Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking about upgrading from 93 Skier to Response LX or LXi....QUESTIONS

iwski

I have a 93 Euro f3 and it has treated me well for 7 years, but it's just too small and is getting dated. I would really like to have a Response LXi with the walk-thru dash, but of course they started making them in 2003 so they are more expensive than a Response LX. I haven't been around either of these boats in person, so any comparisons you can give me would be appreciated! My main concern is the open bow of a Response LX just doesn't seem all that functional with no walk-thru. Let's hear from some owners about that. If I couldn't scrape together enough coin for a 2003-2005 RLXi I would be looking for a 1999 and up RLX---still a big upgrade over what I've got now. Any particular years of RLX to try and grab ahold of? The only major thing I know of is in 1999 the rear locker started.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time!

I have a Sportster LX and it has the same crawl-over open bow that the RLX has and it's a PITA. The playpen rarely gets used. I would just as soon have a closed bow and have the extra storage up underneath the front deck. I will say that when our boys were younger they did like to ride up there and we could put four munchkins across the front but they're 13 & 16 now and not really interested in riding up front (I can't see over them anymore anyway). A walk-thru would certainly be nice to have but like you pointed out...they didn't start making them until more recently so they do cost more.

Good luck on your search. Hope you find an RLXi in your price range. :thumbup:

I was in a similar spot a couple years back. Found a way to swing the RLXi (NO regrets...one of my better decisions). The added practicality works out great...especially w/ a couple kids.

I was in a similar situation last fall, but there was no way for us to afford the RLXi. We found a 94 Echelon LX instead, we compared it to a Sportster and other brands, and it fit the bill and the price range. It has the walk through open bow with a ski locker in the floor. The only thing missing is the rear ski locker. I agree that the walk over playpen would get old quickly.

My only other advice is be patient and get exactly what you want, you don't want to be asking similar questions in a year or two. We searched for one for about 4 months before we found it. Luckily at Thanksgiving a local boat popped up for an incredible price because it needed some cosmetic attention, so now that hockey season is over and I got my garage heater installed, the fun begins!

I did the Euro F3 > Echelon LX upgrade and have been very happy but for different reasons, I was paricularly interested in a great slalom / barefoot wake. I assume your Euro F3 is a closed bow boat, if it is open, then one of your concerns will not be recified. The Echelon or Response LX will not be larger in terms of interior space. The Echelon was available thru 1997. The LXi has a wider beam and is a touch longer, so there will be a bit more room in it.

If slalom is your most important factor I prefer the RLX to the RLXI, but if you plan on being out on the water all day and need space for gear/people the RLXI will give you that. Now I know the SLXI wasn't on your list but they came out in '99 on the diamond hull offering lots of storage and space, just another option and should be at a lower price point than the RLXI.

if you have small kids the walk thru is great. I have a 2006 LXI that i love. If you put two adults in the bow plan on taking water over the bow (not fun). I like to relaxe up there when the boat is sitting. My girls love riding up front the extra space is nice for long days on the water.

MC

I'm with Malibudude on this one. My brother just picked up an '02 Sunsetter LXI for about 8 grand less than an RLxi can be had, and it's a sweet boat, plenty of space, and a good ski wake on the diamond hull. Wake is probably not quite as good as an Response but last time I skied one in the course, had no complaints at all, really. There are a few deals on RLxi's but they're all over the country, you may get lucky if that's what you're set on. I never considered the walk-over bow viable for my family.

A lot of good opinions here.....thank you for the input. Scratch the walk-over bow RLX idea.

What could be considered a representative price on a 03-05 Response LXi? Nada guides are not realistic. I've looked on Boattraderonline and Allboats.....any other good places to look besides Craigslist?

Now, the Sunsetter LXi---they have the same hull and it's just the top that's different? I understand they are about 6" taller, but looks like I need to do more research because I assumed they were too big of a boat to get a decent wake. Then again, I'm only a "decent" skier running 15' off anyway. Definitely confirms that I need to go with the walk-thru and if that means waiting until I can swing one then that's what it means.

BTW there is an RLXi in the classifieds right now for $21999. Sounds like it has some gel coat issues, but it's also got a nice color scheme and a great looking tower on it.

No, it's not mine, just a dream of mine.

A lot of good opinions here.....thank you for the input. Scratch the walk-over bow RLX idea.

What could be considered a representative price on a 03-05 Response LXi? Nada guides are not realistic. I've looked on Boattraderonline and Allboats.....any other good places to look besides Craigslist?

Now, the Sunsetter LXi---they have the same hull and it's just the top that's different? I understand they are about 6" taller, but looks like I need to do more research because I assumed they were too big of a boat to get a decent wake. Then again, I'm only a "decent" skier running 15' off anyway. Definitely confirms that I need to go with the walk-thru and if that means waiting until I can swing one then that's what it means.

Take a look at ski-it-again.com and

onlyinboards.com

BTW there is an RLXi in the classifieds right now for $21999. Sounds like it has some gel coat issues, but it's also got a nice color scheme and a great looking tower on it.

No, it's not mine, just a dream of mine.

I don't think you'd notice "the gel coat issue" if it hadn't been mentioned. I think his "full disclosure" classified is overly critical of the boat. Having seen it...it is a VERY sharp boat.

