Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Oil

...and that's supposed to be funny? laugh on...laugh on.

[second "laugh on" with more emphasis]

Again, ya'll's attempt to make fun of the proven fact that Subway makes it's subs upside down and at the same time take a thread off topic.....amateurs. It's really sad.

We're talkin' about Teak here :)

They had some good points and BTW is it up sidedown in China? use the oil.

This is a very good product, anything that has a high percentage of tung oil combined with linseed oil will give good penetration and U.V. protection. A good practice is to wipe it down with this product once a month and you will never have to strip, sand or refinish. I avoid anything that is a strictly a sealer or top coat.

I went ahead and decided to go with the Watco this year. Rural King had it locally and it was only about 10 bucks. I've finished sanding and applied a few coats to the top. Just have to apply to the bottom of the deck and then do a quick spot painting on my brackets.

So, do I keep applying this stuff until the deck stops absorbing it?

I went ahead and decided to go with the Watco this year. Rural King had it locally and it was only about 10 bucks. I've finished sanding and applied a few coats to the top. Just have to apply to the bottom of the deck and then do a quick spot painting on my brackets.

So, do I keep applying this stuff until the deck stops absorbing it?

I only use one coat even after I sand it down once a year. I do apply a little after every trip to the lake.

• 3 weeks later...

I see two different "Teak Guard" products out there. They look similar. Which one is the popular one?

One is: http://teak-guard.com/ - This stuff is shipped out of Australia, which makes the shipping charges outrageous.

The other is: http://www.teakguard.com/index.html - This stuff is from the USA. A little more reasonable.

They both sound pretty similar.

Teak Guard will not make the platform slippery when wet and will not flake off like varnish.

I've seen people fly off of teak platforms like they were coated with Gorilla Snot™. :lol: Wasn't it Stewart that flew off of G!!!!!'s platform at McClure a few years back. :lol: Nothing like watching a well perform swimstep dance. :rofl:

You (and the Teak Guard manual) can claim it won't make the swimstep slippery when wet but I have stood on enough of them to know the truth. :fingerwag:

I’ve used all the products listed above and no matter what you choose once the swim platform needs to be refinished IMHO you need to take the whole thing apart to clean and prep it, only way to make sure all the mold spores are removed. Otherwise it just doesn’t last.

FYI “G” didn’t use Teak Guard, and it’s not slippery when appropriately prepped and directions followed on applying teak Guard.

I’ve also been on platforms that have used Cetal Marine and seemed to work well, though I wasn’t impressed with the coloring.

...its not slippery when appropriately prepped and directions followed on applying Teak Guard.

Well then I guess every Teak Guard coated swimstep that I've been on the Teak Guard must have been applied contrary to the directions because without fail they have all been more slippery than a teak oiled swimstep. :yes:

Edited by NorCaliBu

Perhaps, I know when I contacted it was pointed out to me to do several very "light" coats rather than apply it on thick in one coat. Never had and issue w/ it being slippery, I did w/ teak oil. Now it's not an issue..Wink.gif

Perhaps, I know when I contacted it was pointed out to me to do several very "light" coats rather than apply it on thick in one coat. Never had and issue w/ it being slippery, I did w/ teak oil. Now it's not an issue..Wink.gif

Now that you're a wakeboarder with a V-Drive and a composite swimstep. :cry: Traitor!!

I went to look back at the photos and apparently they got lost along the way. :( The 2005 Memorial Day Bash Gallery is empty. I did find a post referencing Stewart's teak dance and it pointed out that it was Brad's platform not G!!!!'s. It was G!!!!!"s boat that got it's carpet hair conditioned that week-end. :lol: I'm pretty sure there was some ribbing going on about how slippery the Teak Guard deck was. :dontknow: But then .... I'm old so what do I know. :lol:

MalibuNation

The biggest key I've found is to not sand the teak real nice and smooth like you natually want to with wood. The first year I sanded it real smooth it was slippery.

The biggest key I've found is to not sand the teak real nice and smooth like you natually want to with wood. The first year I sanded it real smooth it was slippery.

Great to mention that. I never used a fine piece of sandpaper rather a rough piece to keep a "rough" feel.

• 5 months later...

I see two different "Teak Guard" products out there. They look similar. Which one is the popular one?

One is: http://teak-guard.com/ - This stuff is shipped out of Australia, which makes the shipping charges outrageous.

The other is: http://www.teakguard.com/index.html - This stuff is from the USA. A little more reasonable.

They both sound pretty similar.

Be aware, the Teak-Guard product from AU is not the same as TeakGuard from the USA. It has no UV reflective product in it and will allow your teak to gray under the finish. It is made in Europe and is water based but not nearly the same.

Edited by TeakGuard

Be aware, the Teak-Guard product from AU is not the same as TeakGuard from the USA. It has no UV reflective product in it and will allow your teak to gray under the finish. It is made in Europe and is water based but not nearly the same.

Even though this was your first post, based on your user name I’ll assume you know what you’re talking about. :biggrin::whistle: