Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover Story

FlatH20

I know that this topic has garnished considerable attention in the past and continues to generate controversy. here's my story

Last fall when I put the Bu' up for the season I towed it uncovered nearly 300 miles for the winterization- when I brought it home it was a flippin mess - rained the entire time down and back... this mess created some good quality bonding time over the winter with my boat...

I did the obligatory check-in with the fine folks at malibu and inquired as to wether or not my Mooring coover (which claimed to be towable) would be recommended by the manufacturer to tow with - Malibu promptly responded letting me know they don't endorse towing with any cover on the boat due in large part over concerns associated with the gel-coat.

when I purchased my boat late last season I also purchased a mooring cover. looking on the return address it looks like it came from commercial sewing out of the east coast - at any rate it's the ratcheting version which clips and velcro's around the tower with a few vents (I suppose that this is marketed by more then Malibu. fast forward....

this morning it was raining and I had scheduled the de-winterization today together with a few minor warranty issues at the same dealership - I kept the cover on the boat - cinched it down and made the same journey with the same weather conditions... I got home a couple hours back and would like to report that the cover worked perfectly - no issues with rubbing on the gel coat the cover fit like a glove and stayed put. I flipped it back to a nice clean interior ready to tow a few sets....

the moral of the story- great customer service from Malibu on the warranty, great service from the dealership (Active) and the cover performed as advertised... too bad it's only thursday- feels like friday...

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

FWIW...I've heard of people using packaging "saran wrap" to wrap the boat about a foot and a half tall all around the circumference of the boat where the cover could flap/rub with good results.

I know that this topic has garnished considerable attention in the past and continues to generate controversy. here's my story

Last fall when I put the Bu' up for the season I towed it uncovered nearly 300 miles for the winterization- when I brought it home it was a flippin mess - rained the entire time down and back... this mess created some good quality bonding time over the winter with my boat...

I did the obligatory check-in with the fine folks at malibu and inquired as to wether or not my Mooring coover (which claimed to be towable) would be recommended by the manufacturer to tow with - Malibu promptly responded letting me know they don't endorse towing with any cover on the boat due in large part over concerns associated with the gel-coat.

when I purchased my boat late last season I also purchased a mooring cover. looking on the return address it looks like it came from commercial sewing out of the east coast - at any rate it's the ratcheting version which clips and velcro's around the tower with a few vents (I suppose that this is marketed by more then Malibu. fast forward....

this morning it was raining and I had scheduled the de-winterization today together with a few minor warranty issues at the same dealership - I kept the cover on the boat - cinched it down and made the same journey with the same weather conditions... I got home a couple hours back and would like to report that the cover worked perfectly - no issues with rubbing on the gel coat the cover fit like a glove and stayed put. I flipped it back to a nice clean interior ready to tow a few sets....

the moral of the story- great customer service from Malibu on the warranty, great service from the dealership (Active) and the cover performed as advertised... too bad it's only thursday- feels like friday...

I just finished a good "review" of cover or no cover.....and then if cover which cover?????? I had a custom cover for my last boat (bayliner) and towed it with the cover for 5 years, 5 to 6 highway trips minimum per year, never an issue. I like to have a cover on if there is bad weather. so with the new BU I did alot of calling and was told the same, do not tow distances with the mooring cover. I did tow it to the dealer 45 minutes away via HWY in the rain and had no issues. However I am not sold it would be the cover for long hauls so......

I have ordered a cover from Cory at Evolution....and can't wait......

and my brand new mooring cover is for sale in the classifed sections of this site........if anyone needs a fantastic mooring cover :-)

FWIW...I've heard of people using packaging "saran wrap" to wrap the boat about a foot and a half tall all around the circumference of the boat where the cover could flap/rub with good results.

I used the pallet wrap available at office depot......worked great. Got some weird looks at the boat ramp :crazy:

I've used that blue painter's tape before.

I have been towing my boats with the cover on for 20 plus years. I have never seen any damage to the gel.

I always put a towel across the top of the windshield to protect both windshield and cover. The key is to get the cover tight if it moves it will put rub marks on the boat. On my 08 210 I have the commercial cover with the cinch.

The cover blew off when towing at 65mph against a 35mph head wind it flopped around like a flag. The two clinch ratchets were like hammers. Luckily they only hit the sundeck pad with no damage. I have since added 5 straps to secure the cover. We clean the boat at the ramp and with the cover on it stays clean no matter what the weather.