The hulls are the same diamond between the RLXI and the SLXI, of course the sizes are a bit different. I know skiers that are consistent 32'+ off behind SLXI. I skied behind one for 7 years and while the RLX is better it's certainly not the reason I missed the gates.....Crazy.gif Not sure what your family status is but the 18 cu. ft. rear trunk is invaluable on a day out on the lake w/ a family. IIRC when Waterski Mag rated the wakes in '00 a rating of 1 was world class, the SLXI got a 1.5 no too shabby for the size of boat. In either case you'll need to load it up as you'd normally operate and ski behind them to truely determine which bot fits your needs the best.

The hulls are the same diamond between the RLXI and the SLXI, of course the sizes are a bit different. I know skiers that are consistent 32'+ off behind SLXI. I skied behind one for 7 years and while the RLX is better it's certainly not the reason I missed the gates.....Crazy.gif Not sure what your family status is but the 18 cu. ft. rear trunk is invaluable on a day out on the lake w/ a family. IIRC when Waterski Mag rated the wakes in '00 a rating of 1 was world class, the SLXI got a 1.5 no too shabby for the size of boat. In either case you'll need to load it up as you'd normally operate and ski behind them to truely determine which bot fits your needs the best.

I have a 97 RLX and I would agree the stepover bow is kind of a waste of space. My father just bought a 2000 SLXI and he loves it! Tons of room for a quality ski boat, and it still has great wakes! Do some research and keep your eyes open for a good deal. You can certainly get the SLXI for a great price!

The Response LXI is definitely the best choice but I have found no bargains on these on the west coast.

The walkover on the Response LX is a PITA but boy do they have a great slalom wake.

A really good compromise is a Sunsetter with a trunk if possible. The wakes are still good but not as good as your Echelon.

There are plenty of them around on the west coast at reasonable prices.

Another alternative if you can find one is a Mastercraft Prostar 209 or even a 197.

In addition to my Spyder, I regularly trailer, drive, and ski behind a 1992 Sunsetter, a 2002 Prostar 197, and a 2004 Response LX. These are owned by my other three crew buddies. Most of the time I tow only one of our boats to the course. On rare occasions we may take two boats. We ski a course at 15 off about a third of my boating days. The Sunsetter still has a workable wake for course work although not as good as the 197 or RLX.

The Sunsetter has had 8 of us aboard a couple of times but we have a course dock that we put all of the gear on. It will cruise 8 and none of our other boats will.

• 2 weeks later...

The Response LXI is definitely the best choice but I have found no bargains on these on the west coast.

The walkover on the Response LX is a PITA but boy do they have a great slalom wake.

A really good compromise is a Sunsetter with a trunk if possible. The wakes are still good but not as good as your Echelon.

There are plenty of them around on the west coast at reasonable prices.

Another alternative if you can find one is a Mastercraft Prostar 209 or even a 197.

In addition to my Spyder, I regularly trailer, drive, and ski behind a 1992 Sunsetter, a 2002 Prostar 197, and a 2004 Response LX. These are owned by my other three crew buddies. Most of the time I tow only one of our boats to the course. On rare occasions we may take two boats. We ski a course at 15 off about a third of my boating days. The Sunsetter still has a workable wake for course work although not as good as the 197 or RLX.

The Sunsetter has had 8 of us aboard a couple of times but we have a course dock that we put all of the gear on. It will cruise 8 and none of our other boats will.

I used to own a 1997 Response closed bow and I felt that the wake on it wasn't that good. It was pretty firm and gave a solid bump while crossing at 15 off. However, it used the SV23 hull. In 1998 they came out with the SV23 Diamond and the SV23 Wake hulls. Can anyone shed any light on the difference between the 1997 SV23 and the 1998 SV23 Diamond hull? I had once heard that it was the same hull and they just re-named it the SV23 Diamond and then used a modified version for the SV23 Wake hull. It was purely hearsay, though. I'd love to get a real qualified answer to that question.

I used to own a 1997 Response closed bow and I felt that the wake on it wasn't that good. It was pretty firm and gave a solid bump while crossing at 15 off. However, it used the SV23 hull. In 1998 they came out with the SV23 Diamond and the SV23 Wake hulls. Can anyone shed any light on the difference between the 1997 SV23 and the 1998 SV23 Diamond hull? I had once heard that it was the same hull and they just re-named it the SV23 Diamond and then used a modified version for the SV23 Wake hull. It was purely hearsay, though. I'd love to get a real qualified answer to that question.

The wake size between the '97 and '98 RLX are not huge. The wake on the '98 is smaller by a tad but most importantly the wake is much softer when cutting through it. The diamond hull uses turn down "reverse" chimes to "lift" up the boat so to speak for a serious course skier the diamond is coveted but the older Responses are by no means slouches either.

The wake size between the '97 and '98 RLX are not huge. The wake on the '98 is smaller by a tad but most importantly the wake is much softer when cutting through it. The diamond hull uses turn down "reverse" chimes to "lift" up the boat so to speak for a serious course skier the diamond is coveted but the older Responses are by no means slouches either.

Thanks, Admin. That would make sense. I've read nothing but good things regarding the later model Response in just about every configuration - not to mention that the Response is AWSA certified through most years. The exception being 1997. Go figure. :-)

For those interested, here's a list of all the approved AWSA Towboats from 1983-2010:

http://www.usawaters...istory83-10.pdf

Edited by Malibudude