Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

advice on open bow cover for 03 RLXi

davemac

I'm not sure where it fits on my perpetual "wish list"... but am thinking about picking up a canvas open bow (tonneau) cover for my boat. As much as I hate the idea of having to put snaps on an otherwise clean hull, I feel it would help shed water on the occassional "bow dips"...particularly when someone else is driving the boat.

Just wondering if these are a stock item found through a dealer, or if best to have custom made? I see that GreatLakes does offer a version for my boat (but have not got a quote yet). I think I may have even seen some on ebay in the past.

Any opinions, pics, or tips on this matter would be helpful.

TIA,

Dave

Edited by davemac

I had one made for my Echelon while it was getting reupolstered, but it already had the snaps on it so it was an easy decision. I did it in red to match the interior beading on the seats, using the same vinyl. It looks good, like it's suddenly a closed bow boat. If it didn't already have snaps, not sure I would have proceeded.

That said, it will not keep your bow dry if you chili dip. It'll help shed water, but a lot will still get in. I mostly put it up when it's cold, close the bow window and we are wind blocked. Or, when I put it in the garage, the bow sticks out. If I'm leaving it that way for a few days or weeks in the spring then I'll put the bow cover on to keep it clean.

I'll second that. If you're doing it keep the bow dry I think you'd be really disappointed. Water would still get in between the bow deck and cover and, possibly worse, water could come up over the cover and into either the intake vents or right into the walkthrough.

Mike

Always wondered if the Malibu would make the Corvette bow cover for our boats. Same concept as a fiberglass tonnea cover on the bed of a pickup.

I bet a descent fiberglass guy could sell a few. :rockon:

Thanks for the input, guys. I have the plexiglass wind screen that fits in the walkout door, so that isn't as much of a concern. To follow up OP, I did get a quote from Great Lakes for $169....seems very reasonable. Still reluctant to drill snaps into my hull though...probably will keep a low priority for now, and possibly reconsider once season gets going.

Thanks for the input, guys. I have the plexiglass wind screen that fits in the walkout door, so that isn't as much of a concern. To follow up OP, I did get a quote from Great Lakes for $169....seems very reasonable. Still reluctant to drill snaps into my hull though...probably will keep a low priority for now, and possibly reconsider once season gets going.

I got a quote today for $199 from a custom cover guy. Mine already has snaps in the bow, otherwise I would never even consider adding one. And I don't have the wind block.

Good decision, wait a while. And while you're waiting, look at boats with snaps and see if it would bother you. Mine doesn't bother me so much because it is old and white, but on darker boats (I haven't looked at yours) it really stands out.

Keep the clean lines.