Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pylon stuck

Lift the engine cover & look at the underside of the pylon. You should see a bolt sticking out from the pylon thru a slot in the surrounding sleeve. Try loosening the bolt, spray some WD40 in there. Even tapping the bolt with a hammer so it's in the right position to lift the pylon. Maybe even remove the bolt altogether & see if you can tap the pylon up from the bottom side. Might have better luck with some PB Blaster too.

This is a known problem with the '04's. I had mine worked on twice. Warranty.

If I left the boat in the water for a few days, it would always end up sticking. No more though.

The 'fix':

There's a rubber gasket that's around the pylon. It swells and needs to be thinned using a sander or something else that will reduce the size.

Open the sun deck. Look under the pylon. You'll have to pull it apart from underneath. If it's totally jammed, I'd ask your dealer to separate it. I'm sure they've got experience.

I just fixed mine....since it is cold here in Ohio, the rubber gasket was was constricted...sprayed mine with w-40, let sit for a little while....lift the sundeck and take out the bolt. Move the pylon back abd forth till you get it out. Then I too 8- grade sandpaper and with my hand sanded it out. Al together took about an hour. Mine works great now. Hope this helps.

There were issues with that bushing swelling in high heat. From what we were told from the factory do not put any lubricants on the bushing, the petroleum products will make the bushing swell even worst. In some cases we needed the fork lift to get the pylon removed from the bushing so they can get really stuck.

You can take a sheet of 100 grit sand paper and remove a 1/16 or so of that poly busing and you should never have that issue again

-Paul

There were issues with that bushing swelling in high heat. From what we were told from the factory do not put any lubricants on the bushing, the petroleum products will make the bushing swell even worst. In some cases we needed the fork lift to get the pylon removed from the bushing so they can get really stuck.

You can take a sheet of 100 grit sand paper and remove a 1/16 or so of that poly busing and you should never have that issue again

-Paul

Sounds like a little project I should get to sometime. I've had the pylon stick in the up position a few time, but have always been able to get it back down without too much effort. Is this something that can worsen over time? I guess I can live with it as is for now.

thanx everyone for the help. will get to it this weekend :)

Instead of WD40 (WD stands for "water displacement").... a better lubricant for your pylon is Boshield T9. It's made by Boeing for aircraft parts.... lubricant and protectant. When my Pylon was virtually seized.... a few squirts and a few hours later after it had seeped into all the cracks, my pylon spun like a top.

Instead of WD40 (WD stands for "water displacement").... a better lubricant for your pylon is Boshield T9. It's made by Boeing for aircraft parts.... lubricant and protectant. When my Pylon was virtually seized.... a few squirts and a few hours later after it had seeped into all the cracks, my pylon spun like a top.

where can i get that?