Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Battery to buy?!?

So I was going to just buy a new battery for the season but am running into some issues in which one to buy..

I have a Merc Mag Skier 265hp. My current battery is a Interstate SRM-24 battery with 690 MCA, 550 CCA, & 140 Reserve. Now this battery is a marine battery but considered a "starting" battery. But, they offer a starting, deep-cycle, and dual-purpose batteries. So, which one do I need. I figure I will be using the boat for the next 6 months with an average of 5 lake trips a month. Is it possible to get a little bigger battery? I had in mind a dual-purpose battery that has 1000 MCA, 800 CCA, & 180 Reserve. Is this going to affect anything by going bigger and is it to big for my electrical charging system?

Thanks, Brian

So I was going to just buy a new battery for the season but am running into some issues in which one to buy..

I have a Merc Mag Skier 265hp. My current battery is a Interstate SRM-24 battery with 690 MCA, 550 CCA, & 140 Reserve. Now this battery is a marine battery but considered a "starting" battery. But, they offer a starting, deep-cycle, and dual-purpose batteries. So, which one do I need. I figure I will be using the boat for the next 6 months with an average of 5 lake trips a month. Is it possible to get a little bigger battery? I had in mind a dual-purpose battery that has 1000 MCA, 800 CCA, & 180 Reserve. Is this going to affect anything by going bigger and is it to big for my electrical charging system?

Thanks, Brian

If you're going with just one battery and want to use just one battery go with an Interstate SRM-29 Deep Cycle/Cranking battery.

Can't remember what I have in mine...just go with a local place with a good warranty. I would also stick with a regular battery. A few years ago I got one of those expensive batteries with the blue top :whistle: It didn't last any longer than a regular battery but cost a whole lot more! Ended up replacing with a 24 month deep cycle....was like $50 from Academy. Last spring was month 23. It didn't hold a charge super well, or I didn't leave the charger on long enough after winter. Took it in and exchanged it...no questions asked.

Try looking at the Sear diehard AGM's I have two and they rock. 3 year free replacement and can take some punishment. The only problem is they are kind of pricy.

Why :unsure:

stereo...overkill...paranoid of dead start after hours of anchor and stereo. i would always rather have more than i need than less.

I'm interested in this topic for a couple reasons. I am thinking i need a new battery and also have no idea what to buy.

I recently added an amp and subwoofer to my stereo in the boat. Since doing so, I cannot run the amp without the motor on. If I try to run it with the motor off, it kicks in and out like it is not getting enough juice.

I don't really want to spend the extra cash on a perko switch, cables and second battery. I'd rather just get one that can do the job.

The battery I currently have is an Interstate Marine/RV Cranking 24M-XHD 800 CCA 1000MCA <-whatever that means? :unsure:

One thing I like about it is that it has wingnuts and bolts on top. The date says it was installed March, 2002. It's never had any issues starting the boat.

Could it be that it is just old and needs replaced since it does not seem to be able to run my amp?

I'm interested in this topic for a couple reasons. I am thinking i need a new battery and also have no idea what to buy.

I recently added an amp and subwoofer to my stereo in the boat. Since doing so, I cannot run the amp without the motor on. If I try to run it with the motor off, it kicks in and out like it is not getting enough juice.

I don't really want to spend the extra cash on a perko switch, cables and second battery. I'd rather just get one that can do the job.

The battery I currently have is an Interstate Marine/RV Cranking 24M-XHD 800 CCA 1000MCA <-whatever that means? Unsure.gif

One thing I like about it is that it has wingnuts and bolts on top. The date says it was installed March, 2002. It's never had any issues starting the boat.

Could it be that it is just old and needs replaced since it does not seem to be able to run my amp?

800 Cold Carnking Amps (how powerful it is at 0 F) 1000 Marine Canking Amps (how powerful it is at 32 F)

Pull the battery and bring it in to an automotive shop and they can tell you how it's doing. As for the stereo, could be a lot of things like bad amp, bad battery, need for a capacitor. Try starting a new thread if your battery tests OK.

Thanks, Brian

Need a little more info. Like what you have for a stereo set up and such. If you do not have much for a stereo then a 24m-xhd from interstate would be just fine IMO. The perko switch and cable are not difficult to install if both batteries can fit in the same location.

The battery I currently have is an Interstate Marine/RV Cranking 24M-XHD 800 CCA 1000MCA <-whatever that means? :unsure:

That is awesome to get that great of life out of the battery. It really says something for interstate :rockon:. I would definently replace the battery it sounds like it doesn't have the capacity that it used to have. The same battery or a deep cycle group 27 would be what would go with unless you run the stereo a lot with out the motor running. IMO.

Need a little more info. Like what you have for a stereo set up and such. If you do not have much for a stereo then a 24m-xhd from interstate would be just fine IMO. The perko switch and cable are not difficult to install if both batteries can fit in the same location.

That is awesome to get that great of life out of the battery. It really says something for interstate :rockon:. I would definently replace the battery it sounds like it doesn't have the capacity that it used to have. The same battery or a deep cycle group 27 would be what would go with unless you run the stereo a lot with out the motor running. IMO.

I started another topic here in order to keep from hijacking this one.

stereo...overkill...paranoid of dead start after hours of anchor and stereo. i would always rather have more than i need than less.

More like why would you mix lead acid batteries and AGM batteries. Unless you have them laying around and didn't care how long they lasted it's a terrible idea.

Optima Blue Top...as long as you don't have any crazy over the top system...one will do fine. I have one in my RLX with 4 speakers, an amp, and sub...and it's fine...no issues whatsoever. I do start the boat and run it for few minutes during long outings with the radio on, but I've never had any issues with the Blue Top.

Optima Blue Top...as long as you don't have any crazy over the top system...one will do fine. I have one in my RLX with 4 speakers, an amp, and sub...and it's fine...no issues whatsoever. I do start the boat and run it for few minutes during long outings with the radio on, but I've never had any issues with the Blue Top.

You do realize this does nothing other than give you false hopes of putting some juice back in your battery.

More like why would you mix lead acid batteries and AGM batteries. Unless you have them laying around and didn't care how long they lasted it's a terrible idea.

Please elaborate. I have the Optimas dedicated to the stereo and the interstate for starters and other accessories. They are seperate, as I understand it.

Amendment...

My stereo is not connected to the key. It is connected to an accessory switch, so they key does not have to be on. The Optimas are on Perko 2, the Interstate starters are on Perko 1, nothing is wired to Perko ALL. All batteries are connected ath Perko 2, but the battereies are not connected in a series, just at the switch. And yes. The boat came with 2 brand new Interstates and I wanted 2 Optimas for the stereo b/c I put Optima in everything I own and always have.

I am not saying I have it set up right, I am just stating facts (as I recall them) of how I have it set up.

Edited by stroker-ace

Please elaborate. I have the Optimas dedicated to the stereo and the interstate for starters and other accessories. They are seperate, as I understand it.

Amendment...

My stereo is not connected to the key. It is connected to an accessory switch, so they key does not have to be on. The Optimas are on Perko 2, the Interstate starters are on Perko 1, nothing is wired to Perko ALL. All batteries are connected ath Perko 2, but the battereies are not connected in a series, just at the switch. And yes. The boat came with 2 brand new Interstates and I wanted 2 Optimas for the stereo b/c I put Optima in everything I own and always have.

I am not saying I have it set up right, I am just stating facts (as I recall them) of how I have it set up.

If they are truely separate and aren't charged by the same source they will be fine, hope you are charging them separately with a 3 stage charger set for AGM or Wet Cell. If you charge an AGM with a standard charger or with one set on Wet Cell you will shorten their life significantly.

Not sure why you need 2 reserve batteries for starting that's some overkill. You would have as much or more AH capacity with one group 27 battery as 2 of the optima blue tops and spend 1/4 the $$. The blue tops only have 55 ah each which is nothing if you're running any stereo system with the engine off. The only good thing about the optimas is their size and that you can mount them pretty much any way you want besides upside down. I had 5 of them in my last boat, 3 of them took a crap on me.

I've never had alot of luck with AGM batteries as they're so sensitive to their maintenance routine. Dollar for dollar, performance, and longevity they can't compete with a wet cell battery.

Edited by 06vlx

If they are truely separate and aren't charged by the same source they will be fine, hope you are charging them separately with a 3 stage charger set for AGM or Wet Cell. If you charge an AGM with a standard charger or with one set on Wet Cell you will shorten their life significantly.

Now that is something I will need to look into. Not 100% sure what my tender is set to, bit this was all installed by an electrician who has been wiring boats for 20 years and I am basically doing a carbon copy of the system he has had on his boat for many years.

Thanks for the info... :thumbup:

Now that is something I will need to look into. Not 100% sure what my tender is set to, bit this was all installed by an electrician who has been wiring boats for 20 years and I am basically doing a carbon copy of the system he has had on his boat for many years.

Thanks for the info... :thumbup:

Let me know what your electricians trick is to having the two type batteries exist in harmony together without issue. That would be some good info.

Let me know what your electricians trick is to having the two type batteries exist in harmony together without issue. That would be some good info.

By keeping them seperate? :dunno: I am pretty sure they can sit next to eachother without a fight breaking out.

So I was going to go with the Interstate Battery but some things have changed. My dad has informed me that he has a NEW Optima Yellow top deep-cycle battery that I can have. Now I have been trying to read up on the Yellow top and it sounds more like they belong in a marine application.. Will this work or should I go with just a straight marine battery? My whole thing is I want to be able to run my stereo for a certain length of time while the boat is not on.

Thanks..

I don't know jack about batteries, just that mine have never failed me. When I bought the boat it had a Deko starting battery in it. Then I found some jack-leg dude that said I should buy a battery from him and dedicate it to my stereo. He said it was a heavy duty medical equipment battery..?? Anyways, it's worked but how do you know if a battery is wetcell or AGM? Probably a real stupid question. Are all Interstate batteries AGM or wetcell? Are all Optimas AGM or Wetcell? Is there a chart that shows all the batteries specs?

I don't know jack about batteries, just that mine have never failed me. When I bought the boat it had a Deko starting battery in it. Then I found some jack-leg dude that said I should buy a battery from him and dedicate it to my stereo. He said it was a heavy duty medical equipment battery..?? Anyways, it's worked but how do you know if a battery is wetcell or AGM? Probably a real stupid question. Are all Interstate batteries AGM or wetcell? Are all Optimas AGM or Wetcell? Is there a chart that shows all the batteries specs?

Pretty halarious that batteries seem so basic yet they have to be one of the most un-understood thing. lol

So I was going to go with the Interstate Battery but some things have changed. My dad has informed me that he has a NEW Optima Yellow top deep-cycle battery that I can have. Now I have been trying to read up on the Yellow top and it sounds more like they belong in a marine application.. Will this work or should I go with just a straight marine battery? My whole thing is I want to be able to run my stereo for a certain length of time while the boat is not on.

Thanks..

A yellow top optima is no different than a blue top other than the top post terminals. The blue top has auto and marine terminals and the yellow top only has auto terminals. It will work just fine.