Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Annual Boating Music?

Boomer

Do you guys ever had a tendency to latch onto a few CD's or songs each summer, that forever snap you back to the boat, and water every time you hear them?

For some reason each summer a few songs or CD's get played a lot on the lake, and end up being my "boat songs" that remind of that summer.

A couple years back I remember every time I'd hear "Take a Ride" by Nelly, it would flash me back to the boat, lol.

This summer, it's the entire Pretty Ricky "Bluestars" CD my son turned me onto. I can't hear that CD at all without thinking of a day on the lake...and I'm not even usually into that kind of music, hah.

My subwoofer kicks butt on that CD, lol.

Can you think of what songs you instantly associate with the lake, and even what year?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LouDoc

• jetskipro550

• brazosvet

• Boomer

Garth Brooks - "The River" ROFL.gif

Seriously, my family would take a week long trip every summer when I was younger and we would always roll that song in our 16' Ebbtide while trolling with our Johnson 115.

Now other genres bless our slightly better sound system and our slightly rommier LSV. POD's "Alive" often seems to come up when I'm putting the board on. What a sweet feeling of hearing the sub bumpin' and looking at the glass you are about to ride.

For me this summer has been

G. Love

Gorillaz

Jack Johnson

Audioslave

Breaking Benjamin

Bowling for Soup

Lots more really - large capacity mp3 players change favorites to whatever is your whim.

My wife likes to here: 'A Little Less Conersation' by Elvis (the theme song from the show 'Vegas') every time we leave the Marina. Now, everytime we watch that show on Monday's we both smile about the weekend and unfortunately look forward to the next.....

Other than that, 'Boys of Summer' by the Ataris gets me in the mood for summer.

On the boat, the Ipod has over 1,200 songs....... and the songs we play depends on the company Biggrin.gif

POD's "Alive" often seems to come up when I'm putting the board on. What a sweet feeling of hearing the sub bumpin' and looking at the glass you are about to ride.

Also “Boom” by p.o.d. hits the MP3 player a lot on our boat

I agree with Brad our player has over 400 albums, more than 5,000 songs on it, what we listen to really varies from weekend to weekend. For instance we have a ALT music mix play list (p.o.d., prodigy, godsmack, limp bizkit, 3 doors down, 311, blink 182, chevelle, fuel, etc.) that is about 16 hours long that usually gets played, at some point Jimmy Buffet usually makes an appearance, O.A.R., Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Soul Hat, ZZ Top, just to mention a few.

Since we really have gotten into foiling lately the alt. stuff has been getting a lot of play, eventhough we usually are not into alt.

Puddle Of Mud

STP

Creed

Audioslave

Rockon.gif

Am I a lot older than I think I am? I haven't heard of any of these folks, with the exception of ZZ Top. Is this a boarders only music selection?

Wow do I feel really really old, all of a sudden. Cry.gif

Am I a lot older than I think I am?  I haven't heard of any of these folks, with the exception of ZZ Top.  Is this a boarders only music selection?

I'm right there with you. However, I did see Audioslave mentioned a few times. The newest CD they have out is OUTSTANDING. But then again, I was a fan of Soundgarden back in the 90's.

NO rap music of ANY kind is allowed on my boat. Or county for that matter.

I really wasn't just talking about music you listen to in general on the boat, but songs you've just heard so many times on the water, it flashes you back to being in the boat.

There's lots of music I listen to on the boat that never rose to the level of me attaching it to the boat.

I lean to rock when on the water, for sheer volume alone.

New'ish stuff:

Saliva

Puddle of Mudd

Lincoln Park

3-doors Down

Kidd Rock

etc.

I also like listening to lots of older rock from the 80's, including hair rock. :) Nothing like some Scorpions, Van Halen, or AC/DC blasting across the lake.

Anyway, most of that stuff I already knew before hitting the lake, so it doesn't get associated with the water. I also listen to C&W a lot off the lake, but very rarely on the water.

Anyway, for this thread, I was looking for songs you hear on the radio, and it instantly transports you back to the water, and you can even recall some events from that summer on the lake. Ahh, boat memories. :)

Am I a lot older than I think I am?  I haven't heard of any of these folks, with the exception of ZZ Top.  Is this a boarders only music selection?

I'm 48 with rock in my blood.

I was gonna be a rock star when I grew up but had to settle for pharmacist.

The killers

Franz Ferdinand

Guns and Roses

Black Eyed Peas

As for soem throwback...you're gonna laugh...Lionel Ritchie with some Billy Ocean. They jam.

Before a set, I always like some techno. Oakenfold just rules that.

Stone Temple Pilots "CORE" brings back great memories of when I was learning to barefoot. Back when I was made of rubber instead of scar tissue.

That was a LONG time ago.

Edited by Headhunter 2317

Toadies "I come from the water' and Bloodhound Gang 'Boom' I think it's called. It's the one that Shaun Murray rode to in Mayday. We played that song a lot on our Lake Powell trips and every time I hear it I think of the houseboat and the red rock.

I created a "Boat Tunes" list on my iPod that is standard fare on the boat. Each of us have our own list that we put on when we're out there. This year the song that takes me to the water is the Linkin Park/JayZ combo Encore/Numb.

The Shania Twain tune they used on the 03 Malibu DVD eye candy section has become our family's musical symbol of our times on the boat. It's almost a crime to play that song in the winter - get's everyone down during the grey cold days. "Soak up the sun" is also a classic "boat song" from the same segment.

I really wasn't just talking about music you listen to in general on the boat, but songs you've just heard so many times on the water, it flashes you back to being in the boat.

There's lots of music I listen to on the boat that never rose to the level of me attaching it to the boat.

I lean to rock when on the water, for sheer volume alone.

New'ish stuff:

Saliva

Puddle of Mudd

Lincoln Park

3-doors Down

Kidd Rock

etc.

I also like listening to lots of older rock from the 80's, including hair rock. :) Nothing like some Scorpions, Van Halen, or AC/DC blasting across the lake.

Anyway, most of that stuff I already knew before hitting the lake, so it doesn't get associated with the water. I also listen to C&W a lot off the lake, but very rarely on the water.

Anyway, for this thread, I was looking for songs you hear on the radio, and it instantly transports you back to the water, and you can even recall some events from that summer on the lake. Ahh, boat memories. :)

I knew what you were asking, all of the songs that I listed do remind me of boating/sitting in the boat in the garage with the stereo on :unsure: