Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting Hull Numbers and Stickers off Hull

AndersonSkiTeam

I have a boat that I need to register in another Jurisdiction from where it was bought and so I need to get the old Hull numbers off. There are also a few stickers ext I would like to remove. Any ideas on best way of doing this without ruining gel coat. I tried using heat but stickers would not budge. Is there sometype of solvent or other cleaning item that might work?

This is another topic I know but anyone use something good to re-glue the grips back down on the walk through dash on a Response lx?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

You tried heat already? That is usually the best one to get the vinyl itself off. I have a heat gun from Harbor Freight..... like $15. But a lot of guys have used a hair dryer.

Typically I'll need to clean up the adhesive with some product like Goo Gone or Goof Off, available at any hardware store. Then clean & wax the boat.

Are you sure it's decals? and not paint?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

There's a product called "Sticker Off" I see advertised in Overton's and West Marine. If you are close to a West Marine you could try this out. Personally, I have not tried it so don't know how well it works.

You could try Goof Off from Home Depot or any other hardware store. I'm not sure if this will be too harsh on the gel coat though.

I had to do the same thing to my boat since I bought it used. Registration stickers and hull ID numbers had to come off. There wasn't much glue left behind though. I just used some Babe's to polish the area and removed the remaining bits of glue.

Ahh..Bill beat me to it with the Goof Off.

Edited by mcbean7

I'll try some heat again and some of the cleaners mentioned. It maybe didn't help that it was 5C outside when I was trying. I'll throw it in the garage and heat it up and see if that works.

HEhe, yea, the cold temps didn't help. When the boat warms up, and you can warm up the decal, I imagine the vinyl itself will come up. Depending on how old they are, you might have to work in small areas, ie; 2" or 3" at a time..... Heat up, peel, heat up, peel some more, heat up, peel the biggest possible piece, etc.

I did every decal on my MC. Then waxed the heck out of it. Looks great. But it was a LOT of work.

Heat for sure. A hair dryer is more than enough. Hold it in one spot for 20-30 seconds and peel slowly. Laquer thinner or mineral spirits will clean up any residual spooge.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know lots of support and Malibu lovers out there.

I did get in trouble when a friend traded in his 2008 Response Lxi for a Nautique 200 and I told him that was an expensive down grade.

I did get in trouble when a friend traded in his 2008 Response Lxi for a Nautique 200 and I told him that was an expensive down grade.

:lol: Nice. :thumbup:

Hair dryer and goo gone, plus plastic putty knife (razor blade would scare the heck out of me and didn't end up being necessary)

No doubt. :shocked:

I just removed 10 year old reg #'s to put on my domed numbers and a little heat was all it took. Did it on a day that was around 70° F though...I don't even want to think about 5° C... :no:

Edited by NorCaliBu