Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a reworked wedge

JDubya

Saw this on ebay and I am considering bidding on it.

I am apprehensive about buying a reapired wedge. Should I steer clear or pony up and try and get a deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Original-Malibu-Wedge-w-mounting-hardware_W0QQitemZ200439948718QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eab26e5ae

I assume you would be putting this on the 2000 vlx from your other post...??? I would put a floating wedge on instead for about 6-700 on ebay.

Ha ha. I just looked at that last night myself.

Two things:

1) It is the bolt together style and has been repaired. You just never know.

2) It is the V shaped wedge. There are people here with way more knowledge than me, but from what I read the Echelon should use the original straight wedge for best results (ICBW). I'm sure it would work, and for half the price of new, it may be worth a shot. Especially if the mounting brackets are the same, you could sell/swap the wedge itself later.

Don't worry, I have many projects ahead of a wedge, so I won't be bidding the price up.

Edit: I assumed this to go on the Echelon because the Sunsetter already has one.

Edited by jk13

I would try to find one with three bolts holding the wing to the strut. My 2004 two bolt version broke twice. The three bolt version that replaced it held up well.

Ha ha. I just looked at that last night myself.

Two things:

1) It is the bolt together style and has been repaired. You just never know.

2) It is the V shaped wedge. There are people here with way more knowledge than me, but from what I read the Echelon should use the original straight wedge for best results (ICBW). I'm sure it would work, and for half the price of new, it may be worth a shot. Especially if the mounting brackets are the same, you could sell/swap the wedge itself later.

Don't worry, I have many projects ahead of a wedge, so I won't be bidding the price up.

Edit: I assumed this to go on the Echelon because the Sunsetter already has one.

To me that looks like the flat wedge - but it might be my little computer monitor throwing me off. The V wedge looks like this:

86167.jpg

Edited by Wakes

Buying an earlier wedge off eBay as others have pointed out could have the weak bolts, hard to tell over the web. The Echelon is on the SV23 hull and technically the angled wedge would be the correct version to get, the flat wedge was for the diamond hulls. I would also recommend the free floating wedge.