Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak too dry?/

I refinished my swim platform using the starbrite 3-step kit yesterday. After I put the teak oil on it looked great. I used the whole bottle (3 coats on top, and 2 on the bottom). When I got home from work today the platform had some color to it but was dried out again, and dull. Do I need to buy another bottle of the starbrite teak oil and go to town, or does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks for you help

If it is still soaking it up then yes, more oil should be applied. But get Watco Teak Oil from Home Depot or Lowes. It costs less and works as good or better.

EDIT: you say "it looks dried out"...did you sand or steel wool it before oiling?

Edited by NorCaliBu

If it is still soaking it up then yes, more oil should be applied. But get Watco Teak Oil from Home Depot or Lowes. It costs less and works as good or better.

EDIT: you say "it looks dried out"...did you sand or steel wool it before oiling?

I didn't sand it (it was still pretty smooth) or use steel wool. On the bottle it says to use a medium bristled brush ( I used a plastic bristled brush) during the cleaning process. Should I sand it then apply the oil?

I personally prefer using coarse steel wool. It takes off the wood fiber "fuzz" that makes the platform look dried out but leaves some texture to the wood so it's not as slippery as sanding it.

I personally prefer using coarse steel wool. It takes off the wood fiber "fuzz" that makes the platform look dried out but leaves some texture to the wood so it's not as slippery as sanding it.

Do I use the steel wool with the cleaning solution or afterwards when it is dry?

Do I use the steel wool with the cleaning solution or afterwards when it is dry?

Sandpaper or wool for prepping (with the cleaning soln). Wipe on the oil (when applying) with a rag. I sanded mine, it was grey and nasty when I bought the boat. Sanded it, then 3 heavy coats of teak oil 24 hours in between coats. It soaked in a LOT. Then another coat every 3 or 4 weeks after that, no sanding or prep. Held up all season very well, I don't even think it needs sanding this year, I'll probably just hit it with more oil.

Sandpaper or wool for prepping (with the cleaning soln). Wipe on the oil (when applying) with a rag. I sanded mine, it was grey and nasty when I bought the boat. Sanded it, then 3 heavy coats of teak oil 24 hours in between coats. It soaked in a LOT. Then another coat every 3 or 4 weeks after that, no sanding or prep. Held up all season very well, I don't even think it needs sanding this year, I'll probably just hit it with more oil.

Sanding also opens up the pores in the wood to allow more oil to soak in.

I've used the Starbrite 3-step kit on teak before (on an old boat I owned years ago) and it worked extremely well without any sanding at all and despite the fact that the teak was a nasty dark grey and badly funky, to the point that I really thought I'd have to replace it all. The Starbrite was a last gasp before looking into the cost to replace the teak and I was amazed at how well it worked. The wood looked like brand new, I was completely surprised.

Having said that, when doing the cleaning step rather than using a bristle brush I think steel wool would probably be a better choice for the reasons listed above. But to those who haven't used the Starbrite 3-step method it is indeed amazing how well that stuff works. When I redo mine this spring I intend to use the Starbrite but I'll do the steel wool and the Watco oil as suggested. The brain trust here is right 99.9% of the time so I'm going with them. :thumbup:

Ed

I refinished my swim platform using the starbrite 3-step kit yesterday. After I put the teak oil on it looked great. I used the whole bottle (3 coats on top, and 2 on the bottom). When I got home from work today the platform had some color to it but was dried out again, and dull. Do I need to buy another bottle of the starbrite teak oil and go to town, or does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks for you help

After a lot of research, last season I used Tung oil from Home Depot. Worked fantastic!

Use Watco teak oil. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. One coat works well for me.

X2 bought some last night,the deck looks great!

Use Watco teak oil. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. One coat works well for me.

Hey buddy I took your advice and bought the Watco teak oil (only after wasting a whole bottle of starbrite). I sanded first and started all over. The deck looks great. Only took 2 coats too. Thanks for the advice. DSCF0290.jpg Before...

IMG_5103.jpg And after

Hey buddy I took your advice and bought the Watco teak oil (only after wasting a whole bottle of starbrite). I sanded first and started all over. The deck looks great. Only took 2 coats too. Thanks for the advice.

Most excellent! Now that you have it looking nice just a coat of oil after each lake trip and it should stay nice all summer. The main reason I oil it after a ski trip is because the boards usually scrape up the teak. I’ve even put it on just before going to the lake. It’s dry after a 20 minute drive. I'll take a rep point for that. :biggrin:

Most excellent! Now that you have it looking nice just a coat of oil after each lake trip and it should stay nice all summer. The main reason I oil it after a ski trip is because the boards usually scrape up the teak. Ive even put it on just before going to the lake. Its dry after a 20 minute drive. I'll take a rep point for that.

:unsure: A rep point for being a slow echo? :whistle:

:tease2:

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for you help

When I was researching on what do and what to use for refinishing the teak platform: I was told to lightly sand it, use a foam brush, and apply TUNG OIL, Let soak in for 12 -24 hrs, and wipe it down with cheese cloth. Then repeat. Excellent results and looks better than most other boats.