Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I feel like today was my first day oof boat ownership...

boardnxtx

Today in Dallas it was almost 80 degrees, so there was no way I could pass up on taking the boat out for the first time this year. I know, I've been slacking off, but just been busy with this and that and just now getting to take the VLX out for the first time this season. So once I pick up the boat, this is where my day from hell begins.

I don't get to meet up with my dad very often, so I call him after I picked up the boat to see if he wants to meet for lunch. He's busy at work, but says he can meet and we agree upon a place in his area that is as boat friendly you are going to get in his neck of the woods (i.e. busy Dallas). I pull into the shopping center parking lot and make a turn to look for a long strip of open parking spaces. I see one just as I'm passing a row and I slam on the breaks. I start to back up, but just notice an antenna from a car, so I quickly stop, and begin pulling forward to make another turn to back track towards the spaces. Just as I'm almost through the turn, I hear a loud noise and the truck shakes. I look in my rear view mirror and I've jumped a huge curb accidentally with the left side tires. Everything seems fine until I get into the parking spaces. I get out and see that I've bent my rim and popped the tire. Awesome! Luckily I have a spare and was able to change it and get the trailer drivable again. So I'm pissed off, but pull it together and grab lunch and make it home with no other incidences.

I park out front, charge the batteries, and wait for the wifey to get home so we can hit the lake. She arrives, changes, and we jump in the truck to head to the lake. We live about a half mile from a boat ramp and its practically a straight shot. As we pull up, I notice that the boat ramp is closed and I stop in my place, about 150 yards from the gate closing the ramp. There is a street that T's into the road that I'm on, so I tell myself I'm going to back up about 15' and make the turn to try and find another boat ramp open, instead of continuing and trying to find a safe place to u-turn. Once again, I look in my mirrors, see nothing, and start to back up. All the sudden, BOOOOOM. Instant OH S**T feeling. I slam on the brakes, put the truck in park, and jump out to see what I just hit. I get to about the middle of the boat and I see a 4-door Buick with a folded hood behind me. My heart instantly falls to the ground. Here comes the depression, idiot feelings, and everything else you can imagine. I looked in all three of my mirrors and didn't see anything, so I figured I was safe, so I guess the car was right up on my rear and I was not able to see them at all. I made sure the couple was OK, and grabbed my info to swap insurance. While the guy is writing down everything, I begin looking at the back of my boat. There is no instant visible damage to the boat and it appears that the wedge took all of the impact. I check out the transom, and I don't see any fiberglass or gel coat issues. The wedge wasn't even scratched. We exchange info, and I head to the boat ramp that was open. I triple check everything is OK and no damage is present before I put her in the water. I kept it tied up to the trailer for about 10min just to make sure something didn't go immediately wrong. Everything was good, so we head out. The boat runs pretty flawlessly, so I was happy for that.

The only two possible issues I have found so far:

1. This may have nothing to do with the wreck, but one of my tie downs that is attached to the trailer is all the sudden not reeling in when I release the hook. No biggie. But when I'm trying to re-tie down that side, a spring falls out of the bottom and it wont tighten up at all either. I'm now thinking that maybe the edge of the trailer hit the bumper of the car as my wedge was eating their hood? Any thoughts?

2. Again, this may also be normal, but I'm not sure. So I'm testing the wedge. I put it down, and immediately try to put it up. No bueno, won't go up. I play with it for a sec, and still nothing. I move forward about 50 yards, stop and try again. The wedge goes up. I try this multiple times and it appears the wedge will not go up and down right away. I was having to move and then stop to get the wedge to then move up. Is this normal? This was my first time out this season, could it be a calibration issue? I don't recall ever trying to move the wedge up and down like that, so not sure if this normal or not? Again, any thoughts?

Overall, my day from hell could have been way worse. No one was hurt except my ego. My wallet will hurt with the insurance claim on the car, but I'd rather pay then have someone hurt. The couple was super nice and they made it that much better. I'm going to go over the boat again tomorrow, as it was getting dark at the end of the day. I'd like to look at the tie down situation again to see if it is possible an impact post also. I'll probably take it by the dealership and have them check it out to double check everything is good to go.

Moral of the story, double check your mirrors and don't back down a public street. Yes, all things I learned as a kid, but sometimes we forget. Thank you, and I will commence drinking myself to sleep in hopes that this has all been a dream...

Today in Dallas it was almost 80 degrees, so there was no way I could pass up on taking the boat out for the first time this year. I know, I've been slacking off, but just been busy with this and that and just now getting to take the VLX out for the first time this season. So once I pick up the boat, this is where my day from hell begins.

