Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strut bearing.....is this a problem?

Last new thread, I hope....

I suppose if I have to ask the question, I should be concerned. Take a look at the pic below.

IMG_0669.JPG

See that black piece sticking out the back of the driveshaft support....It looks like it below IN the support, not poking half way out, correct?

Thing is, I'm not sure when that came out and whether or not it's affecting performance. What are everyones thought?

I may have answered my own question, but I'll post here just to keep the discussion going. And who knows, it might help someone else...

Found this on the Bakes site:

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1027

It looks like my bushing is coming out of that little brass sleeve. If that is the case, how exactly do I pop the old bushing out and put the new one in? Is it a simply press fit?

Just got done replacing the strut bearings on my boat - loads of fun! I did them the "usual" way - removed the prop shaft, used a hacksaw to cut a groove almost through the bearings, and then using a screw driver & hammer, carefully collapsed them and tapped them out. There is tool called a "Strut Pro" that allows you to press them out without removing the shaft, but it's $400!! or you can rent one for $150.

Just got done replacing the strut bearings on my boat - loads of fun! I did them the "usual" way - removed the prop shaft, used a hacksaw to cut a groove almost through the bearings, and then using a screw driver & hammer, carefully collapsed them and tapped them out. There is tool called a "Strut Pro" that allows you to press them out without removing the shaft, but it's $400!! or you can rent one for $150.

Item 2101 might have made your life a little easier.....hindsight being 20/20 and all

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1118

You will need to press that bushing back in place or replace it. Check to see why the bushing backed out, check the set screws for both the front and rear bushing pressed in the strut. They keep the bushing from backing out.

Next question...I'm planning to do as much of this myself as I can.

Step 1: getting the strut off. I've discovered the strut us held in with 7/32" allen head bolts. But it also appears there is some sort of sealant sandwiched between the strut and the hull. What sealant is this and where can I get it?

thanks!

Next question...I'm planning to do as much of this myself as I can.

Step 1: getting the strut off. I've discovered the strut us held in with 7/32" allen head bolts. But it also appears there is some sort of sealant sandwiched between the strut and the hull. What sealant is this and where can I get it?

thanks!

No need to remove the strut. Some will recommend removing it to press the old bearings out and the new ones in, but that's a lot of trouble and you have to worry about alignment. I suggest either cutting the old bearings out or getting a puller. You can "press" the new bearings in with a length of threaded rod run through the strut with nuts and fender washers on both ends.

martinarcher

No need to remove the strut. Some will recommend removing it to press the old bearings out and the new ones in, but that's a lot of trouble and you have to worry about alignment. I suggest either cutting the old bearings out or getting a puller. You can "press" the new bearings in with a length of threaded rod run through the strut with nuts and fender washers on both ends.

That's exactly how I would do it.

Last new thread, I hope....

I suppose if I have to ask the question, I should be concerned. Take a look at the pic below.

IMG_0669.JPG

See that black piece sticking out the back of the driveshaft support....It looks like it below IN the support, not poking half way out, correct?

Thing is, I'm not sure when that came out and whether or not it's affecting performance. What are everyones thought?

That is a issue. Also if you have bushings sliding out like that you most likly have a alignment or vibration issue as well so make sure to check the engine alignment and maybe send your prop in to make its in balance.

-Paul