Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Epic 23v

shade

Hey guys,

I have a friend who is about to pull the trigger and buy an Epic. He has never owned an inboard tow boat. Does anyone know much about these boats. He is asking me about wake boats, but the only thing I know about Epics is what you can read on the internet. Let me know if anyone has any feedback on Epic boats.

TIA

Hey guys,

I have a friend who is about to pull the trigger and buy an Epic. He has never owned an inboard tow boat. Does anyone know much about these boats. He is asking me about wake boats, but the only thing I know about Epics is what you can read on the internet. Let me know if anyone has any feedback on Epic boats.

TIA

Nice boat... I have ridden in one, behind it, and driven it. I'm not a huge fan of the styling, but it's very functional. I like all the gadgets and bling on the Malibus better. The wake is enormous with the ballast full. It was so big, it threw off my wake rolls really bad and I couldn't land any. I just didn't have enough time to get used to that wall of water on take-off!

Also, for a 23 foot boat, with 4,000 lbs of ballast, it handled very well. That dual rudder system really helps that boat corner.

The launch system on the speed control is also pretty neat. You don't have to pull the rider up. You set the pre-determined pull-up setting, and just drop the hammer. The boat controls the launch, and brings it right up to the riders speed.

If your buddy is a novice rider along with his crew he may want reconsider. But if he likes a unbelievable wake it is the boat for him. I personally like the simplicity of the boat. The construction process is different than most more state of the art. The boat is actually around a 1000lbs lighter than say a LSV23.

Hey guys,

TIA

An Epic in Keg Creek?? Can't wait to see it.

If your buddy is a novice rider along with his crew he may want reconsider. But if he likes a unbelievable wake it is the boat for him. I personally like the simplicity of the boat. The construction process is different than most more state of the art. The boat is actually around a 1000lbs lighter than say a LSV23.

Crash,

How is it more state of the art. Epic's website is not very informative. I too like the simplicity and some of the features, but don't like the styling of Epic boats.

Crash,

How is it more state of the art. Epic's website is not very informative. I too like the simplicity and some of the features, but don't like the styling of Epic boats.

I'm not 100% familiar with their build process, but when they say "resin infused" hulls, I think they're basically saying they're vacuum bagging their hulls to get rid of all the excess resin. Most manufacturers just lay-up the fiberglass cloth, and wet it with resin, and leave the excess. The excess isn't doing much, the only "strong" parts of the resin are the parts that are full of the fiberglass cloth. So, if that's what they're doing, that makes their build process more state of the art, and results in lighter boats. Not really the goal of a wake-boat, but would make for easier trailering I guess.... Just add more ballast for on the lake!

I'm not 100% familiar with their build process, but when they say "resin infused" hulls, I think they're basically saying they're vacuum bagging their hulls to get rid of all the excess resin. Most manufacturers just lay-up the fiberglass cloth, and wet it with resin, and leave the excess. The excess isn't doing much, the only "strong" parts of the resin are the parts that are full of the fiberglass cloth. So, if that's what they're doing, that makes their build process more state of the art, and results in lighter boats. Not really the goal of a wake-boat, but would make for easier trailering I guess.... Just add more ballast for on the lake!

That's pretty much how they're doing it. Similar to alot of the top bass boats. I believe Fineline is building the hulls now.

My beef with the Epic's is how shallow they are inside, vs. how deep the actual boat is. They obviously needed room for those huge ballast tanks. Also as stated before, the boat NEEDS 4000# worth of ballast to get a good wake as it's a lighter built boat

My beef with the Epic's is how shallow they are inside, vs. how deep the actual boat is. They obviously needed room for those huge ballast tanks. Also as stated before, the boat NEEDS 4000# worth of ballast to get a good wake as it's a lighter built boat

Have you ever even ridden in an Epic? They don't feel all that shallow when you're in them....

I have never been in an Epic, but I did notice it is a lighter boat. So how much of that 4000 pounds of ballast is needed to get the boat on the same level as a heavier Malibu of similar length like the 23 LSV without ballast?

I have never been in an Epic, but I did notice it is a lighter boat. So how much of that 4000 pounds of ballast is needed to get the boat on the same level as a heavier Malibu of similar length like the 23 LSV without ballast?

The EPIC without weight still has a bigger wake than a LSV with factory ballast. But keep one thing in mind that is the sole design of this boat wake. Not driveability or gadgets just big wake. I had the opportunity to ride behind one one word INTIMIDATING. It looks like a factory VLX surf wake at 80'. I was not a huge fan but i am just a average boarder. The factory surf wake is very nice ill give it that.

Well, I'll let you guys know what I think about the Epic's wake as soon as it gets warmer. My buddy pulled the trigger and a Black 09 Epic is being delivered to his house today.

My buddy has an epic.

The only things I dislike about his, is that it only has a 28 gallon fuel tank, and you have to put high test fuel in it.

Other then that, it's been a good boat for him. But his is a few years old so those things may have changed with the 2010's