Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WI weigh stations

RedOwl

Do you mean the ones off the interstate? Not sure on that. But, there should be a truck stop near you that anybody can weigh on. Usually around $8 or so.

Most all big travel centers or truckstops like Flying J or Pilot will have scales. I wouldn't pull in one off the interstate since you're not a commercial vehicle, they might mess with you and find something to site you for.

Most all big travel centers or truckstops like Flying J or Pilot will have scales. I wouldn't pull in one off the interstate since you're not a commercial vehicle, they might mess with you and find something to site you for.

I agree. They are looking to make sure trucks are in compliance, be on the lookout for illegal stuff, etc. You may innocently go there and get detained for an hour, and have your stuff searched. Pay at the travel center, and get a slushie too.

I agree. They are looking to make sure trucks are in compliance, be on the lookout for illegal stuff, etc. You may innocently go there and get detained for an hour, and have your stuff searched. Pay at the travel center, and get a slushie too.

I agree,

I would never pull into a State Highway patrol manned station to weigh my rig just to find out there's some law you didn't know about and you're in violation.

Yup, and with CSA2010 coming in July it's going to get worse! What weight is your tow vehicle registered for? What about the condition of:

tires

lights

exhaust

visible leaks

load securement

etc.

if they're having a bad day they will find something to write you up on. Don't subject yourself to the possibility.

Edited by Ndawg12

At my landfill, when any vehicle pulls up to the "gate house", you're already on a scale. They don't pay any attention to your weight unless you're a commercial vehicle thats gonna dump a lot of garbage.

So one day, I pull up in my F-250 to drop off a motorcycle tire and I ask the guy "hey, how much do I weigh?"

He points to the scale read out showing...7000 lbs. I couldn't believe just me and a tank of gas in the truck weighed that much.

I weighed my truck on the scale at the truck stops on hwy 51 near I94/90/39. I think its the Pine Cone truck stop. The have a big "Cat Scales" sigh there. I don't think it cost more then $10. This was about 8 years ago when I lived in the DeForest area. I have not been by there in years though.

In Oregon the weigh stations are often closed.

I have weighed all of my rigs a few times when the stations are closed.

They leave the scale in operation so you can pull onto them at any time.

I have never been hassled in 20 years of doing this.

For reference: you will weigh more than you think you should.

2002 GMC Duramax with snug top canopy weight is 6760 # with driver.

GMC towing Spyder 175HP O/B boat: 3850# front, 3050# rear, boat axle 2600#

GMC towing 21 foot Komfort trailer: 3700# front, 4300# rear, trailer axle 4800#

2006 Porsche AWD Carrera 4S convertible: 3850#

Edited by DONTW8

Many business also own truck scales. most will weigh you for a couple of bucks. Try grain elevators, feed mills, fertilizer plants, gravel quarries, cement plants, many bigger cheese plants or most any business that handles bulk materials. these privet scales are usually certified and most places will weigh privet vehicles without question. Since you are in the Madison area PM me for a scale location close to home.

Edited by walnuthill

Many business also own truck scales. most will weigh you for a couple of bucks. Try grain elevators, feed mills, fertilizer plants, gravel quarries, cement plants, many bigger cheese plants or most any business that handles bulk materials. these privet scales are usually certified and most places will weigh privet vehicles without question. Since you are in the Madison area PM me for a scale location close to home.

Yup, and with CSA2010 coming in July it's going to get worse! What weight is your tow vehicle registered for? What about the condition of:

tires

lights

exhaust

visible leaks

load securement

etc.

if they're having a bad day they will find something to write you up on. Don't subject yourself to the possibility.

the inference that i drew from your post is that private parties towing recreational trailers is part of the csa2010 mandate.

after wandering the csa2010 web site for 5 minutes i did not find any non-commercial reference.

did i miss something or are you making an assumption that private towing will be the natural extension of csa2010 by a ubiquitous government?

edited re: hijack. just yelp if this hijacks the thread and i will start a new csa2010 thread.

Edited by tvano

the inference that i drew from your post is that private parties towing recreational trailers is part of the csa2010 mandate.

after wandering the csa2010 web site for 5 minutes i did not find any non-commercial reference.

did i miss something or are you making an assumption that private towing will be the natural extension of csa2010 by a ubiquitous government?

edited re: hijack. just yelp if this hijacks the thread and i will start a new csa2010 thread.

What I meant was that with CSA2010 coming these weigh stations are probably going to be more uptight than they all ready are. I am not making any assumptions pertaining to regulations for private hauling. Just stating that if someone goes rolling into a weigh station with a truck and a boat amongst a bunch commercial haulers you may be incriminating yourself without knowing it and even though your intentions were good.

At my landfill, when any vehicle pulls up to the "gate house", you're already on a scale. They don't pay any attention to your weight unless you're a commercial vehicle thats gonna dump a lot of garbage.

So one day, I pull up in my F-250 to drop off a motorcycle tire and I ask the guy "hey, how much do I weigh?"

He points to the scale read out showing...7000 lbs. I couldn't believe just me and a tank of gas in the truck weighed that much.

Stop drinking all the winterbock....Whistling.gif

What I meant was that with CSA2010 coming these weigh stations are probably going to be more uptight than they all ready are. I am not making any assumptions pertaining to regulations for private hauling. Just stating that if someone goes rolling into a weigh station with a truck and a boat amongst a bunch commercial haulers you may be incriminating yourself without knowing it and even though your intentions were good.

my bad; i read too much into it.

i follow you now.

thanks for the reply.