Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Wax?

I recently tied my cover down during several very windy days with bungee cords. When I return from work 2 days later the bungee cord lost all of it's rubber coating and the metal was rubbing on my brand new gel coat Cry.gif . It reallly did a number on it. Well, with several hours to kill, I polished the area with a low abrasive wax- 3M cleaner wax then re-applied 2 coats of Maguire's Flag ship Wax. the scratches are 80% gone, 100% if you don't get within 6 inches, but it has a very slight haze to the gel coat. How do I, or what can I use to get that Show Room gloss back in that area?

Meguires swirl remover and then Meguires show car polish. Both available at an auto body supply house. Swirl remover is my new best friend when it comes to getting out fine cover scatches.

Sheeprides - that handle gives me the creeps just typing it. Do you own Velcro gloves? The Eagle wax as you dry works great. We use it every time we pull the boat out of the water, makes the boat easier to clean.

Porter Cable random orbit buffer, 3m finesse IT, 3m Perfect IT works awsome.

I'll second the Finesse. That is all we use here, in the fiberglass shop as well.

To keep the dust from building up, I use a detail spray from the local parts store. It smells like carnuba, shines up great, and comes off easy.

Would I use the same technique to remove the very fine scratches left by bumpers?

On the 4th of July I made the huge mistake of tying off to a boat dock in very rough water. The bumpers each rubbed a big spot on the black and red gel coat, of fine scratches. It's almost like a 6-inch round dull spot. Man I was pissed. Never again...

What compound and technique would remove these scratches best?

(Hope this is not a hijack, didn't deem it worthy of starting a new topic)

I bought the Porter Cable random orbit buffer from griotsgarage.com Saves alot of work. You can go the pneumatic route but you will need a seriously big air compressor to drive it due to the SCFM required. You will probably have to go with a mild rubbing compound followed up with the Perfect It & Finesse It.

I had some real nice scratches on my boat from the boat lift. I ended up having to sand it out. 1500 & 2000 grit wet. There are some great posts on the site regarding this. One thing that wasn't mentioned is IF you have to sand, it help to keep the work area wet as well as the paper. The fine grit will clog up real easy otherwise.

BTW, your boat looks very very nice. But with dark colors I would invest in a solid well made buffer, dark colors will show slight imperfections more readily that a light color hull.

I bought the Porter Cable random orbit buffer from griotsgarage.com  Saves alot of work.  You can go the pneumatic route but you will need a seriously big air compressor to drive it due to the SCFM required.  You will probably have to go with a mild rubbing compound followed up with the Perfect It & Finesse It. 

I had some real nice scratches on my boat from the boat lift.  I ended up having to sand it out. 1500 & 2000 grit wet.  There are some great posts on the site regarding this.  One thing that wasn't mentioned is IF you have to sand, it help to keep the work area wet as well as the paper.  The fine grit will clog up real easy otherwise.

BTW, your boat looks very very nice.  But with dark colors I would invest in a solid well made buffer, dark colors will show slight imperfections more readily that a light color hull.

Carrying a spray bottle with you is very handy. Just sand with one hand and continually spray with the other. It helps things to move along more smoothly while sanding.

Try starting out with #0000 steel wool to get those scratches out (or 1000 grit sandpaper if they're bad enough). Then rubbing compound, Finesse It, and wax.