Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 response

kfelgnar

Hey guys, Im going to go look at a 2000 response LX with the LS1 engine tomorrow ( 6 hours drive away). The boat looks really good from the pictures, 2nd owner and just over 145 hrs. Just wondering if there is anything to watch out for on these boats? Any help would be great.

Edited by kfelgnar

Hey guys, Im going to go look at a 2000 response LX with the LS1 engine tomorrow ( 6 hours drive away). The boat looks really good from the pictures, 2nd owner and just over 145 hrs. Just wondering if there is anything to watch out for on these boats? Any help would be great. Here is the add. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819056

I was considering traveling (I live in Southern Oregon) to look at the same one. Somehow I stumbled on the website of the original owner - 2000 Malibu - and found that he had multiple issues with the motor. The issues may have been taken care of after the repairs, but I wanted to share as it was enough to turn me away. Only other issue with the LS-1 that I could find during my research was that you could not purchase a hot water shower - though you could probably rig one off of the heat exchanger.

Anyways, I hope everything works out for you if you decide to purchase.

I was considering traveling (I live in Southern Oregon) to look at the same one. Somehow I stumbled on the website of the original owner - 2000 Malibu - and found that he had multiple issues with the motor. The issues may have been taken care of after the repairs, but I wanted to share as it was enough to turn me away. Only other issue with the LS-1 that I could find during my research was that you could not purchase a hot water shower - though you could probably rig one off of the heat exchanger.

Anyways, I hope everything works out for you if you decide to purchase.

Man, what were the chances of you seeing the OP’s post? Show the seller the link and see what he has to say about.

As for the boat I don’t care for the open bow without a walk through. Climbing over the windshield to sit in the bow would get old after doing it just once.

thats weird, i was doing some research last night and came across that same web site but didn't put two and two together. Oh well i will just have to show the seller the website and see what we can agree on. As for the walk over dash, im sure it might get old but im not sitting up there. Its also really hard to find the LS1 powered response up here or around for a descent price. (Vancouver British columbia). Thanks for the help guys!

Man, what were the chances of you seeing the OP’s post? Show the seller the link and see what he has to say about.

As for the boat I don’t care for the open bow without a walk through. Climbing over the windshield to sit in the bow would get old after doing it just once.

It's not that bad. My dad had a '99 RLX until 2004 - he sold it after I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident - that we used for skiing and boarding. The ski wake was world class; I preferred it to my wife's parent's '00 SN 196. Plus, I could build a monster wakeboard wake and wakesurfing wave using two 350# fat sacks. I've yet to be in any other boat with this type of versatility.

thats weird, i was doing some research last night and came across that same web site but didn't put two and two together. Oh well i will just have to show the seller the website and see what we can agree on. As for the walk over dash, im sure it might get old but im not sitting up there. Its also really hard to find the LS1 powered response up here or around for a descent price. (Vancouver British columbia). Thanks for the help guys!

I don't know how to reply to two different posts, so I'm doing it separately...

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat on getting an LS1 motor. As I mentioned above, my dad owned a '99 for 6 years with the standard EFI Monsoon motor. It was more than enough for course skiing and recreational boarding. We put over 500 hours on the boat and had no problems with it.

BTW, let us know how you do on the PDX boat if you end purchasing it. I'm curious to see what they have to say about original owner's problems.

Edited by Atticus

That is really low hours! Who else has a boat that old with that many hours?

They're out there. In '99 I purchased a '90 Malibu Skier that had 130 hours. The guy bought it, used it enough to keep everything in working order, kept it in his garage. It was one clean boat.

I kind of like my walk over entry to my open bow. Keeps the rif-raf from walking back and forth to the bow all day long.

Whoa, check out the woodgrain steering wheel. :rockon:

If you look at the malibu graphics you can see they are not the same boat

If you look at the malibu graphics you can see they are not the same boat

nice catch. Unless the current owner replaced them.

Check this pic

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Images.aspx?ItemID=819056&ImageID=32788

Doesn't look very straight. Whoever put that malibu logo on was cross-eyed.

Trailer wheels match. I'm saying same boat, with new malibu graphics stuck on crooked to boot.

Edited by areamike

nice catch. Unless the current owner replaced them.

Check this pic

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Images.aspx?ItemID=819056&ImageID=32788

Doesn't look very straight. Whoever put that malibu logo on was cross-eyed.

Trailer wheels match. I'm saying same boat, with new malibu graphics stuck on crooked to boot.

Nah, someone was probably eating a non subway sandwich nearby and the condiment gas leaching out of it bent the light. I was looking at those wheels too, nice!! To be honest, that boat looks pretty good but do you really need that motor to ski? When it comes to boats and trucks I say KISS.

