Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

drive by wire

footinforever

Hi There,

I am wondering if my 2007 Malibu Response LX is drive by wire. I have perfect pass in it, but the lake I have it on requires zero-off for tournament use. Stargazer won't work either. So wondering if this boat can be upgraded to Zero-off. It has a 320Indmar, LCR engine as well. thanks,

Footinforever

Hi There,

I am wondering if my 2007 Malibu Response LX is drive by wire. I have perfect pass in it, but the lake I have it on requires zero-off for tournament use. Stargazer won't work either. So wondering if this boat can be upgraded to Zero-off. It has a 320Indmar, LCR engine as well. thanks,

Footinforever

A lot of people say drive by wire, but technically it is Throttle by Wire. Throttle by wire became standard, I believe, in 2006 so the answer would be yes to throttle by wire, Can't say if it can be upgraded to zero-off... but probably

I'm guessing it doesn't. I have a '08 LXi and that is the first year that ZO can be put in a Malibu (if I get an new ECM). I think Nautiques were a couple years ahead in that department hence the reason the previous poster may think you're okay.

Come to think of it, I don't believe LX's had TBW in '08. Just the LXi.

I'm sure other will chime in to confirm my suspicions.

A lot of people say drive by wire, but technically it is Throttle by Wire. Throttle by wire became standard, I believe, in 2006 so the answer would be yes to throttle by wire, Can't say if it can be upgraded to zero-off... but probably

Throttle by wire in '06, shift by wire came in '07. I can't say for sure on the LX, but I'd be a little surprised if it didn't have it.

Hi There,

Footinforever

A couple of things here: First I think that as the rules are written today, a '07 boat can't pull tournaments anyway, only the last two years so an '08 boat is that oldest boat to pull tournaments. There is a move underfoot to re-write the rules to allow "any ZO equipped boat" to pull tournaments as the boats have gotten so expensive that not all lakes/promo people can keep buying new boats.

the second thing is that I am not sure where the TBW was introduced with the LCR motor.... I think the others have adequetely addressed the monsoon engine but I don't know if the LCR is the same.

Lastly, are you asking about general use on the lake? Or for use in tournaments? I find it hard to believe a lake has rules written to require the users to have a specific speed control. Tournament rules are different.

Hi There,

Footinforever

Yes. Your boat is throttle by wire, and is equipped with a Delphi ECM. You will need to have an eControls M5GCP ECM installed, replacing your original Delphi unit. (ECM exchange is $977) With this installed you can then install Zero-Off in your boat.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Peter

Yes. Your boat is throttle by wire, and is equipped with a Delphi ECM. You will need to have an eControls M5GCP ECM installed, replacing your original Delphi unit. (ECM exchange is $977) With this installed you can then install Zero-Off in your boat.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks Smoothwaterman.. It sounds like you know your stuff. Thanks for the help and to the other posters. I will pursue this other module! Thanks for the responses...no pun intended~!

Thanks,

Peter

My boat has ZO and Perfect Pass installed with the eControls ECM. This works very well.

Thanks,

Peter

I do have a couple of questions since I want to do this retrofit for the summer and install ZO.

ZO no longer sells the ECM but said to get it from either Indmar or a dealer. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm going to need my dealer to install both the ECM and ZO.

Should I buy the components separately and then have the dealer install them or do Malibu dealers have access to both ZO systems and the required ECM. Also wondering what way would be cheaper and how many hours of labour I'm looking at.

I think many of us wish we were closer to your dealership Peter!

Brian

I do have a couple of questions since I want to do this retrofit for the summer and install ZO.

ZO no longer sells the ECM but said to get it from either Indmar or a dealer. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm going to need my dealer to install both the ECM and ZO.

Should I buy the components separately and then have the dealer install them or do Malibu dealers have access to both ZO systems and the required ECM. Also wondering what way would be cheaper and how many hours of labour I'm looking at.

I think many of us wish we were closer to your dealership Peter!

Brian

I would buy this from ZO directly. We were able to get the econtrol from ZO, it plugs in, in place of the existing ECM. Very easy and quick. As for the rest of the mounting the hardest part is routing the cables to the GPS sensors. Other than that its pretty simple. My dealer charges $120 an hour. No way will they be touching my boat unless it is a warranty issue.

Sorry to hear that opinion Sullivan, but I'm sure the dealers will survive without you.

Brian and others, your Malibu dealer has access to everything you need, no matter if you install it or have them install it. Even when ZO was selling it the price is the same, so there is no negative side.

If you have issues let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks,

Peter

Sorry to hear that opinion Sullivan, but I'm sure the dealers will survive without you.

Brian and others, your Malibu dealer has access to everything you need, no matter if you install it or have them install it. Even when ZO was selling it the price is the same, so there is no negative side.

If you have issues let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks,

Peter

My appologies Peter, I did not mean to offend you personally or your dealership. I sent you a PM.

Sullivan,

Thanks, I read both. I might have come off a bit harsh as well, as I was in the mood to reply like for like. My apologies as well.

edit: the following is just my voice, making a statement. It is not an invitation for discussion or debate, as it is pre-loaded with ammo for someone to jump on the pro's and con's. It is written purely as information from one side of the river. With luck, we can all ski in the same river and enjoy it throughly, even if we still go home to our respective sides.

