Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with a Bimini cover on

FlatH20

poked around the forums - couldn't locate exactly what I was looking for and was hoping you folks could render some advice.

any of you folks tow with the bimini cover on? I've towed a couple times in town - less the 50mph don't see any issues but also don't want to ruin what I've got. boats an 08 Vride - any thoughts would be be appreciated

Are you talking about the cover for the bimini? Or the bimini top itself?

I tow around town with the bimini top up, keeping it under about 40 or 45 mph. And I tow with the bimini folded up, tied to the tower upright & the cover installed all the time at freeway speeds.

I wouldn't tow with the bimini deployed as the lift it could cause might lift your boat up and into the oncoming lane :unsure: .

Ok kidding, I wouldn't do it as I'm sure the bimini manufacturer would advise against it as well. If you're talking about towing it through a neighborhood to the lauch I'd say no big deal. On freeway or highway I'll say no way not worth it.

Edited by 06vlx

yes - deployed is the term I was looking for low speeds seem fine and yes - I'll tow through the hood to the launch - do any of you have any pics of what it looks like folded up - I just got mine a couple weeks back and had no problems with the install - not certain what it's supposed to look like folded up riding on the tower... thanks in advance

yes - deployed is the term I was looking for low speeds seem fine and yes - I'll tow through the hood to the launch - do any of you have any pics of what it looks like folded up - I just got mine a couple weeks back and had no problems with the install - not certain what it's supposed to look like folded up riding on the tower... thanks in advance

This is my old boat with the bimini folded on the tower and how yours should look.

IMG_1271.jpg

Very funny Pete...

Bill - thanks for the pic - that is exactly what I was looking for - and it is an illusion X tower. also we'll be in CDA towards the end of july for a week, if you're around I'll provide a complimentary set for your efforts

many thanks

Very funny Pete...

Bill - thanks for the pic - that is exactly what I was looking for - and it is an illusion X tower. also we'll be in CDA towards the end of july for a week, if you're around I'll provide a complimentary set for your efforts

many thanks

That's nice but Bill didn't post the pic for you :whistle: .

my bad - Sorry 06VLX - many thanks- gonna go make my bimini look like the pic you posted - incidentally - another malibu bonus - you can put the tower up in the garage...

No Worries Pete -

I presume that one has to remove the front frame and store that elsewhere in the boat when the bimini is in transport mode??? if not let me know - I took mine out of the canvas is this how most others go into transport mode?

No Worries Pete -

I presume that one has to remove the front frame and store that elsewhere in the boat when the bimini is in transport mode??? if not let me know - I took mine out of the canvas is this how most others go into transport mode?

I kept it all in the canvas bag and always kept the bag on the bimini when it wasn't in use.

I left mine up by accident once, I guess I was distracted by the fact I had snapped my drive shaft. I drove down the highway at 70+ mph. Got home to see it still up, to my shock. I wouldn't recommend it, or do it again, but nothing was damaged.

poked around the forums - couldn't locate exactly what I was looking for and was hoping you folks could render some advice.

any of you folks tow with the bimini cover on? I've towed a couple times in town - less the 50mph don't see any issues but also don't want to ruin what I've got. boats an 08 Vride - any thoughts would be be appreciated

I wouldn't recommend it but a lot of our customers have done it 70+ A few broke the top but for the most part a lot of them survived just fine.

-Paul

I tow at freeway speed with the bimini in its canvas bag, but have noticed that I now have at least one very small hole from vibration wear while small flapping inside the bag. No big deal, but if you don't want any damage then take it off completely when towing.

I tow at freeway speed with the bimini in its canvas bag, but have noticed that I now have at least one very small hole from vibration wear while small flapping inside the bag. No big deal, but if you don't want any damage then take it off completely when towing.

Was the OP talking about towing with the boot on? Towing with it on the tower in the boot is no problem but I agree if you want to avoid any damage, i would put it in the boot and throw it on the floor of the boat/storage or the back of the truck.

-Paul

I towed our boat all over hell and back last year with the open wide with no issue what so ever....... 70+

Another buddy of ours has never taken is down(247 don't cast that much of a shadow)for the last 3 years and has not had any issue that I know of

I towed our boat all over hell and back last year with the open wide with no issue what so ever....... 70+

Another buddy of ours has never taken is down(247 don't cast that much of a shadow)for the last 3 years and has not had any issue that I know of

Consider yourself lucky, your friend too.