Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is my wheel toast?

Alright guys, take a look at my lovely rim that lost in the battle against the curb yesterday. Is it repairable or should I go ahead and bury this one???

Goodrim.jpg

Before you toss it out pound on it with a large hammer. Get it back into the best shape you can and see if it will hold air. My wife did the same thing but blew out both right tires in a huge pot hole. I pounded on the rims to see if it would work. Sure enough, those rims lasted about 10 years till I sold the car.

Bury it. The cost of the Bu you have that is riding on it and/or the inconvience it will create if it fails (especially if it is used as a spare...and then fails) is never worth it. I"ve never had a boat trailer tire fail, but have had snowmobile trips cut short from trailer problems. Packed with gear, machines gassed up, the day off...goin' nowhere and spending the day making a repair (and ultimately buying a new wheel/tire anyway).

Maybe tie it to a 25' rope and drag it behind you for tailgaters.Smile.gif

Took the rim to a repair shop in hopes of maybe salvaging a matching spare, but it was a no go. The guys at Extreme Trailers got me a good shape used rim for $60, so I went that route. Definitely worth it in the end.

Took the rim to a repair shop in hopes of maybe salvaging a matching spare, but it was a no go. The guys at Extreme Trailers got me a good shape used rim for $60, so I went that route. Definitely worth it in the end.

Wise choice

Bury it. The cost of the Bu you have that is riding on it and/or the inconvience it will create if it fails (especially if it is used as a spare...and then fails) is never worth it. I"ve never had a boat trailer tire fail, but have had snowmobile trips cut short from trailer problems. Packed with gear, machines gassed up, the day off...goin' nowhere and spending the day making a repair (and ultimately buying a new wheel/tire anyway).

Maybe tie it to a 25' rope and drag it behind you for tailgaters.Smile.gif

Oh no you shouldn't have! You should have never mentioned not having a tire failure. I guess you will have 2 this year, unless you never tow it.