Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Removal

My "home" lake prohibits the use of any wake enhancing device :rant::badmood::Frustrated::vomit:

As a result, my floating wedge will be going off and on my boat. The boat will be on a lift on this lake most of the summer. I travel to a different lake for a week in June and a week in July where I will definately be using the wedge. Should I have any concerns taking the wedge off and on? I know the wedge bracket is threaded, and I am careful to line up the bolt as I put it on.

Yes it is illegal to have it if you do not use it. We have gone around and around on this. I kind of see their point as who is going to jump in the lake to see if the wedge is down.

I would not buy a boat with a power wedge for this reason. The lake has lots of rules/restrictions which limits our Malibu boat options to Responses and 20 ft Sunscapes...Probably not too many of those models with a power wedge anyway.

Can't you just pull out the two bolts at the hinge point?

Yea, it's real easy to take on and off...Just nervous about stripping threads etc. I guess I just need to be careful...

It's just a nut and bolt. Strip it and it's easy to replace.

agree, easy to replace but make sure that you replace it with a similar 'grade' bolt.

most bolt/nut fasteners are expected to perform in tension.

this setup sees lots of force in shear.

Edited by tvano

The threads on the wedge bracket are what concern me the most (not the nut and bolt). The bracket is thin (compared to a nut) and every time I remove I am concerned about cross threading it. I will continue to be careful..

• 3 weeks later...

The threads on the wedge bracket are what concern me the most (not the nut and bolt). The bracket is thin (compared to a nut) and every time I remove I am concerned about cross threading it. I will continue to be careful..

I'd use anti seize goop if you are threading stainless bolts to the stainless threaded bracket to prevent galling. Weird that SS does that, but it does. Other than that... I wouldn't worry about doing it.