Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS Tower lights

crazyhigh

Just received my HID lights from Bakes and was wondering..... 4 lights total, 2 facing forward, 2 backward.....What's the best position on the tower for each direction? The outside holes are wider and the inside holes narrower.

Just received my HID lights from Bakes and was wondering..... 4 lights total, 2 facing forward, 2 backward.....What's the best position on the tower for each direction? The outside holes are wider and the inside holes narrower.

Depends on what you're doing with them and what beam angle you got. On mine I did the spot beam aiming forward on the outside of the tower. I have the flood beam in the middle aiming towards the rear. If I re-mounted them I would do it opposite of how I have it now after using them. The flood beam spreads way to fast to be in the middle of the tower. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, depends what you are going for. I mounted all 4 facing forward. Two flood and two spot.

thanks for the replies....I have decided that the outside 2 mounts/lights are going to face the rear and the inside 2 are going to face the front.

I have heard some people in the past say the floods are useless. Would it be better to get just spots? I want to get a couple to face rear for surfing at night, should I get flood or spot, and outside holes or inside? One last thing is I might bite the bullet and get a couple facing forward, how much do they help in navigation? TIA

I have heard some people in the past say the floods are useless. Would it be better to get just spots? I want to get a couple to face rear for surfing at night, should I get flood or spot, and outside holes or inside? One last thing is I might bite the bullet and get a couple facing forward, how much do they help in navigation? TIA

There is a huge difference in output between the large HID's and the small HID's. For navigation they work pretty good at low speeds and I mean like no wake speeds. Depending on what you're after I agree the floods are pretty useless on the illusion/G3 towers because of the swoop forward design. The light pattern spreads to quickly with the flood.

I'd get the smaller spots facing rear for surfing and the larger spots facing forward for your navigation needs.

There is a huge difference in output between the large HID's and the small HID's. For navigation they work pretty good at low speeds and I mean like no wake speeds. Depending on what you're after I agree the floods are pretty useless on the illusion/G3 towers because of the swoop forward design. The light pattern spreads to quickly with the flood.

I'd get the smaller spots facing rear for surfing and the larger spots facing forward for your navigation needs.

Do you think the larger spots would be too much if I were to get those facing rear as well as forward? Any links to the best place to purchase?

Edited by kentjina

Do you think the larger spots would be too much if I were to get those facing rear as well as forward? Any links to the best place to purchase?

It's just kind of overkill if you don't want them to project any further than surfing distances. These large spots project forever.

Here is a link for HID lights for the Illusion X and XS towers. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

All of our lights are spots, the flood berms just don't perform well on a boat tower.

-Paul

Depends on what you're doing with them and what beam angle you got. On mine I did the spot beam aiming forward on the outside of the tower. I have the flood beam in the middle aiming towards the rear. If I re-mounted them I would do it opposite of how I have it now after using them. The flood beam spreads way to fast to be in the middle of the tower. Hope that makes sense.

Hey Paul or 06vlx, I ordered 2 big spots for forward and 2 small spots for rear. Should I mount the 2 facing rear on the outside of the tower or in the middle?

Hey Paul or 06vlx, I ordered 2 big spots for forward and 2 small spots for rear. Should I mount the 2 facing rear on the outside of the tower or in the middle?

It won't matter as far as performance goes, I'd do whatever you think looks the best.

I think I would mount forward facing on the inside and rear on the outside. I am getting new lights for my X tower and I think that is the way I will mount them.

My .02, I think they're a large waste of money.

I have the standard small round malibu lights on my 04 VLX.

4 outside facing rear and 4 inside facing front.

• Rear, they spread too quick to see anything but the rider jumping the wake (can't see the flats). That's when I'm running somewhere that I'm not worried about doing the night run (illegal in my state).
  • Front, they bounce off your bow and kill your night vision and make visibility worse.

The most I use other than that is for help sometimes docking (which you're not supposed to right?) and for wrapping up the gear (but it draws major mosquitos/bugs).

I always imagine how quickly my batteries are draining when the boat's not running.

My .02, I think they're a large waste of money.

I have the standard small round malibu lights on my 04 VLX.

4 outside facing rear and 4 inside facing front.

• Rear, they spread too quick to see anything but the rider jumping the wake (can't see the flats). That's when I'm running somewhere that I'm not worried about doing the night run (illegal in my state).
  • Front, they bounce off your bow and kill your night vision and make visibility worse.

The most I use other than that is for help sometimes docking (which you're not supposed to right?) and for wrapping up the gear (but it draws major mosquitos/bugs).

I always imagine how quickly my batteries are draining when the boat's not running.

The lights we are talking about are HID which use 25% of the power yours do. These HID lights we're talking about are also SPOT beam so the beam does not spready quickly, yours are flood pattern. You can't even compare the two. Tower lights in general being a waste of money is a different debate. I couldn't agree more about the bugs though...