Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 LXI Dash spotting

Mark Chilcutt

I have a 2006 LXI with 400hrs that spent its first 8 months at a private lake mostly covered when not in use. The rest of its life has been spent in my garage covered when not on the lake. I am way anal with maintaining this boat. It drives my wife nuts at times.

It has the black and gray dash combo interior that appears to have little burn spots that are growing. This is only happening to the black. I noticed one small spot on the piece that runs along the side windshield above the drivers arm rest in early 2009. Now these spots are showing up on all the black colored pieces on the dash (it seems to be spreading like cancer).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so did Malibu cover it after warranty? My local dealer said they could replace everything at retail cost (thanks alot)but no thanks a 4th season $42,000 boat with dash pieces that within a year will look like it has sat outside for 15 years in the sun!! I am currently waiting to here back from Malibu i sent them an e mail. I have a 1993 Acura with a black dash that is still perfect after 17 years. I hope malibu will take care of this issue.I will post photos if i can figure out how?

Thanks MC

Edited by Mark Chilcutt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Chilcutt

• davemac

• Ndawg12

• billb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear about your issues but hindsight is 20/20 and you should have taken it in back in early '09 when it was still under warranty and you first started seeing the issue. Dealer retail pricing doesn't sound like much of a deal to me :biggrin: But I don't think they really owe you anything either, those guys gotta eat too! Unless this is a widespread issue with that dash in '06 (can't say I've heard of too many) I think this one's gonna be on you.

Mark, are you sure it's not just mold, mildew, or some other sort of fungus? I have the same dash in my '05 and no problems whatsoever. Pics would help.

The "first 8 months at a private lake mostly covered when not in use. The rest of its life has been spent in my garage covered when not on the lake" makes me have to ask. Is the boat always bone dry when you put the cover on? I've seen boats on lifts left covered that mildewed out badly due to the moisture/humidity. Same for garaged boats put away damp. Not accusing you of anything, just asking for info.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

Yes it is a widespred problem at this point the entire dash that is black is starting to show what looks like burn spots or rotting. It is not mildew i live in the desert and keep a window open in the garage to dry things out. the boat doesnt get covered until three days after boating to try to keep dust out.

Ndawg12. you are very quick in jumping to say this is a consumer responsibility?? I question why? I will get photos posted then may be you can see why i am concerned. I have been a malibu customer since 1995 and they have been great to work with to say the least. Malibu is currently looking at photos i am waiting to see what they say.

MC

no sweat MC (I've found your posts on the skier sites to be informative and entertaining)....

Hopefully some of the brain trust here will have some insight for you. Odd that this is isolated to dash & moldings, and not the seats (presumably a different type or cut of material).

Edited by davemac

could have been one bad roll of vinyl in the factory - dash made from one and seats made from another.......Malibu will know whether it is that because other customers would complain about their dashes made from the same roll if that was the case.

Yes it is a widespred problem at this point the entire dash that is black is starting to show what looks like burn spots or rotting. It is not mildew i live in the desert and keep a window open in the garage to dry things out. the boat doesnt get covered until three days after boating to try to keep dust out.

Ndawg12. you are very quick in jumping to say this is a consumer responsibility?? I question why? I will get photos posted then may be you can see why i am concerned. I have been a malibu customer since 1995 and they have been great to work with to say the least. Malibu is currently looking at photos i am waiting to see what they say.

MC

I didn't mean to say that you were responsible for the damage and that you caused it, I apologize if it came off that way. I'm just saying that since it's now out of warranty I don't think the dealership owes you anything. But hopefully they will work with you and be your voice to Malibu. I'm not picking sides one way or the other but unless Malibu has seen a rash of similar instances I think you're going to end up eating the repair costs.

I had a problem with both of my engine cover skins. One had a defect in the support that the skin is fastened too which caused it to rip and that was corrected. The other had a defect in the vinyl itself. It developed a brown line that ran from the front to the back as straight as an arrow and about 1/4 to 3/8 wide right in the middle of the skin. We have no idea what caused it but Malibu is taking care of it after a lengthy delay in getting the skins from the factory. I certainly hope that yours is taken care of as well.

Edited by Malibuswany

I had a problem with both of my engine cover skins. One had a defect in the support that the skin is fastened too which caused it to rip and that was corrected. The other had a defect in the vinyl itself. It developed a brown line that ran from the front to the back as straight as an arrow and about 1/4 to 3/8 wide right in the middle of the skin. We have no idea what caused it but Malibu is taking care of it after a lengthy delay in getting the skins from the factory. I certainly hope that yours is taken care of as well.

Malibuswany. What color is the piece? was your warranty expired? and what boat yr make model is it? How long did the process take?

Thanks, MC

Yeah, that's not right. Doesn't look like any moisture related rot/mildew/fungus I've ever seen (in my less than professional opinion...). Especially on the glove box cover, what's up with that? I hope they take care of it, a 4 season old well maintained boat shouldn't have that sort of problem. Best of luck.

Ed

Malibuswany. What color is the piece? was your warranty expired? and what boat yr make model is it? How long did the process take?

Thanks, MC

My interior is mainly white, the strip went across all colors and beads. It is an 08 VTX. Malibu is warranting the work. I first told the dealer and submitted pictures over a year ago. But it took so long to get the first engine cover done (several months) that I didn't want to do without my boat for last summer. They are just now getting around to fixing both of the covers. They seem to be notoroiusly slow on replacing vinyl. But as long as it's done for this season I will be happy.

Malibu is telling me i used a cleaner that stripped the protectant of the vinyl and there is nothing they can do for me. Funny part is they said "PS you should only use 303 aerospace protectant" "Hello i work in the aerospace industry" and that is all i have ever used on it. Oh well i guess if that is it, and nothing will be done to fix this, Malibu is leaving me no choice but to switch brands in the spring. The tuff part will be selling the boat with the bad vinyl.

MC :(

Mark, first of all sorry about the problem with the dash vinyl. Secondly, some friends of mine had a very similar issue with an 05 23 xti that we picked up last year. All we did was get a hold of a vinyl guy up here who "re dyed" the vinyl in place on the dash and it looks amazing. Now we have not had it out on the water for the summer yet, but I was very surprised how well it turned out.

Good luck,

Trent

Oh well i guess if that is it, and nothing will be done to fix this, Malibu is leaving me no choice but to switch brands in the spring. The tuff part will be selling the boat with the bad vinyl.

MC :(

It's out of warranty...gotta agree with Malibu, I wouldn't fix it for free either. Good luck spending $50k+ on that new MC to fix something a vinyl guy could address for less than $100.

I'd hate to see this thread end on such a sour note, so let's try to see both sides. First, Malibu's : this isn't a widespread issue and the boat is out of warranty -> assume inappropriate cleaner has been used and don't cover it. Second, Mark's : I paid a ton of money for this boat and did what I was supposed to do and now I have this issue that wasn't of my making -> I'm out $100 or whatever it'd cost to reskin the dash. That's not good. Mark, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Try getting it fixed (redyed or reskinned) and go into your next price negotiation with this amount factored into your bottom line price. If one of the other brands can compete, then make the choice you feel good about. The issue that you have with this piece of vinyl could just be an instance of bad luck for you. It probably wouldn't happen again. I'd just hate to see you pay a $10K premium for another boat because you feel like you took a $250 hit on the vinyl on your current boat. My $10K premium comes from pricing my ski club did for our 2010 boat. There was no contest when the numbers came in. Regarding your current situation, it appears to me that you have a legitimate beef. But if the problem really isn't widespread, then Malibu's position is understandable as well. I hope this works out OK for you.

Yeah, I can see why you'd be pissed at their response (no pun intended), since you took extra care w/ keeping boat out of sun and maintaining w/ 303. Since it is just a single color of vinyl that is damaged, it seems obvious that it is a defect. I'd still write a letter voicing my displeasure. I'd also be sure to let the dealer know. Assuming you've bought Malibus from them since 1995, you'd like to think they'd go to bat for you a bit (maybe even offer a trade in deal if it worked, and you wanted to continue w/ them).

After all that, I'd bring the boat to a quality auto upholsterer, and see what they can do for you. Maybe you'll be surprised. If you are fixed on selling privately, I'd think you would net out better getting that vinyl fixed on your own dime(s) first. I am assuming you were planning on a new boat this spring before this happened...and are now compelled to look at other brands (which I guess is understandable). I don't think I'd unload the boat solely on acccount of this....without first pursuing options w/ an upholstery shop.

Good Luck either way.

Edited by davemac