will send you a powdr that you mix with water to remove the stains. I used it and then power washed it. Once done with power washing, I suck as much water out as I could with a shop vac. This did a great job and I haven't had anymore problems, so far.

To prevent the problem, Malibu will warn you about using certain types of cleaners on this carpet. I believe the problem occurs when the carpet gets very wet and then dries slowly. I have found that if you vac the excess water out of the carpet at the end of the day, there won't be any probelms.