Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternatives to US Gear Bridle SOC

Slalom Frog

I know that it is a rare happening but I seem to read at least one story a year about someone getting seriously hurt or worse due to some part of their body getting stuck inside the handle during a crash. For many years I have considered getting something like US Gear's Bridle SOC. Their version seems a little "bulky" for my taste. Can anyone suggest any alternatives to this product?

Thanks!

I know that it is a rare happening but I seem to read at least one story a year about someone getting seriously hurt or worse due to some part of their body getting stuck inside the handle during a crash. For many years I have considered getting something like US Gear's Bridle SOC. Their version seems a little "bulky" for my taste. Can anyone suggest any alternatives to this product?

Thanks!

Here's something new, supposedly coming out this year.

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3150-New-Safe-Handle

When we're hydrofoiling, we always use the Cinch Release on our ropes (automatic, works on line tension). I also have a KW Show Ski manual tower release on my tower. We'll put someone on the pin when we're working on new tricks that are common for hanging up on the rope, like 360's and front flips.... Then, as long as your pin person is good, you don't get any jerk from the boat if you get wrapped up.

http://www.foilforum...New-Safe-Handle

When we're hydrofoiling, we always use the Cinch Release on our ropes (automatic, works on line tension). I also have a KW Show Ski manual tower release on my tower. We'll put someone on the pin when we're working on new tricks that are common for hanging up on the rope, like 360's and front flips.... Then, as long as your pin person is good, you don't get any jerk from the boat if you get wrapped up.

I might have to get one just cause the way it looks.

There are a couple of other similar items available: the Arm Guard and the Handle Guard. Similar concept but made of plastic not fabric. You can also get a cross bar attached to the handle that will keep your head from going through, see the intow website.

You can also get a cross bar attached to the handle that will keep your head from going through, see the intow website.

fyi, the intow website (jlbmfg.com) has shown for many months that they are "not currently shipping handles w/ the cross bar"

http://www.foilforum...New-Safe-Handle

What is a cinch release. I like the idea of a rope release since our crew is starting to get into inverts.

There are a couple of other similar items available: the Arm Guard and the Handle Guard. Similar concept but made of plastic not fabric. You can also get a cross bar attached to the handle that will keep your head from going through, see the intow website.

The Arm Guard was the first one of these type of things and it is a fairly thin piece of Lexan. You can find the guy that designed them (and has patents on the concept) at thewaterskiforum.com. I am pretty sure FM has a similar product also. The Arm Guard is custom made to your handle so it fits perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the contributions. Exactly what I was looking for but could not seem to find them. Quite simple, considering actually making one myself. I'm not a big fan on the zip ties to fasten it to the handle. "Safety" zip ties might be acceptable.

What is a cinch release. I like the idea of a rope release since our crew is starting to get into inverts.

The Cinch release is made by Cinch Hydrofoil Products. You can find them here: http://www.cinchmax.com/ .

If you're starting inverts, get a rope release, and also his Foot Stays. They should be required on any ski going upside-down... They will keep your feet in the bindings on bad landings...

That new (safety) handle design is certainly intriguing. As Slalom Frog mentioned, there has been growing discussion on slalom forums about skiers sustaining severe injuries from "arm through handle" wipeouts. We won't even get into the "head through handle" ones.

I'm curious as to whether there is similar a concern among Boarders and Foilers??? My thought is that w/ the flips, spins, etc... the incidence would be significantly greater.

Any riders/foilers care to chime in?

That new (safety) handle design is certainly intriguing. As Slalom Frog mentioned, there has been growing discussion on slalom forums about skiers sustaining severe injuries from "arm through handle" wipeouts. We won't even get into the "head through handle" ones.

I'm curious as to whether there is similar a concern among Boarders and Foilers??? My thought is that w/ the flips, spins, etc... the incidence would be significantly greater.

Any riders/foilers care to chime in?

It's definately a huge concern with foilers. EVERYONE rides with an automatic rope release of some type (Cinch, Samson Bullet, or Comptech). I like to add a manual on the boat as well for when you're learning new tricks.

Even with an automatic rope release, you'll still get a signifcant jerk from the boat if you hang the handle on your arm, but it will let loose, hopefully before bones break!

If you go over to ballofspray.com there is a fair amount of information about TW's Armguard and feedback from skiers that use one. I am a little biased. I've had an Armguard on my handle for over 2 years now. In my mind, it is the most carefully developed and highest quality handle safety product out there. At the very least, it's custom made for your handle and you know the material (lexan).

The zip ties are not really and issue: I'm not really sure what other options there are that would be superior. The ties included are not the generic zip ties your would find at Home Depot. Those zip ties have rough edges and are very sharp when they fail. The Armguard kit includes Ty-Rap brand ties. They are very smooth and stretch quite far before failing. If it is stressed to failure, the exposed ends are not sharp. In the 2 years the Armguard has been on my handle (including the mashing and mangling it goes through twice a round at tournaments), the Ty-Raps have not cause any damage to the exposed bridal.

Edited by HO 410