Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

not starting

Hi there

I have a problem , my boat after the winter period does not start anymore.

when I puttet it away it did run.

I have no "spark" on the sparkplugs

the distributor is new.

I have 12 volt on the red cable of the distributor

I have 12 volt on the red cable of the coil

Is this a problem that often appears ?, so yes can annybody tell me where to look for ?

We have a "97 malibu response with a black scorpion.

greetings from Holland

Obbe

Edited by bijlaard

Any wires disconnected when getting it ready for winter?

Is it turning over, but not starting? Gauges initializing?

If gauges not initializing & it's turning over, but not starting, then it's likely your lanyard/safety switch. Make sure it's on/seated - if it is, remove lanyard & push button a few times & try again. You can also bypass it in a pinch.

If it doesn't turn over/crank, then it could be your neutral safety switch (in addition to other things).

Hi There

When I putted the boat away for winter i just disconected the + cable

It's conected again and working because the starter is working and the engine is turning

it's just not fire-ing (if that's the good word)

I allready did bypass the safety lanyard/safety switch. (you can notice if it's working because of the "beep" sound)

the shifter is in neutral , the engine is turning when i put it in a gear the starter doesn't work.

I have here a few pictures

nr 1 the coil ,when i turn the key in starting positionon all 4 wire's a constand +. (red white and red brown)

nr 2 i have there a constand + on red and brown

I put What we call a puls tester in the wire's injector , see pic pulstester, I have no movement there

by a car you see the led flicker

any suggestions what else i can test ?

greetings from Holland

Obbe

http://www.airchair.nl/1.jpg

http://www.airchair.nl/2.jpg

http://www.airchair.nl/pulstester.jpg

Edited by bijlaard

Check to see if your ECM/EFI relay is working. This relay tells your ECM (via an input) to let the engine run, and also sends +12 volts to your injectors. The ECM pulses the -12 volt side.

Check to see if your ECM/EFI relay is working. This relay tells your ECM (via an input) to let the engine run, and also sends +12 volts to your injectors. The ECM pulses the -12 volt side.

The ECM/EFI relay is working,

Just bought a new inflammation house (Ignition house) for my boat

(getting just very sick, that it wil not spark)

Is there anything to watch out for when I mount it? meaning:

does somebody know where i can find info about the for ignition (is it like a car?)

my engine is a :

350 magnum multi port injection

engine serial number OK145676

model magnum 350 mpi gen+

I would be very happy if somebody could help me with this issue

thnx in front

greetings from Holland

Obbe

Edited by bijlaard

The ECM/EFI relay is working,

Just bought a new inflammation house (Ignition house) for my boat

(getting just very sick, that it wil not spark)

Is there anything to watch out for when I mount it? meaning:

does somebody know where i can find info about the for ignition (is it like a car?)

my engine is a :

350 magnum multi port injection

engine serial number OK145676

model magnum 350 mpi gen+

I would be very happy if somebody could help me with this issue

thnx in front

greetings from Holland

Obbe

Are you positive your not getting spark?

Are you positive your not getting spark?

Just mounted teh new ingnition housing

Getting spark en pulse on the injectors

It makes sounds but is not running yet.

like my previous post, can someone tell me where to find the timing stuff (for-ignition) etc. ?

10 degrees 15 ??? (before highest point)?

sorry if my englisch issn't clear enough, my speaking is better, writing is s*** :-)

greetings from Holland

Obbe

Just mounted teh new ingnition housing

Getting spark en pulse on the injectors

It makes sounds but is not running yet.

like my previous post, can someone tell me where to find the timing stuff (for-ignition) etc. ?

10 degrees 15 ??? (before highest point)?

sorry if my englisch issn't clear enough, my speaking is better, writing is s*** :-)

greetings from Holland

Obbe

Should be 10degrees before top dead center.

Try this info

Edited by areamike

How is the quality and quantity of your fuel? Are you sure you're getting fuel in the rails? And at the proper presure/

Was any fuel left over from last year stabilized?

How about your fuel pump? Is that 'priming up' when you turn the key on?

Fuel filter plugged up?

Edited by rts

After looking at the pics you posted it appears you had a lot of moisture or condensation under your distributor. Get a new cap and rotor and clean all that corrosion up as a start. Make sure to mark you wires on the distributor so you dont get them out of order when you switch

A rule of thumb that I use is to go back and look at what was the last thing I did prior to the malfunction. Usually, that is where I can find the problem. You indicate it ran when you took it out, what were the steps you took when you put it away? It could be the smallest thing you can think of that might cause something to happen.

I agree, there looks like a lot of moisture in the distributor area, that needs attention. Based on your comments and with a lot of moisture in the distributor, the engine can easily be firing the incorrect cylinder via a cross fire due to moisture. It will make sounds but not run. Clean it up or replace the corroded parts and try again.

Good luck.

Be sure shifter is in neutral.

Ha - that happened to me last summer. In my defense, my son was the one in the boat and assured me that the battery was dead. It wouldn't start after using a battery jumper either. I finally figured it out after we got the boat home and I went through everything. Felt like an idiot.