Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Oil

Just curious...Spring is right around the corner down here in Austin. The teak oil I used last year was terrible. I bought some at West Marine and it never seemed to soak into my deck. No matter how long I left it to dry, every time we went to the lake you could see the oil come right off of the platform. What brands does everyone prefer.

Thanks

Teak Guard is great stuff. I clean my teak in the spring and then apply probably 6 to 10 coats of teak guard. After that I'm set for the season, and my teak always looks great. I have been using this for 3 or 4 years and will never go back to teak oil.

Teak Guard is great stuff. I clean my teak in the spring and then apply probably 6 to 10 coats of teak guard. After that I'm set for the season, and my teak always looks great. I have been using this for 3 or 4 years and will never go back to teak oil.

I just looked up teak guard. It sounds pretty good in print, I have just been a little nervous to put a sealer on. I have been afraid of the scratching from our boards. It says they guarantee 1 year with no chipping or cracking. Do you have to sand that stuff off each year and re-apply or just clean and add more.

I get great results from a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. You can go heavier on the mineral spirits the first time too, to make sure the oil is not too thick and will soak in. The mineral spirits evaporates and leaves a nice finish that lasts the summer for me. This route is cheaper as well.

I just looked up teak guard. It sounds pretty good in print, I have just been a little nervous to put a sealer on. I have been afraid of the scratching from our boards. It says they guarantee 1 year with no chipping or cracking. Do you have to sand that stuff off each year and re-apply or just clean and add more.

Yes it does not chip, peel or crack. It goes on with a foam brush and is very thin like water. It soaks into the wood and slowly wears away over the summer. It is kind of strange but I'm very happy with the product. I just clean the wood with teak cleaner each spring then apply a coat of teak guard, let dry and repeat. Since it is very thin it dries quickly and is easy to work with.

WATCO teak oil from Lowes or Home Depot. I have used it for a couple of years and like it.

This is a very good product, anything that has a high percentage of tung oil combined with linseed oil will give good penetration and U.V. protection. A good practice is to wipe it down with this product once a month and you will never have to strip, sand or refinish. I avoid anything that is a strictly a sealer or top coat.

This is a very good product, anything that has a high percentage of tung oil combined with linseed oil will give good penetration and U.V. protection. A good practice is to wipe it down with this product once a month and you will never have to strip, sand or refinish. I avoid anything that is a strictly a sealer or top coat.

Does it stay or get slippery with the monthly wipe down? I always redo mine in the winter to avoid a slippery platform.

Does it stay or get slippery with the monthly wipe down? I always redo mine in the winter to avoid a slippery platform.

If you lay down a heavy coat and let it dry in the sun it will act like a soft coat of varnish and become slick. The key is to have a light coat and reapply especially in high wear areas like where your cover rubs

It doesn't get slippery at all. As it's drying it is very sticky so don't mow the grass right after you apply it. I do a quick wipe down a few times a month mainly because of the way wake boards tend to scratch the teak. I learned after the first winter though to bring my platform inside during the off season.

So the jury is still out on what brand of teak oil and cleaner is recommended?

I've always used Amazon's oil, but want to try something different this year. I thought about the Teak Guard product but it is not really teak oil is it? And I am afraid that it will be slick when the platform gets wet.

I'd like to hear some input on Teak cleaners. What have the masses used and what gives the best results for restoring that gray/weathered look?

. What have the masses used and what gives the best results for restoring that gray/weathered look?

100 grit, 120, 220 sand paper sequence.

Time to bust out the belt sander. I did a great job last winter re-doing my deck, problem is I over neglected it during the summer(got lazy). I won't do that again.

Then, this.

37 bucks?!?!? :shocked:

FWIW I like Warco teak oil, that stuff, like condiment gas, is too harmful to the environment , even though i know nothing about it :crazy: :crazy:

Watco Teak Oil. :thumbup: I've used a number of different brands. The only two that I'd recommend would be Amazon's and Watco and I preferred the Watco of the two.

I thought about the Teak Guard product but it is not really teak oil is it? And I am afraid that it will be slick when the platform gets wet.

My experience with TeakGard is that it makes the swimstep feel as though it is coated with Gorilla Snot™. :yes::lol:

I'd like to hear some input on Teak cleaners.

Again, I've used a number of different brands and Amazon's Teak Cleaner is what's on my shelf. :thumbup:

I used to sand mine too and was always disappointed with how slick it ended up. Somewhere along the line I picked up on using coarse steel wool instead and I am much happier with the results. It easily strips all of the gray "fuzz" buildup off of the platform but doesn't make it so smooth that it becomes slick.

FWIW I like Warco teak oil, that stuff, like condiment gas, is too harmful to the environment , even though i know nothing about it :crazy: :crazy:

Because teak oil is used so close to the boats exhaust the condiment gases are nullified. One exhaust cancels the other exhaust. :tease2:

This makes it safe for the environment making it OK to eat an upside down Subway sanwich while sitting on your swim platform. :woot:

Because teak oil is used so close to the boats exhaust the condiment gases are nullified. One exhaust cancels the other exhaust. :tease2:

This makes it safe for the environment making it OK to eat an upside down Subway sanwich while sitting on your swim platform. :woot:

Particularly important if the upside down Subway Sandwich is being eaten during Daylight Saving Time by a cranky barefooter. :tease2::rofl:

Particularly important if the upside down Subway Sandwich is being eaten during Daylight Saving Time by a cranky barefooter. :tease2::rofl:

...and that's supposed to be funny? laugh on...laugh on.

[second "laugh on" with more emphasis]

Again, ya'll's attempt to make fun of the proven fact that Subway makes it's subs upside down and at the same time take a thread off topic.....amateurs. It's really sad.

We're talkin' about Teak here :)

Edited by areamike