Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What tests to have them run

PStew67

I am going to have a Malibu dealer evaluate a used boat for me. Which tests would you guys recommend having the do (e.g. - compression?, water run, etc...?) without going overboard.

The boat is a 98 Direct-drive Sunsetter with 1300 hours. Thanks

Edited by PStew67

If it was me I would ask them for a complete evalution of the boat. I view it as the same thing as a vehicle inspection prior to buying it. I wanna know that it's not goingt o cost me an arm and a leg in repairs right after I bring it home. I would want to know if and when they thought I would need to repair or replace anything on the boat. especially if it had to do with the critical areas of the boat like engine, drive, required lighting, hull, and safety. My .02.

Most any dealer will already have a plan in place for this kind of evaluation. I'd expect it to be pretty complete, tip to stern, open everything up, inspect all the accessories, electronics, run the engine, check the oil, trans fluid, compression test, leak down test, check any data stored in the computer (if it has one), trailer lights, brakes, etc. I'd verify that before you bring the boat in.

And frankly I'd test drive the boat. Even if you had to pay for winterizing again. Things like trans shifting, any leaks, etc. are tough to diagnose running on the garden hose.

I've even had a dealer scope the cylinders on an outboard engine. He pulled the spark plugs to do a compression & leak down test, stuck his scope in there for a visual of the cylinder walls & found evidence of a bad ring, corrosion, scratches, etc. Ended up being the best $100 I spent on that motor...... and then walk away from it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

the hds worries me on used boats.

heck, the hds worries me on the boat that i bought new.

leaking hds isn't a huge problem but it's worth a few moments of thought.

not sure there is much a dealer can determine without testing it in the pond.

good luck with it and welcome to the site.