[quote name='areamike' date='March 12, 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1268418937' post='369218'

x2! I wasn't sure at first, but if you read the original owner's website you'll notice that he order the interior in a solid color. I've been looking for an RLX or RLXI for months and have yet to see an interior done this way. Too much parity not to be the same boat.

Well its the same boat 100%. I ended up liking the walk over dash more then i would have thought. Did a compression test and other system checks (spent 3 hours) and turned out solid, test drive went very well. So we bought it from the broker. There are a couple items to touch up, a couple nicks in the keel but nothing bad at all, swim grid needs to be given some love, the interior has a couple little nicks as well. Overall i would say 8.5 out of 10. I dont think it was used very much for skiing, as the ski pole swivel head was very stiff. That will soon change, Cant wait to get behind it!

I have had a 2000 RLX for 5 seasons now with almost zero issues. Now mine has the Monsoon engine in it, which has proved to be bomb-proof. I have heard the LS1 can be a little challenging at times. I know my buddy as a 2005 RLXi with a HammerHead. It run good at speed, but it runs like crap at idol...even after it's warmed up. I'm sure that's not normal. Moral of the story is, test drive it. Put it through real world conditions. Do a few slalom starts....spin the boat around...and do another slalom start....run it outright for a little while..... I don't think you can go wrong with an RLX....good luck

Well its the same boat 100%. I ended up liking the walk over dash more then i would have thought. Did a compression test and other system checks (spent 3 hours) and turned out solid, test drive went very well. So we bought it from the broker. There are a couple items to touch up, a couple nicks in the keel but nothing bad at all, swim grid needs to be given some love, the interior has a couple little nicks as well. Overall i would say 8.5 out of 10. I dont think it was used very much for skiing, as the ski pole swivel head was very stiff. That will soon change, Cant wait to get behind it!

It might need a little grease.

kfelgnar

I bought an '02 RLX last spring with an LS1 as well. I have been very pleased with it. It had 173hrs when I got it and put 53 more on it last summer without a hitch. It starts instantly, idles smoothly and has great throttle response. The boat came with a Cutter 13x13.5 stainless and an Acme 13x12.625 prop. I used the Cutter prop all summer, it pulled the biggest slalomers up with ease, no cavition and a top speed of about 50mph. Mine came with 3 stainless tracking fins, strut and rudder, closed cooling (part of the LS1 upgrade), 3 outlet heater, wedge and Perfect Pass 6.5ng. The bonus of the LS1 besides all the power and torque is the engine is all aluminum, so it weighs about 250lbs less than the Monsoon= smaller slalom wake. The walk-over bow is no big deal and it gives a more comfortable observer seat. Over the winter I have added an Accon pop-up bow light and Attwood LED docking lights, upgraded my Perfect Pass gauge to the new with the larger LCD display and added a Plush Pro. I hope you enjoy yours as much I have. If you have any questions about your 'Bu,just it on here and the Crew will come through. I posted a link to photos of my boat and course.

Enjoy

Gary

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/Hydrogasm/2002%20Malibu%20Response%20SS/?albumview=slideshow

Edited by Hydrogasm

kfelgnar

I bought an '02 RLX last spring with an LS1 as well. I have been very pleased with it. It had 173hrs when I got it and put 53 more on it last summer without a hitch. It starts instantly, idles smoothly and has great throttle response. The boat came with a Cutter 13x13.5 stainless and an Acme 13x12.625 prop. I used the Cutter prop all summer, it pulled the biggest slalomers up with ease, no cavition and a top speed of about 50mph. Mine came with 3 stainless tracking fins, strut and rudder, closed cooling (part of the LS1 upgrade), 3 outlet heater, wedge and Perfect Pass 6.5ng. The bonus of the LS1 besides all the power and torque is the engine is all aluminum, so it weighs about 250lbs less than the Monsoon= smaller slalom wake. The walk-over bow is no big deal and it gives a more comfortable observer seat. Over the winter I have added an Accon pop-up bow light and LED docking lights, upgraded my Perfect Pass gauge to the new with the larger LCD display and added a Plush Pro. I hope you enjoy yours as much I have. If you have any questions about your 'Bu,just it on here and the Crew will come through. I posted a link to photos of my boat and course.

Enjoy

Gary

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/Hydrogasm/2002%20Malibu%20Response%20SS/?albumview=slideshow

Always loved that color scheme, trailer and cover setup. :thumbup:

Beautiful!

jk13

Yes, the Ski-Fly color scheme is rare. I had heard there were only a handful done that way. There was a thread regarding the boat last spring when I got it that had alot of info on it.

Thanks

Gary