I don't get to meet up with my dad very often, so I call him after I picked up the boat to see if he wants to meet for lunch. He's busy at work, but says he can meet and we agree upon a place in his area that is as boat friendly you are going to get in his neck of the woods (i.e. busy Dallas). I pull into the shopping center parking lot and make a turn to look for a long strip of open parking spaces. I see one just as I'm passing a row and I slam on the breaks. I start to back up, but just notice an antenna from a car, so I quickly stop, and begin pulling forward to make another turn to back track towards the spaces. Just as I'm almost through the turn, I hear a loud noise and the truck shakes. I look in my rear view mirror and I've jumped a huge curb accidentally with the left side tires. Everything seems fine until I get into the parking spaces. I get out and see that I've bent my rim and popped the tire. Awesome! Luckily I have a spare and was able to change it and get the trailer drivable again. So I'm pissed off, but pull it together and grab lunch and make it home with no other incidences.

I park out front, charge the batteries, and wait for the wifey to get home so we can hit the lake. She arrives, changes, and we jump in the truck to head to the lake. We live about a half mile from a boat ramp and its practically a straight shot. As we pull up, I notice that the boat ramp is closed and I stop in my place, about 150 yards from the gate closing the ramp. There is a street that T's into the road that I'm on, so I tell myself I'm going to back up about 15' and make the turn to try and find another boat ramp open, instead of continuing and trying to find a safe place to u-turn. Once again, I look in my mirrors, see nothing, and start to back up. All the sudden, BOOOOOM. Instant OH S**T feeling. I slam on the brakes, put the truck in park, and jump out to see what I just hit. I get to about the middle of the boat and I see a 4-door Buick with a folded hood behind me. My heart instantly falls to the ground. Here comes the depression, idiot feelings, and everything else you can imagine. I looked in all three of my mirrors and didn't see anything, so I figured I was safe, so I guess the car was right up on my rear and I was not able to see them at all. I made sure the couple was OK, and grabbed my info to swap insurance. While the guy is writing down everything, I begin looking at the back of my boat. There is no instant visible damage to the boat and it appears that the wedge took all of the impact. I check out the transom, and I don't see any fiberglass or gel coat issues. The wedge wasn't even scratched. We exchange info, and I head to the boat ramp that was open. I triple check everything is OK and no damage is present before I put her in the water. I kept it tied up to the trailer for about 10min just to make sure something didn't go immediately wrong. Everything was good, so we head out. The boat runs pretty flawlessly, so I was happy for that.

The only two possible issues I have found so far:

1. This may have nothing to do with the wreck, but one of my tie downs that is attached to the trailer is all the sudden not reeling in when I release the hook. No biggie. But when I'm trying to re-tie down that side, a spring falls out of the bottom and it wont tighten up at all either. I'm now thinking that maybe the edge of the trailer hit the bumper of the car as my wedge was eating their hood? Any thoughts?

2. Again, this may also be normal, but I'm not sure. So I'm testing the wedge. I put it down, and immediately try to put it up. No bueno, won't go up. I play with it for a sec, and still nothing. I move forward about 50 yards, stop and try again. The wedge goes up. I try this multiple times and it appears the wedge will not go up and down right away. I was having to move and then stop to get the wedge to then move up. Is this normal? This was my first time out this season, could it be a calibration issue? I don't recall ever trying to move the wedge up and down like that, so not sure if this normal or not? Again, any thoughts?

Overall, my day from hell could have been way worse. No one was hurt except my ego. My wallet will hurt with the insurance claim on the car, but I'd rather pay then have someone hurt. The couple was super nice and they made it that much better. I'm going to go over the boat again tomorrow, as it was getting dark at the end of the day. I'd like to look at the tie down situation again to see if it is possible an impact post also. I'll probably take it by the dealership and have them check it out to double check everything is good to go.

Moral of the story, double check your mirrors and don't back down a public street. Yes, all things I learned as a kid, but sometimes we forget. Thank you, and I will commence drinking myself to sleep in hopes that this has all been a dream...

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Be glad the boat is still in one piece. As for the wedge, you have to me moving forward or it will not go up. It is a built in safety feature.

Thanks Malibuzer, now that you say that, I remember it. Guess I lost my memory over the winter! I was so out of it after todays events. Hopefully I'll recover over night and not ask stupid questions after this...

Sorry man. Been there with the trailer tire.

