Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I've got something I need to get off my chest.

Wakes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibuswany

• Bill_AirJunky

• Ndawg12

• Wakes

O.k. I'm in. Wife and son tube. Little girl and myself do not. There is a boat on our lake that will drag around a tube for 4-5 hours immediately after lunch. Drives everyone else nuts. For us it's one run each and done when there are no others out.

Off topic: Our lake is round so we need to get most of our skiing/boarding done before lunch because it's like the Badlands after, especially in the middle where all the waves converge. We spend a lot of time on the dock waiting for gaps in traffic, watching out for the pontoons that come within 20 ft of the dock on their daily tours. (Seriously, what's changed since yesterday?! Do you not know the two people in the pontoon behind you? Can't you fit 20 people on that thing, do you really need 10 boats for 20 people and 6 dogs?) Yes, the average age on our lake is over 60...no foilers, though. :lol:

Only thing worse than admitting you're a tuber........ is admitting you're a tuber who can't drive over 6mph!!!! I have 3 small girl's (4,3,1) The two oldest don't like it when the water splashes them! They won't keep goggles on and won't sit backward's.......so 6 mph it is! The girl's impossed the speed restriction. Never done on glass or near rider's. They love it and that's what owning a boat is all about.

Nice sunny day

Friend's and family in the boat

Towing my girl's no more than 6 mph

Checking out there smiles in the mirror

PRICELESS!!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot.........Mom's not allowed to drive, she cornered once!!!!

Now that's funny.

Hypothetically: if you are pulling tubers at barely above idle speed; wouldn't that flatten any existing chop on the water? Therefore, time to :footing: (ok...I just really wanted to use this emoticon)

Edited by DIE2SURF

Only thing worse than admitting you're a tuber........ is admitting you're a tuber who can't drive over 6mph!!!! I have 3 small girl's (4,3,1) The two oldest don't like it when the water splashes them! They won't keep goggles on and won't sit backward's.......so 6 mph it is! The girl's impossed the speed restriction. Never done on glass or near rider's. They love it and that's what owning a boat is all about.

Nice sunny day

PRICELESS!!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot.........Mom's not allowed to drive, she cornered once!!!!

That's how we were the first summer we had our boat. Now I can't go fast enough for him. He loves it. Yahoo.gif

Hi, my name is RedOwl and I'm also a tuber

Kids love it as well. We'll ride while there is glass, but once the wally's and 12'o clock crowd comes out, it becomes the kids' turn.

And tubing isn't only for the rider -- it is a challenge for the driver to separate the rider from the tube.

Also - tubes are fun to flip over on the wakeboard :) Especially w/ a cameraman on the tube, and perhaps some inspiration from the girls on the boat! :clap:

Kids love it as well. We'll ride while there is glass, but once the wally's and 12'o clock crowd comes out, it becomes the kids' turn.

And tubing isn't only for the rider -- it is a challenge for the driver to separate the rider from the tube.

Also - tubes are fun to flip over on the wakeboard :) Especially w/ a cameraman on the tube, and perhaps some inspiration from the girls on the boat! :clap:

And some prior barely sodas..??

I have confessed my tubing sins but I agree, there is nothing more fun than driving and pulling a tube. And I'm not talking about driving out to the middle of a round lake or doing figure 8's and beating the he11 out of them till they fall off, but more like swinging them out, waiting for that perfect moment, and then swinging back the other way. Just a little faster every time!!

Tracie? Where's the negative Rep button!?

Better yet, does this new host software allow users to "block" tubers??

Let's not get too hasty here guys.... I might decide to bring my boat to your lake :biggrin:.

Nice sunny day

PRICELESS!!!

Do they each get their own tube, or do they ride in a three seater?

Let's not get too hasty here guys.... I might decide to bring my boat to your lake Biggrin.gif.

...and if you let either of us drive you tubing, you will be forever cured of this evil vice.

Also - tubes are fun to flip over on the wakeboard Smile.gif Especially w/ a cameraman on the tube, and perhaps some inspiration from the girls on the boat! Clap.gif

Thumbup for the cameraman on the tube Thumbup.gif

The Pony is a tuber and tubing is not just for children. We run the "Death Tube" - old school canvas covered and try to see who do the most consecutive flips before eating wake. Personally, I have made four - spent July 4th 2006 with a concussion. I have also achieved a personal tube jump of 10' - nothing like sailing with nothing but air under you before landing whiplash-style.

