Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help!!! Bent Rudder!!

So today I took the bu out to enjoy the first beautiful Texas saturday afternoon and on my way back to take it out of the water I go under a bridge and hit a block of concrete or something; so now the prop is bent and the rudder is bent back also, everything else looks fine. Where do I find a new rudder assembly without going to the dealer??

Edited by bnew03xti

Call your insurance company, If you bent the rudder there is a good chance the shaft and strut are also bent.

Marine hardware is the vendor that makes the stuff for Malibu.

-Chris

Call your insurance company, If you bent the rudder there is a good chance the shaft and strut are also bent.

Marine hardware is the vendor that makes the stuff for Malibu.

-Chris

I need to double check, but after I pulled it out of the water all I could see was that two prop blades were slightly bent, but there was the 1" by 3" oval spot where the prop just took off the gel coat, and the rudder was bent back a little; I was still able to steer so I think I might have hit something softer that concrete. Thanks for the help.

I hit something last year that seemd to have only bent one prop blade and bent the rudder back into the gelcoat. As it turns out, the shaft was bent, but the tranny wasn't out of line. I looked into doing it myself but ended up filing a claim as repairs at the dealer were $4,000. Some people told me about a shop in the Houston area that bends rudders back, but decided to just get the whole thing fixed. The dealer said the metal is not near as strong if altered. I'm not sure if that is just dealer talk or what. The difference in my deductable vs. shaft, rudder, prop repair wasn't enough to justify doing it myself.

Edited by fijidaniel

I need to double check, but after I pulled it out of the water all I could see was that two prop blades were slightly bent, but there was the 1" by 3" oval spot where the prop just took off the gel coat, and the rudder was bent back a little; I was still able to steer so I think I might have hit something softer that concrete. Thanks for the help.

If you whacked something hard enough to drive the prop into the fiberglass and bent the 1/2" stainless steel rudder shaft, I would most certainly take the boat to a dealership to have it looked at. Like 99 said above, the shaft, and strut are probably bent, plus there could be lots of other hidden damage. Fiberglass work will be about $100/hr, and that repair is not going to be a quick one.....

If you whacked something hard enough to drive the prop into the fiberglass and bent the 1/2" stainless steel rudder shaft, I would most certainly take the boat to a dealership to have it looked at. Like 99 said above, the shaft, and strut are probably bent, plus there could be lots of other hidden damage. Fiberglass work will be about $100/hr, and that repair is not going to be a quick one.....

I agree, the strut is bent and probably the shaft. Make sure you check them both.