Just as an FYI for all, as one of the points brought up relates to the warranty, and the transfer of warranties.

Malibu in years past had ...well, "overlooked" may be the best term, warranties started as "new" for customers buying boats from a promo team member. As this was thought of to be a perk, it was really a disservice to Malibu and Indmar, as now they were essentially providing a 4 year warranty bow to stern, along with the lifetime warranty.

This changed a few years back, when Malibu informed all dealers that regardless of who owned the boat, the in-service date (delivery date) to the first customer was when the warranty period started, no matter who the customer was. The second part of this which has always been there is the warranty transfer forms for both Malibu and Indmar. While the 3 year warranty does carry over to the second owner (lifetime does not unless paid for), the Indmar warranty does not transfer without a fee paid to Indmar, and neither transfer without the warranty transfer inspection forms.

The warranty inspection forms are quite detailed, perhaps more so than many dealers do when taking a boat in on trade. Full engine inspections including compression test (or cylinder leak-down test), ECM calibration, etc, and full boat inspections including some time-eaters like hydrophonic box test. The whole deal takes time to complete, fill out the forms and forward them to Malibu and Indmar with payment to complete the transfer.

My point is just this. To transfer the warranty will cost you money, (And unless you have a written authorization from a Malibu (company) Rep saying he's going to cover the cost, expect to pay) Second, and no offense to promo team owners as I was one from 87-97 myself, but they often will say you're buying a new boat, and let the dealer try to make it fly. I did. Heck, I believed I was doing so much work for the dealer that they should have paid me! hehehe....and of course I was much younger and idealistic then.

I understand some labor rates have skyrocketed, and often I myself don't understand the rational, but I do understand how I set my own pricing, and the agonizing I endure trying to find a happy medium between being fair to the customer and keeping the shop open. The only thing I can suggest is this. Don't look at the hourly rate posted on the wall. Talk to the dealer about what needs to be fixed, what the driveability problem is, or just you'd like to transfer the warranty. Get an estimate, quote, or set a limit on what you'll spend to diagnose the issue, before moving on. Many times you might find that the total cost quoted is less than the hourly rate added up. I understand that it's value may not always be justifiable to you, and you may choose to not complete the work. Other times you will. But discuss it first so that you both have a clear understanding, and can respect where it stands.

Thanks for your time,

Peter Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Peter

Hi, I also have a Response 2007 and also need to install a Zero off.

I was wondering if it is an electronic compatibility problem or a

cable compatibility problem.

In the second case, it would be possible to build a special cable

instead of replacing the ECM.

I leave in France and it's not easy to find this eControls unit.

Hi, I also have a Response 2007 and also need to install a Zero off.

I was wondering if it is an electronic compatibility problem or a

cable compatibility problem.

In the second case, it would be possible to build a special cable

instead of replacing the ECM.

I leave in France and it's not easy to find this eControls unit.

You can now covert all 2007 and onwards Malibu,s, they are all Drive by Wire. You HAVE to buy new E Controls ECM as it runs the Zero Off. Malibu now sell to the dealer a plug and play kit. ECM is a straight swap for the Delphi unit. I have converted 6 or so 2007 and 2008 Malibu's to Zero Off and all customers are pleased they made the swap despite the cost.

You can now covert all 2007 and onwards Malibu,s, they are all Drive by Wire. You HAVE to buy new E Controls ECM as it runs the Zero Off. Malibu now sell to the dealer a plug and play kit. ECM is a straight swap for the Delphi unit. I have converted 6 or so 2007 and 2008 Malibu's to Zero Off and all customers are pleased they made the swap despite the cost.

Thanks for your reply.

it's better to ear this than stories I was told before.

Anyway my question is still alive.

Can anyone tell me if i can upgrade my 2006 LXI to ZO?? It is a DBW boat with the 320 monsoon (running PP Classic i think ?)

MC

There are no calibrations for any 2006 Malibu Boats for the E Controls ECM. Although 2006 boats had MEFI 5 and DBW there does not seem to be the will to release an ECM for this model year. I guess if enough people created the demmand it could be done. Zero Off needs an E Controls ECM,CAN wiring from engine to dash, Drive by Wire Throttle and the ECM calibrations to run the boat.

• 1 year later...

A couple of questions...

Has anyone done the Zero off lately on an 2007 Response LXI 383 Hammerhead?

I am wondering about a total cost for Zero Off, Econtrols ECM and this Magic Harness?

If not mistaken thats all I will need?

I sent Zero Off an email to inquire if I can get all these parts from them or if I have to shop three spots (Zero Off, Econtrols, Malibu).

Finally, if your time from gate to gate (16.95 @34 I believe) then what is the actual difference between the 2 systems? At the end of the day 16.95 is 16.95...

Sorry if this seems like a quiz and I appreciate the input...

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me how to convert my 2008 LXi to ZO. We have the new M5GCP ECM and wiring unit. I need a step by step to figure out how to install it. The boat currently has the factory Malibu cruise.

Thanks!