Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Wakesetter DD

WayneO

Hi I am looking at purchasing a 1998 wakesetter DD with 383 hours on it, it has a 350 EFI engine and fitted with a tower, bimini, wedge, perfect pass and many other extras. This would be used as our family boat for wakeboarding. Asking price of $16000. The boat looks very tidy inside and out. Has anyone got an opinion on this model boat, and is it worth going to look at it? Is there anything I should be looking for in this model that could be suspect? Any opinions welcome, thanks.

If it's going to be your wakeboard boat...why get a direct drive? The only reason to get a DD is for a better slalom wake. A V-Drive would be a superior wakeboard boat in every aspect. Better wakeboard wake, more storage for gear, more convenient seating, rear lockers for additional ballast, more places for VAB to sit,...

If it's going to be your wakeboard boat...why get a direct drive? The only reason to get a DD is for a better slalom wake. A V-Drive would be a superior wakeboard boat in every aspect. Better wakeboard wake, more storage for gear, more convenient seating, rear lockers for additional ballast, more places for VAB to sit,...

I don't think Malibu technically made a dd wakesetter in 98. You might want to inquire about that. Assuming that it's actually a Sunsetter LX (closest match to a dd wakesetter config that year) I would say his asking is pretty high. Visit Nadaguides.com for ballpark estimates on pricing.

Thanks would love a v-drive but a bit out of my price range. I was a bit curious about the 1998 wakesetter asked the seller if it was a sunsetter lx but he did not know. It has the wakesetter decals on the side. Does anyone know if they did make a 1998 wakesetter DD? I have 3 young children and will prob teach them to ski and board but I will board, I have ridden behind many responses and have liked the wake with SV23 hull, so was thinking with the walk through bow it would be handy. Thanks

Thanks would love a v-drive but a bit out of my price range. I was a bit curious about the 1998 wakesetter asked the seller if it was a sunsetter lx but he did not know. It has the wakesetter decals on the side. Does anyone know if they did make a 1998 wakesetter DD? I have 3 young children and will prob teach them to ski and board but I will board, I have ridden behind many responses and have liked the wake with SV23 hull, so was thinking with the walk through bow it would be handy. Thanks

Everything that I see says no wakesetters in 98 This a very handy resource I think some people updated the decals which made future owners think their boat was something it technically wasn't. Ask the owner for the hull number and call Malibu. Sounds like you need vdrive anyways!!

Thanks I looked in the specifications and that is why I thought I would ask the question. I will ask the the owner for the hull number that is a very good idea.

Regardless of the exact year, it sounds like you might be on to an early Wakesetter. Dig into it, Have a mechanic look it over. And get on it. Might be some early model worth knowing about..... at least.

I just paid 16 for a 2001 sunsetter with 310 hours. I could not find a Malibu V drive in good shape for under 20.

Edited by windy1

Wakesetter or Sunsetter LX doesn't really make a difference, its all just stickers.

$16k is a decent price considering the EFI, low hours, tower, PP, etc.

Its a great cross over boat if you do multiple sports, that hull was around for quite a few years so you know it is a good design.

-Chris

Wakesetter or Sunsetter LX doesn't really make a difference, its all just stickers.

$16k is a decent price considering the EFI, low hours, tower, PP, etc.

Its a great cross over boat if you do multiple sports, that hull was around for quite a few years so you know it is a good design.

-Chris

I have an 04 Wakesetter DD and really enjoy the boat, and yes purchase price made a difference. It will make a good wake for boarding and with the ballest empty and wedge up the wake is pretty good for skiing. Since you will be teaching three small kids on watersports the smaller wake will be an asset as they may be intimidated by the wake of a V drive, even when they start boarding. I have seen multiple inverts behind my boat and have landed a few myself the boat will make a good wake for most riders.

I won't comment on storage and people space since the motor box tends to take up a lot of that space but it does makes a darn good lunch table and foot rest.

Check the boat out and check NADA for pricing information.

Since the hours are so low check where it has been stored for all this time.

REW

I had a '99 for three years. It was a great boat, never once did I have a mechanical issue with it. It made a decent wake for a beginner/intermediate rider. I was able to do several inverts with just a couple of people in the boat and the wedge down.