Tracie? Where's the negative Rep button!?
Better yet, does this new host software allow users to "block" tubers??

Nope, you guys are complaining to the wrong person. Back in the day, we would try to ride anything at all behind a boat, just to see if it could be done. Tubing was a huge part of the fun that we had. Anything that gets you on the lake I say. (It goes without saying that you should be respectful of others on the lake, but that shouldn't be a tuber-specific policy IMO.)

Whew didn’t know if this was a Tigeresque type confession…. But this is almost worse.Wink.gif

Whatever, you're doomed you know. Lil Dude is going to get there & you'll be tubin' right there with him. Lil Dudette will be right behind (if she's anything like her momma). You're so screwed. :lol:

I don't think you know what you're talking about, I'm only 31, I'm not allowed to foil yet :biggrin: Sorry Bill!!

:lol:

...Yes, the average age on our lake is over 60...no foilers, though. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

:whistle:

Start by making a slowly accelerating circle the exact radius of the rope (rope on tower) the tube should move very little if at all. Then at about 8 to 10 mph punch it and turn the other way. (make sure there is no slack in the rope) You will throw the wake at the tube while accelerating the tubers. this will launch the tube in the air. adjust the timing to get the maximum air.

:plus1: This is my favorite driving tactic to quickly evict my tubing tenant. It goes without fail, every summer I'll have a friend of a friend on the boat that doesn't ski or board but is a "good" tuber (not really sure what that means). I'll make them a friendly wager that I can boot them from the tube in less than a minute without ever going over 20 mph. They will always take the bet, and most of them are soon to be in orbit. I have about an 80% success rate on that bet using the aforementioned driving method.

Ok... I don't personally enjoy tubing BUT The kids like it. They want to ride the Bull.... it goes like this. They sit on the tube bull riding style. Feet first, hold on with one hand, I take the slack out of the rope and when they say "GO" I get 8 seconds to get them off the tube! :yahoo: You don't realize just how long 8 seconds is until you try it.

Ps....... you might hurt someone, so don't hit it full throttle on the first time. :whistle:

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

:whistle:

Lookin forward to showin up some of you young whipper snappers at the Norcal Wow on Oroville this June. :crazy:

Wonder if can convince Murphy to come up for a visit.... he'd put us all to shame. :thumbup:

Of course, since it's as easy as tubin, I expect everyone to give it a go too.... of course. :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

:plus1: This is my favorite driving tactic to quickly evict my tubing tenant. It goes without fail, every summer I'll have a friend of a friend on the boat that doesn't ski or board but is a "good" tuber (not really sure what that means). I'll make them a friendly wager that I can boot them from the tube in less than a minute without ever going over 20 mph. They will always take the bet, and most of them are soon to be in orbit. I have about an 80% success rate on that bet using the aforementioned driving method.

Hmmm...I have to give this driving method a try. This bet could come in handy for some gas money!

I have wondered if you could get a tube to do a 360 around the boat as well. Might have to try it this summer.

Of course, since it's as easy as tubin, I expect everyone to give it a go too.... of course. :rofl:

Watching people try foilin' for the first time is pure comedy. Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, FACEPLANT !! :clap::lol:

I rode a buddy's a few times and starting jumping it but then he wrecked his back pretty seriously learning inverts (required back surgery and his Doc forbid him to ride it anymore) and that was that. I have sporadic back issues from a violent footin' faceplant years ago and his back injury cured me of any desire to learn inverts on the SkySki. I'll stick with slalom, thanks.

Watching people try foilin' for the first time is pure comedy. Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, FACEPLANT !! :clap::lol:

I rode a buddy's a few times and starting jumping it but then he wrecked his back pretty seriously learning inverts (required back surgery and his Doc forbid him to ride it anymore) and that was that. I have sporadic back issues from a violent footin' faceplant years ago and his back injury cured me of any desire to learn inverts on the SkySki. I'll stick with slalom, thanks.

Funny. I've used that a few times to keep from gettin on a slalom ski again. :crazy: