Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GoPro video camera

mcbean7

As a parent I get a little paranoid about the kids on the steeps like this... later in the day we saw a woman eject from her skis and totally "rag doll" down an adjacent chute for about 300 yards.

Yeah, the vid looked like it was on the early morning crusties.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• areamike

• shawndoggy

• mcbean7

• TrickyNicky

The Go Pro works great for snowskiing and snowboarding. A few friends of mine have had their cameras for a while. I just go one and can't wait to use it for slalom waterskiing. The cameras case is waterproof.

Here are two links I found on youtube in a quick search:

Camera ski looking back at skiier:

Camera on skier:

The Go Pro is pretty damn cool!

zactly. Corned up nicely about an hour later.

Sierra was pretty corned up early in the am. Unfortunately, my 15yr old nephew lost his edge in that junk while snowboarding at about 5 mph and landed on his wrist and broke it.

Later in the day, it was a slush fest.

We have never been to Mt Rose, but the chute looks pretty cool. I just got my GoPro last week can't wait to start playing with it. Kinda wish I had it with me, since my nephew went down just 25ft ahead of me.

Went skiing with the kids yesterday with the chesty on. The vid quality is very good. I'm definitely pleased with it.

Shawn, what did you have your camera set to? It didn't look like you had it set 1080 since there is no wide fish eye. Quality was still awesome though.

The Go Pro works great for snowskiing and snowboarding. A few friends of mine have had their cameras for a while. I just go one and can't wait to use it for slalom waterskiing. The cameras case is waterproof.

Here are two links I found on youtube in a quick search:

Camera ski looking back at skiier:

Camera on skier:

The Go Pro is pretty damn cool!

Those are sweet videos! May have just convinced me to buy one.Biggrin.gif

Best in bounds steeps in the Sierras. Had a pass at Squaw this year and was severely disappointed.

I was never to impressed with Squaw. I just bought a 2010/2011 pass at Sierra for $199, and already got to use it twice. I like the blacks at Sierra for skiing and they have some great steep groomers and terrain parks for snowboarding. This winter I am also going to take advantage of there Friday Back Country tours.

But for now, its time to focus on Summer watersports :yahoo:

Those are sweet videos! May have just convinced me to buy one.Biggrin.gif

Get the chest mount while you're at it. I got the Motorsports Hero Wide standard definition version and the chest mount. I wanted the additional mounts so I can have some flexibility. I have used mine while barefooting quite a few times and the videos look great.

Get the chest mount while you're at it. I got the Motorsports Hero Wide standard definition version and the chest mount. I wanted the additional mounts so I can have some flexibility. I have used mine while barefooting quite a few times and the videos look great.

Nice Video Mike! Maybe you should try mounting that backwards. Get a nice shot of the spray, or backwards footing. Tease2.gif Maybe its's the fish lense doing funny things but it looks liek you may even be able to get some water up onto those bridges when you pass by.footing.gif

Any recommendations on different mounting pieces or which camera/lens to go with. I'll be using it for watersports, snowboarding and a bit of mountain biking.

Not to hijack a thread --- but how to I embed you tube videos here? Thanks!

When you reply, or post, there is a little button starting from the Bold text button go all the way to the right of that row. The last one is insert media.

Nice Video Mike! Maybe you should try mounting that backwards. Get a nice shot of the spray, or backwards footing. Tease2.gif Maybe it's the fish lense doing funny things but it looks like you may even be able to get some water up onto those bridges when you pass by.footing.gif

Any recommendations on different mounting pieces or which camera/lens to go with. I'll be using it for watersports, snowboarding and a bit of mountain biking.

Pretty sure they all come with the "fish eye" looking type video. I've never adjusted mine or played with it too much. I watched Shawn's video using the HD version and compared to my standard I don't see a huge difference. Although he may not have had it on 1080P. Plus it won't look as good when uploading to youtube versus watching it on a HD TV. The HD versions are almost $150 more than the Standard Definition ones. You can take more video with the HD version, but you'll have fork out more money for a bigger SD card too. In the end if I were to buy again, I'd still get the Standard Def. one. I'm kinda cheap. I think Shawn has both versions so he may shed more light on the differences. Again, I went with the motorsports version as it seemed to have more option mounts. The suction cup mount is pretty darn strong. I haven't used any of the other mounts yet. I was planning on putting one on my mountain bike. Otherwise, get the "naked" one with no mounts and then get the mounts you want/need.

Standard Wide Hero naked is only 99 bucks.

I think if I mounted it on my back, I'd have to do a step off start. Deep water start and I may lose the camera. As for backwards footin. Only made that start once and haven't tried since.

EDIT: I bought mine off ebay. I found it cheaper. Also, get your memory card from tigerdirect.com or similar. They are cheaper there too. I get almost 2 hours on a 4GB SDHC card. Lithiums work best in cold, but rechargeable Nihms are good for warmer weather. Lithiums will last about 3 hours, while Nihm's 850amh last about 2.

Edited by areamike

I got the Hero HD Motorsports which has some great mounts included in the kit:

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=30#

I am going to get the Handlebar seatpost mount to also mount in various locations:

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=14

From these links you can also see the other kits that are available as well.

PS, I got my GoPro Hero HD on eBay from a reputable dealer for $255 no tax free shipping.

Edited by stewart

Mike and Stewart, thanks for the info and help. For my purposes $100 or anything close is a joke. I'm definitly going to have to pick one up. I'm still in the HD debate though. I can get SD cards for nothing from family that works at bestbuy. Any comments on battery life, as I know the HD has a lithium ion but also needs more power.

And yes mike that would be a risky procedure mounting on the back. Can't you just turn it around while your up, you have those skills right Tease.gif

Mike -- still working on rendering so it looks clean on youtube. On my computer the difference between the 5mp and the HD is night and day (way more definition).

The 5mp uses AAA batteries -- it's major weakness imho. It really likes the lithium AAA's which are about $5 for two if you get them somewhere cheap. They'd last about 2.5 hours or so. If you are going to use it a cold climate (temps below freezing), lithiums are a must. For warm summer afternoons AAA rechargeables will work well.

The HD has a LI-Ion battery. Lasts 3 or so hours. Recharge via usb, so very convenient. You could recharge in the boat or car, for instance.

As for mounts, this is where gopro "gets" you. I'd prolly go with the helmet version, because it also comes with some small sticky mounts and some handlebar mounts. For snowboarding (or the waterski vid posted earlier), I'd get one of the surfboard mounts. The stick on mounts use 3M VRB tape, which holds on great... till it doesn't. The surfboard mount is a much bigger stick on mount and provides a lot more surface area.

Just got the chesty mount and it's really cool too (for poorman's version if you are skinny, the stretchy elastic helmet mount can be used as a bra strap type mount... not nearly as beefy tho).

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to get mine. The guys on the paddle board forums are lovin this new camera too.

Heres a shot that Jake just sent me from his...... about to throw his face straight down into a front flip.

JakeFrontFlip.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

sweet. :thumbup:

That's kind of a trippy angle.

Yeah, not the best. I've got one of those motorsports suction cup mounts that I'm gonna suck onto the transom next time. I think that will give a killer view for surfing. Wish I would have done it yesterday but I was having way too much fun in the water to mess around with cameras.

Yeah, not the best. I've got one of those motorsports suction cup mounts that I'm gonna suck onto the transom next time. I think that will give a killer view for surfing. Wish I would have done it yesterday but I was having way too much fun in the water to mess around with cameras.

That means you're doing it right!!!!!!!Thumbup.gif

For $170. you might want to check out the Tachyon xc camera. their website is full of videos, check the sport video section. They also have a 3d version for under $400.

They have a variety of mounts as well. including a helmet mount:

Mounting-XC-Helmet-E.jpg

and how about for your shotgun:

Mounting-XC-Side-D.jpg

or your bike or quad:

Mounts-Swivel-Mount-C.jpg

Works GREAT for surfing from the transom.... duh I messed up the angle a little though, forgetting to compensate for the bow rise while the boat is under power.