Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED's on Trailer

rivrat

I just installed Blue LED's on my trailer. Under the wheel well and two steps on eachside. I was wondering if anyone know if they are illegal. I live in Dallas Texas and have looked everywhere online for any info and all i can find is that they are ok on motorcycles, but doesnt say anything about trailer. can anyone help with this

That is one thing I learned while down in the US. Trying to find traffic laws is a pain in the a**. My recommendation would be to call your local sheriffs office/police station or DMV to see if they can help.

Edited by Wakes

Basically blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles only. Here in Cali you would be stopped and cited and made to remove them. Now with that being said it has a lot to do with the way you are driving and your attitude if stopped. As long as they are not bright enough or shine in such a manner as to look like an emergency vehicle I say leave them on until your told to take them off. Cali is just a fix it ticket and $10.00.

Edit Look in your state vehicle code under lighting.

Edited by Malibuswany

Cali is just a fix it ticket and $10.00.

Edit Look in your state vehicle code under lighting.

$25.00 to "Fix" it nowdays.

Edit: Cant speak for Tex, but not legal in CA.

Edited by LiQUiDSX

Blue lights are reserved for police. It's not even just for "emergency vehicles". It's only police. And they like their blue lights. Fire and rescue get red and white. My hunch is, you'll quickly find a cop who is proud enough to make you take the blue off and get some pride revenue for his department (ticket). Sorry for the bad news.

Not allowed in Illinois either. No red, or blue lights on a vehicle unless emergency vehicle. I think it is a $75 fine now, and made to remove them.

Blue lights are reserved for police. It's not even just for "emergency vehicles". It's only police. And they like their blue lights. Fire and rescue get red and white. My hunch is, you'll quickly find a cop who is proud enough to make you take the blue off and get some pride revenue for his department (ticket). Sorry for the bad news.

Yea, that $25.00 for a fix it ticket is some serious revenue....

I talked to someone in Houston whose son put blue lights under their car and they were pulled over and told to remove them. I do not know about DFW.

I just installed Blue LED's on my trailer. Under the wheel well and two steps on eachside. I was wondering if anyone know if they are illegal. I live in Dallas Texas and have looked everywhere online for any info and all i can find is that they are ok on motorcycles, but doesnt say anything about trailer. can anyone help with this

Shouldn't that question be asked "before" they were installed? :oops:

Wrong....in Pennsylvania it's exactly opposite. Only the Fire Chief gets red and white lights...all the volunteers get a blue light for their vehicle. This is an impossible question to answer with all of the difference in local law. That said, I've always joined the mantra "Ask for forgiveness rather than approval" :whistle: