Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Ballast

bennekm

For those of you that have a bow ballast, do you use it and would you recommend it? Assuming more is better, but its add'l cost and add'l winterizing. Has anybody noticed a difference in resale...are boats without front ballast less desirable?

Bow ballast should not be an option it should be standard. To answer your question yes you need it. Yes it affects the resale. I made the mistake of not getting it. lucky for me I was able to add it after the fact but not all boats can have it added. Trust me when I say it is cheaper to get it from the start than to add it. Use the search button and you will find my answers to be true.

For those of you that have a bow ballast, do you use it and would you recommend it? Assuming more is better, but its add'l cost and add'l winterizing. Has anybody noticed a difference in resale...are boats without front ballast less desirable?

Bow ballast is a must for performance as well as resale. There is no additional winterization cost I know of having a bow ballast tank other than making sure it's drained. Boats without bow ballast are less desirable yes I think that's very true.

If you're looking at a boat from a dealer without bow ballast, get them to add it. Pretty cheap upgrade, my dealer charged $500 bucks.

Bow ballast should not be an option it should be standard. To answer your question yes you need it. Yes it affects the resale. I made the mistake of not getting it. lucky for me I was able to add it after the fact but not all boats can have it added. Trust me when I say it is cheaper to get it from the start than to add it. Use the search button and you will find my answers to be true.

And I happen to have 1 of those boats Mad.gif We'll see how fun filling sacs is this season.

Edited by Ndawg12

i have always figured the bow tank should be 2 compartments so you could just weight one side of the boat for surfing or both sides for boarding.

Plus1.gif I totally agree Surfing.gif

I agree Bow Ballast is a must. It is better for resale. You can easily not use it if you don't want to. But if you don't get it and then it turns out you want it, it will be more of a pain to add it or fill sacs all the time.

I find that the bow ballast will make the wake longer, this is especially helpful with wakesurfing.

I will just say you find there are more people that think the wedge is unnecessary, then you will find people thinking bow ballast is uneccesary. However, you still get the wedge because of resale value and I think the same would apply to bow ballast as well. Though it is not the end of the world if you don't get it because you could add weight if need be.

I've thought about installing a bow bag of some kind in the Vride. But we have a lot of things stored under the seats up front. So I'm a little reluctant to give up that storage. I'm thinking about making some kind of "pop bags" type thing.... basically a canvas bag full of steel shot or old tire lead, that can be placed in that dead spot under the center cushion. And it could pretty easily be moved if needed. Each bag would be around 35 or 40 lbs & have a grab handle on top. Just a guess, but I imagine 200 or 300 lbs will fit in that spot.

I've thought about installing a bow bag of some kind in the Vride. But we have a lot of things stored under the seats up front. So I'm a little reluctant to give up that storage. I'm thinking about making some kind of "pop bags" type thing.... basically a canvas bag full of steel shot or old tire lead, that can be placed in that dead spot under the center cushion. And it could pretty easily be moved if needed. Each bag would be around 35 or 40 lbs & have a grab handle on top. Just a guess, but I imagine 200 or 300 lbs will fit in that spot.

Seems like there's a lot of room (for lead) right up in the nose of the boat too.

Seems like there's a lot of room (for lead) right up in the nose of the boat too.

No doubt that I could scatter pop bags throughout the boat interior in between all the other gear pretty easily. The only issue would be getting it plastic wrapped good so it doesn't wear thru & eventually leak or rust.

I had lead & steel bricks in my MC years ago..... wrapped in plastic, then duct taped & wrapped in indoor/outdoor carpet. Never had any problems with them moving or leaking. The bag concept is a little new for me but it doesn't see like it would be any harder to protect. And accidentally kicking one with bare feet would be a lot easier.