Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skisix could not be more correct

martho

So, today I strap on the burner and put the system 8 in the trunk.

I pull out for the gates and go to one. I brace myself for the yank once I round the ball, but there isnt one because I never sunk in the water. 32mph PP speed. The ski finishes nicely and I head for two amazed. Things repeat. No PB's but a total eye opener.

The big problem I have is that I ski flat. My videos show how flat I get going into and on top of the wake in both directions. Humbling, but my vids showed me alot. Well, the burner will throw you off if you are flat going into the wake. I went OTF twice today, laughing all the way. I also realized that I was 10' out past the bouys for the first time ever instead of skiing right to the ball. Also, as soon as I got up, the ski just felt like it was gliding and not plowing.

The S8 is going to ride shotgun for a few weeks and I will give the burner a chance. If I dont fix my going flat on the burner, I will end up in the hospital ROFL.gif

THANKS!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• martho

• NorCaliBu

• Rip6@36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to print out and frame the topic. Thanks! Today is "one of those days" and a little encouragement from a bucrew member went a long way.

Have fun!

Edited by skisix@38

Please explain "I went OTF twice today, laughing all the way."

I've mastered the OTF and have yet to laugh once!!!! I have had the wind knocked out me, screwed my back up the entire summer, and felt like my nose hit the back of my scull.

Please share your secrets

I'm going to print out and frame the topic.  Thanks!  Today is "one of those days"  and a little encouragement from a bucrew member went a long way.

Have fun!

Greg I hope you don't ever get discouraged on this forum. Strapping on the 95% of us who can't ski at your level and trying to pull us toward a concept or correction can be exhausting. More than once I've printed what you said and took it somewhere to digest until the light comes on. Keep it up. Just because we keep coming back doesn't mean we don't believe you. It's more like "do I or don't I understand?"

That's a nice thing to say! OK group hug ;)

Not from this forum, work. I am glad to share what I've learned over the years and I get envious of the rate of learning you all will achieve when the light goes on for a particular technique. I improved almost 2 bouys over last year and my ski buddies are in the double digits for improvement, that's great to see their faces.

An analogy that I've been thinking about the last couple days with the "octane" thread is you understand engines like I understand skiing. What do you think of my analogy?

I'll add that the posts by skisix among other reasons is getting me excited about slalom skiing again. I have been learning alot from this forum and am looking forward to really working on my technique. Keep the good information coming.

I just got back from the hospital after delivering a set of big triplets. Dad is an addicted slalom skier and he is already talking about teaching the boys how to ski, although he also acnowledged that they will also likely be wakeboarding as well. Slalom skiing is not dead.

To continue with the group hug for a moment, Skisix has truly turned my skiing around this summer. If you guys think he's great here on this forum, you should ski with him in person. I went from being frustrated in the course to actually skiing the course and having a great time.

Thanks Greg.

To continue with the group hug for a moment, Skisix has truly turned my skiing around this summer.  If you guys think he's great here on this forum, you should ski with him in person.  I went from being frustrated in the course to actually skiing the course and having a great time.

Thanks Greg.

That's what it is all about. Skiers seem to naturally create a cool little community. I search the new posts for Skisix's name because I know I will be interested in what's going on there!

Thumbup.gif

I'm pretty quiet, as can be verifie by my low post count. I figure most folks don't want to hear what I have to say so I hold my opinion, except for those close to me. Hey, wait a minute! maybe that's where I got to thinking folks don't want me to talk!!!!! lol Shocking.gif

Thanks, really. I hope to continue to post reasonable concepts.

To continue with the group hug for a moment, Skisix has truly turned my skiing around this summer.  If you guys think he's great here on this forum, you should ski with him in person.  I went from being frustrated in the course to actually skiing the course and having a great time.

Thanks Greg.

That's what it is all about. Skiers seem to naturally create a cool little community. I search the new posts for Skisix's name because I know I will be interested in what's going on there!

Thumbup.gif

Edited by skisix@38

I need Ski6 to look at the pix I posted over on the slalom skier pix thread and let me know what I'm doing wrong. Keep it down to 8 to 10 things - that's all I can work on at one time. Biggrin.gif

I, too, love to review these threads regarding slalom technique. I'm trying to learn from you guys what real skiing is about. 25+ years of recreational skiing set me up with some horrible form to take into the course. I really enjoy reading the posts from the better skiers who are trying to educate the beginners. One day I hope to have video worthy of analysis. I was just reading in Waterski magazine that Mike Ferraro says videotaping is very important. I agree. I regularly tape myself and that is always a humbling experience. My passes and technique are always so much better in my head than they are on tape!! Keep the ideas coming guys. I try to incorporate what your ideas one at a time.

I just posted some pictures of our gang from last weekend. One of the guys couldn't run the course at 32 MPH 15 off last year and now he is running 34 MPH and into 28 off. He gets our most improved award this year. We all work together to push each other. These were the first pictures we took this year and it was amazing to see the improvement.

You just can't do it on your own.

Edited by Rip6@36
I need Ski6 to look at the pix I posted over on the slalom skier pix thread and let me know what I'm doing wrong.  Keep it down to 8 to 10 things - that's all I can work on at one time.  Biggrin.gif

I looked at the pictures and it's hard to get much from the angle of the sun, you're just a sillouette. I can see that your arm are pulled up in anticipation of the boats pull- If you pull up on your arms before the boat start to load you, your weight will shift to your back foot making it hard to get angle because you're on the tail. It looks like you aren't on the tail in the photo, so what happened after the photo was snapped?

Rip: where are the pics posted?

I need Ski6 to look at the pix I posted over on the slalom skier pix thread and let me know what I'm doing wrong.  Keep it down to 8 to 10 things - that's all I can work on at one time.   Biggrin.gif

I looked at the pictures and it's hard to get much from the angle of the sun, you're just a sillouette. I can see that your arm are pulled up in anticipation of the boats pull- If you pull up on your arms before the boat start to load you, your weight will shift to your back foot making it hard to get angle because you're on the tail. It looks like you aren't on the tail in the photo, so what happened after the photo was snapped?

I think you can just click my gallery or click on gallery at the top of the page and they should be the first few pictures.

I need Ski6 to look at the pix I posted over on the slalom skier pix thread and let me know what I'm doing wrong.  Keep it down to 8 to 10 things - that's all I can work on at one time.  Biggrin.gif

But the sillouette is cool looking. Biggrin.gif

I'm also someone that has been "free" skiing for so long that the course will humble me. I think that after the pic was taken I was doing OK - I still have a problem of flattening out a bit (not a lot) at the wake. That's where my main focus is right now.

OK, I looked and which person are you?

My ski buddy started the year running at 34/15 about 50% of the time. He has worked hard on the lessons I have been teaching and he regularly gets 2-3 at 34/35. He got 5@35 in a tournament and he qualified for regionals and competed in the regionals. With the some help you can all improve greatly, stick with it and enjoy.

PS my buddy keeps telling me that I should look over my should because he's catching me and next year he'll be beating me. I welcome that as it will drive me to improve more quickly too.

I need Ski6 to look at the pix I posted over on the slalom skier pix thread and let me know what I'm doing wrong.  Keep it down to 8 to 10 things - that's all I can work on at one time.   Biggrin.gif

I think you can just click my gallery or click on gallery at the top of the page and they should be the first few pictures.

I'm the second guy with the funny face.

We all push each other. The guy with the shaved head is my nemesis. He taught me the run the course five years ago and now we run pretty much neck and neck. He gets mad when I out ski him. One of our neighbors thought I was his son. That really got him going since he is only 9 years older than me.

I was talking with GalaxyToad on PM about my current barrier. I am working to get past 3 at 38 off. I have hit that mark at least 5 times and can't get beyond it. I carry too much speed into 3 ball and either body slam or just blow by the ball. I just moved my boot one hole forward and it seemed to help the ski come around at speed a little better.

Edited by Rip6@36

That's great to get to the 3 @38! I went back to review the pictures and I get a message that "you have reached your bandwith". I don't feel full, and the mirror doesn't look any different.

What ski are you on and what speed are you going, 36 I presume. Based on your description I am guessing that you are LFF and you aren't getting off 2 with any angle. Close? If I remember correctly from those pictures, those bouys are sitting awfully high in the water. Doesn't that hurt your knees and thigh hitting the bouy as you scream by?

The key I found to 38 is to "wait for the boat to come to you". The slower I reach for the boat the wider the ski gets and the slower it turns. The payoff is that it at the finish it jets under me and I am in perfect resistance position. Even if I'm was late and down course, if I reach slowly I can run the pass. When I reach out fast, the ski turns super hard and I'm not ready for the hook up or I dunk the handle(for support) and have to ski through the spray.

We all push each other.  The guy with the shaved head is my nemesis.  He taught me the run the course five years ago and now we run pretty much neck and neck.  He gets mad when I out ski him.  One of our neighbors thought I was his son.  That really got him going since he is only 9 years older than me.

I was talking with GalaxyToad on PM about my current barrier.  I am working to get past 3 at 38 off.  I have hit that mark at least 5 times and can't get beyond it.  I carry too much speed into 3 ball and either body slam or just blow by the ball.  I just moved my boot one hole forward and it seemed to help the ski come around at speed a little better.

That's great to get to the 3 @38!  I went back to review the pictures and I get a message that "you have reached your bandwith".  I don't feel full, and the mirror doesn't look any different.

What ski are you on and what speed are you going, 36 I presume.  Based on your description I am guessing that you are LFF and you aren't getting off 2 with any angle.  Close?  If I remember correctly from those pictures, those bouys are sitting awfully high in the water.  Doesn't that hurt your knees and thigh hitting the bouy as you scream by? 

The key I found to 38 is to "wait for the boat to come to you".  The slower I reach for the boat the wider the ski gets and the slower it turns.  The payoff is that it at the finish it jets under me and I am in perfect resistance position.  Even if I'm was late and down course, if I reach slowly I can run the pass.  When I reach out fast, the ski turns super hard and I'm not ready for the hook up or I dunk the handle(for support) and have to ski through the spray.

We all push each other.  The guy with the shaved head is my nemesis.  He taught me the run the course five years ago and now we run pretty much neck and neck.  He gets mad when I out ski him.  One of our neighbors thought I was his son.  That really got him going since he is only 9 years older than me.

I was talking with GalaxyToad on PM about my current barrier.  I am working to get past 3 at 38 off.  I have hit that mark at least 5 times and can't get beyond it.  I carry too much speed into 3 ball and either body slam or just blow by the ball.  I just moved my boot one hole forward and it seemed to help the ski come around at speed a little better.

Thanks. I just sent you a PM with a little more info. I saw that you had completed 38 and into 39.5 at a tournament (awesome!) and I was hoping you may be able to help me get past this magical pass.

I'm 44 and run at 34 now. I kind of like the feel of the ball going off my lower leg. It is instant feedback that I am in the right place. But you are right, the balls have a bit too much air.

I'm on a CDX. Everything you said above is right on. LFF and I try to make up angle at three (on-side) and over rotate and can't recover. What you are describing sounds pretty new school. Releasing allows me to slow down in the pre-turn. New School tends to carry that speed out and wide right through the turn. I have not figured that out yet. I just muscle my way through the wakes, release and jump on the front of the ski to slow down a bit. I need to learn to carry the speed better through the turn and ski a little lower to the water (not so stiff).

Thanks