Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

is the Moonsoon 350HP underpowered for a 23 LSV

bennekm

Guys...what do you think. With the high altitude prop, is the Moonsoon sufficient for a new 23 LSV or should I bite the bullet, pay an excessive amount to upgrade to the LS3 and be stuck with premium gas bills so that I will ultimately be happier? I'm coming from a 03 LSV with the 8.1.

Guys...what do you think. With the high altitude prop, is the Moonsoon sufficient for a new 23 LSV or should I bite the bullet, pay an excessive amount to upgrade to the LS3 and be stuck with premium gas bills so that I will ultimately be happier? I'm coming from a 03 LSV with the 8.1.

Go big or don't go at all ... how about the Hammerhead? This has been discussed here before and the group is pretty divided on this ... throw in the high altitude prop and coming from a 8.1 I'd go bigger than the Moonsoon.

Never can have too many ponies.

coming from an 8.1 I would be going with the LS3. It is not how much the fuel costs, it is how much more it costs than buying regular.

If you are in a tight market when it comes time to sell, the boat with the LS3 will sell before a stock Monsoon boat will.

Go big or don't go at all ... how about the Hammerhead? This has been discussed here before and the group is pretty divided on this ... throw in the high altitude prop and coming from a 8.1 I'd go bigger than the Moonsoon.

Never can have too many ponies.

Moonsoon or LS3 are now the only two options for a new build 2010. Hammerhead was discontinued in 09 and the 8.1L was just discontinued. I personally thought the 8.1 was the best deal, as it was only a few bucks more than the LS3 with significantly more HP and torque, and only used regular gas

Moonsoon or LS3 are now the only two options for a new build 2010. Hammerhead was discontinued in 09 and the 8.1L was just discontinued. I personally thought the 8.1 was the best deal, as it was only a few bucks more than the LS3 with significantly more HP and torque, and only used regular gas

The LS3 is 100 more HP, but only like 25 FT/LBS more torque... For wakeboarding and surfing, it probably won't matter. It's going to be a higher RPM motor to get you down the lake faster....

With the high altitude prop the Monsoon will be fine. With the stock prop and loaded down I found that combination to work really hard during a demo I did. I choose to go with the HH for that reason when I bought my boat. You won't get your upcharge $$$ back during resale, you might get a little more for your boat but you're not getting the upgrade price back.

If it was the HH I'd say go for it. But the the numbers that I've seen on the LS3 show it having a completely different power curve, with the bulk of its power made in the mid-range & top end of its rpms - not what you need in a 23'. That will be a footer's motor, not a boarder/surfer's motor. JMO

If it was the HH I'd say go for it. But the the numbers that I've seen on the LS3 show it having a completely different power curve, with the bulk of its power made in the mid-range & top end of its rpms - not what you need in a 23'. That will be a footer's motor, not a boarder/surfer's motor. JMO

^^^ Exactly.

A fact no one can ignore......fuel prices will go up. I would go for the monsoon and if your disappointed reprop.

The state and federal government will be sure to make that happen with their taxathons they've been proposing.

Not to mention the literature I saw from GM rated that motor at 418 hp not 450.

A marinized motor will generally put out more horsepower than it's automotive counterpart.... Look at all the marinized 350s over the years compared to the 350s in the GM cars and trucks those years....

A marinized motor will generally put out more horsepower than it's automotive counterpart.... Look at all the marinized 350s over the years compared to the 350s in the GM cars and trucks those years....

This was the marinized motor I'm talking about. In fact I saw a chart that showed the HH and the new LS3 HP/TQ curves next to each other and I wasn't overly impressed with the LS3.

Edited by 06vlx

This was probably due to the fact that boats had no emmissions control to rob HP. This is changing rapidly.

I have 320 in my 08 VLX and I never find the need for more power. Add another foot and a half and 400 pounds and maybe you may feel the difference. However, for practical purposes I will doubt you will ever need more power. If you are one of those guys that likes more power and that is what makes you happy, then I would say go for it(there is nothing wrong with that). I will say I have never heard anyone complain about their 23 LSV being underpowered.

I agree, Monsoon should be plenty. I currently have a Wakesetter 23 LSV with the Monsoon and have been pleased with the power. Pulls me up fine with 6-8 people in the boat on a ski and I am not a small guy!

u know what the issue is......you all have been spoiled having BU's for so long. You forget what most of the boating population has to deal with. I think I have the smallest horse power you can get in a BU, 320 hps...... but coming from a 19' bowrider with a V6 I almost wet myself the first time I took my vride out...... at this point it is hard for me to want anymore horse power.

Now lets look back on this post in 2 years and see what I say :-)

I've never spec'd any of my 23' demo boats with anything more than a Monsoon. They never needed anything more.

However I've seen the speed numbers Acme is getting with the 247 with the LS3, and all I can sey in WOW! 50.9mph.

I know we're talking about out of the hole performance, but there is a little speed freak in me

I've never spec'd any of my 23' demo boats with anything more than a Monsoon. They never needed anything more.

However I've seen the speed numbers Acme is getting with the 247 with the LS3, and all I can sey in WOW! 50.9mph.

I know we're talking about out of the hole performance, but there is a little speed freak in me

My '03 LSV with an 8.1L went 54! :)

My '03 LSV with an 8.1L went 54! :)

My buddies I/O goes faster than that, obviously, but it never bothers me not being able to get over 45 mph. Even when we are cruising around together I never find myself wanting more speed. Though I will say that if my boat went 54 I would enjoy it at times, he does always beat me to where ever we are going.

My buddies I/O goes faster than that, obviously, but it never bothers me not being able to get over 45 mph. Even when we are cruising around together I never find myself wanting more speed. Though I will say that if my boat went 54 I would enjoy it at times, he does always beat me to where ever we are going.

There are a lot of "go fast" offshore racing boats where I'm at. Nothing pisses them off more than having a ski boat not only take off quicker than them, but having to work at catching up. I love it!