My recommendation on the trailer, make sure you fix everything right the first time. Otherwise it will haunt you for years. Believe me, I know.

At first I wasn't going to read your post because it was so long. Then curiosity got the better of me. Your day was definitely the pits. But like you said, no one was hurt and you still got to have lunch with your dad. As for the tire, I never travel anywhere without a spare and a can of flat-fix.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read my sob story. I'm not a good story teller, but I'm sure you can imagine how I felt at the end of the day. Hell, its almost 2am and my nerves from the days events are still keeping me up. Just makes me sick that I hit that car. Oh well, ya live and ya learn. Definitely an eye opener and I'll have my head out of my rear from now on!!!

Maybe this will make you feel better, how fricken close was that car? Were they trying to read your hull vin? Ultimately it's still your fault and they may have been nice people but if you checked your mirrors and didn't see a Buick then I would say they were too damn close. Have any idea how far you rolled back before impact?

Man what a day, well I assume no one has respect for those traveling w/ trailers of any kind. If I can't be 100% that backing up won't cause and issue I'd have someone get out and look first. Easier playing Monday night QB, I know, but that could have avoided that situation. As for the curb, we've all done that at some point... Innocent.gif

Sorry about your bad luck. my wife and I had a good laugh but only because we have been there. I am glad that there wasn't anyone hurt or extensive damage to the Bu. Bet they won't pull up so close to a trailer anymore.

Sorry to hear about your day... I have done things with the boat and tow rig that are pretty embarrassing.

Last year I wasn't paying attention and I backed over rocks that were sticking out of the water (I new they were there, you can't miss them). I usually put at least a couple hundred hours of time on the water each season, so it wasn't like this was my first time.

Also, late last year my wife curbed one of the black wheels on her SUV. I wasn't too happy. She took care of everything and got it fixed. A week after we got the wheel back, I drove her rig and I did the same thing to the same wheel! haha...I learned my lesson.

Edited by elc

Bummer. Makes you feel like a complete idiot, huh. Well, shake it off, learn from the mistake & move on.

I've been doin this stuff for like 18 yrs., had several of my own boats, and KNOW how to drive (believe me, I tell people how to drive all the time). :innocent:

Last summer I went riding with a buddy on his boat, his truck on a lake near his house that I've never been to. Three of us rode after work, then we all chipped in & pulled the boat out to clean it up. I drove the truck, he drove the boat on the trailer, the 3rd guy hooked the bow hook up. I pulled them out of the lake, turned the corner & drove over to where our other vehicles were parked. The trees in the lot are pretty low so I'm weaving thru them so the tower doesn't rip any branches down into the boat, driving forward, but looking in the rearview mirror at the tower & tree branches. And like an idiot, I drove right into a tree..... a good size one too! :crazy:

I had the stereo off, window down, and like I said, was watching behind me to be sure I didn't hit anything..... and then hit something in FRONT of me. :Doh:

Luckily I wasn't going very fast, no air bags deployed, dinged up the bumper pretty good & punched it back a bit. Cost me a few hundred bucks for his bumper. And I still get a bad time about it. S H I T happens.

:rofl::rofl: That is comedy. :rofl::rofl:

Yea, thats what I was thinkin at the time. That a few other four letter words.

Serious brain fart..... I haven't had an accident of any kind since I was in high school, with or without the boat in tow!

And I still get a bad time about it.

That one will last a lifetime!

I fixed up a golf cart, painted it, lots of extras and brought it home two summers ago. I've driven golf carts a thousand times. On it's maiden voyage to a neighborhood bonfire with lots of people (witnesses), so new that you could still smell the paint on it, I parked and got off without setting the brake. Thought the ground was flat enough. Not so. Backwards she rolled, off the land, across the road, and down a 30' ravine. We run over to see it pinned up against the only bush in about 100' either way, only a couple of feet off down into the ravine. Pulled it up. Tiny scratch on the rear bumper from the 2" diameter bush trunk. Had it missed the bush, it would have likely barrel rolled and landed on the neighbor's SUV hood or in their living room.

So now, and presumably forever, anytime I go to drive or park that or any other cart....it starts. And I'm defenseless.

Good times...good times.

Comedy is when you try to stop a truck with your hand......LOL.gif

:( That most definitely was not comedy. :cry::no::cry: That was injury. :( Oh, and it was the boat I was attempting to stop...the truck was parked.

I should have let it hit the truck. :yes: Tailgates are cheaper than wrists.

Good stories guys, makes me feel like less of an idiot. I've got a new rim coming and after a further inspection, no damage to the boat. I came out lucky. Needless to say I didn't even think about towing the boat anywhere today! I need at least one day of mourning! haha, good times!

Thanks for all the kind words, I knew you guys were good for something :lol:

Bummer. Makes you feel like a complete idiot, huh. Well, shake it off, learn from the mistake & move on.

I've been doin this stuff for like 18 yrs., had several of my own boats, and KNOW how to drive (believe me, I tell people how to drive all the time). :innocent:

Last summer I went riding with a buddy on his boat, his truck on a lake near his house that I've never been to. Three of us rode after work, then we all chipped in & pulled the boat out to clean it up. I drove the truck, he drove the boat on the trailer, the 3rd guy hooked the bow hook up. I pulled them out of the lake, turned the corner & drove over to where our other vehicles were parked. The trees in the lot are pretty low so I'm weaving thru them so the tower doesn't rip any branches down into the boat, driving forward, but looking in the rearview mirror at the tower & tree branches. And like an idiot, I drove right into a tree..... a good size one too! :crazy:

I had the stereo off, window down, and like I said, was watching behind me to be sure I didn't hit anything..... and then hit something in FRONT of me. :Doh:

Luckily I wasn't going very fast, no air bags deployed, dinged up the bumper pretty good & punched it back a bit. Cost me a few hundred bucks for his bumper. And I still get a bad time about it. S H I T happens.

Now thats some funny stuff. Sorry to laugh but I've been laughing through this whole forum !!! Cause I've done some stupid things. Never did anything while trailering but I've forgotten my plug a couple of times and once tried to put it in while the boat was in the water with 4ft waves...lmao. Needless to say I dropped the "EXTRA" plug and had to get the boat out before it lay next to the Titanic. It's all good just be glad no one was hurt with all of these stories....

...I've forgotten my plug a couple of times and once tried to put it in while the boat was in the water with 4ft waves...lmao. Needless to say I dropped the "EXTRA" plug and had to get the boat out before it lay next to the Titanic.

If that happens again and you're having trouble getting the plug in, have someone dive under the boat with a plastic baggie or something similar to put over the hole so that you can get the plug in without water shooting through the hole. :thumbup:

If that happens again and you're having trouble getting the plug in, have someone dive under the boat with a plastic baggie or something similar to put over the hole so that you can get the plug in without water shooting through the hole. :thumbup:

So you've had experience doing this. Thanks for the tech tip :biggrin:

So you've had experience doing this. Thanks for the tech tip :biggrin:

When I was a kid. Dad backed the boat in, I backed the boat off of the trailer, circling waiting for dad to park the truck and my sister asks why the floor is all wet. :Doh: Had no idea where the plug was so I just grab a plastic bag for buying ice to jam in the hole. As I was climbing back in the boat I saw my dad running down the launch ramp hill with the plug in his hand. It had been sitting on the dash so he wouldn't forget to put it in. :crazy::lol:

When I was a kid. Dad backed the boat in, I backed the boat off of the trailer, circling waiting for dad to park the truck and my sister asks why the floor is all wet. :Doh: Had no idea where the plug was so I just grab a plastic bag for buying ice to jam in the hole. As I was climbing back in the boat I saw my dad running down the launch ramp hill with the plug in his hand. It had been sitting on the dash so he wouldn't forget to put it in. :crazy::lol:

Always love a good story like that. Totally classic. Makes boating that much more fun.

My park model home is about 150ft from the pier where people gas up. And I was watching 3 people in their lower to mid 50's pull up on a 3 person jet ski. As I was watching I was thinking I sure hope they dont all try to grab the pier at the same time. Sure enough they all do and head over heels they went :rofl: Boating life ya gotta love it.

At first I wasn't going to read your post because it was so long. Then curiosity got the better of me. Your day was definitely the pits. But like you said, no one was hurt and you still got to have lunch with your dad. As for the tire, I never travel anywhere without a spare and a can of flat-fix.

I agree, I don't carry fix a flat, cause I don't want that stuff in the tire but I do have a plug kit in the truck and a small air compressor. But knock on wood, I have never had a flat tire on my boat trailers yet. Now watch, I'll get two or three this year :(

I remember as a kid we would go to baja and we had a little 16' no name boat. My dad would back the truck down the ramp and me and my sister would be asleep in the back as they launch the boat. On more than one occassion I awoke to my mom screaming at my dad where is the plug as she was bailing out the boat. Good times. Needless to say that is one thing I havn't forgotten yet with my own boat.