Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Makers piggyback system

SunDoo

If I threaded mine in about half way it would still wobble around a good bit. Did you use thread tape?

Mine were tight as well, no tape was used.

No thread tape used.

Well then wtf is my deal!!?? Are you sure all the fittings you're referring to are flow-rite and not fly-high? The reason I ask is because on the 22nd of March you said you just ordered some, no way could you have got them all ready, was your initial install flow-rites?

Edited by Ndawg12

i had Flow Rites for the inital install. i ordered some "T" adapters so I could remove the bags from the rear locker and still have the hard tanks function. Basically to by-pass the piggy back system.

P.S. it took Flow Rite about a week to get them to me.

Edited by cyoda44

I think I misunderstood what you were referring to. The treaded fittings that went into the bags were part of the kit from Wakemakers.com. I assume they are Fly High fittings. They are not labeled as such, but look like the ones Fly High has on their web-site.

I didn't have any issue with Flow Rite's shipping. Shipped the same day I ordered.

i had Flow Rites for the inital install. i ordered some "T" adapters so I could remove the bags from the rear locker and still have the hard tanks function. Basically to by-pass the piggy back system.

P.S. it took Flow Rite about a week to get them to me.

I wonder if I got into a bad batch of adapters. I installed 3 of these with 3 of these. Like I said, I used a ton on thread tape so I guess I'll just have to wait to test it all out.

I think I misunderstood what you were referring to. The treaded fittings that went into the bags were part of the kit from Wakemakers.com. I assume they are Fly High fittings. They are not labeled as such, but look like the ones Fly High has on their web-site.

I didn't have any issue with Flow Rite's shipping. Shipped the same day I ordered.

I used the same kit from Wakemakers. Sounds like a bad run of fittings or different supplier.... :dontknow:

Ndawg... those are the same ones i'm using. I have 6 of each... 3 of each per side for the Vdrive sac set.

I'm using the "T's" to plug into the 90 deg connectors for bag by-passing. I hope I don't get too much water flowing out my vent line, since it will be hooked to one leg of the "T".

I wonder if I got into a bad batch of adapters. I installed 3 of these with 3 of these. Like I said, I used a ton on thread tape so I guess I'll just have to wait to test it all out.

The problem is with the threads. I have copied a quote of Skicraves from another topic but i think it relates here.

Yep, it sure will, because the brass ball valve Malibu uses is straight out of the hardware bin and uses NPT threads, the 747 (and all other bag related Fly High fittings) use NPS threads. Because of the low pressure nature of this application there is plenty of thread depth when using a W747 in an NPT thread, but if you're not comfortable with that then the alternative is to get an NPS ball-valve, use the hose directly onto the inlet thread of the pump method, or use Attwood 1 1/8" thread to 1" hose barb adapter.

We haven't tried it, but only because we know there's no reason NPT and NPS threads do not mate correctly. Fly High didn't lie to you, but they do like to make people think that they MUST use Fly High fittings with their bags (can't blame them, it helps sells more of their product). The fact is that's entirely unnecessary as the thread pattern used is simply NPS, so if you can find the correct fitting with NPS thread, go for it (that task can be very difficult though).

you are probably going to need 3 of these to go with your flow rite quik lok sockets (or use lots of teflon tape).

the fly high 736 this pic is from Wakemakers.

fly_high_fitting_w736.jpg

Edited by Cervelo
  • 2 weeks later...

I used the same kit from Wakemakers. Sounds like a bad run of fittings or different supplier.... :dontknow:

Ndawg... those are the same ones i'm using. I have 6 of each... 3 of each per side for the Vdrive sac set.

I'm using the "T's" to plug into the 90 deg connectors for bag by-passing. I hope I don't get too much water flowing out my vent line, since it will be hooked to one leg of the "T".

Tested the "T" connections today. I had too much water flow out the vent line... probably 1/3 of the incoming water went out the vent. I guess I'll have to install a shut off valve or a check valve.

So,I've been reading all of these threads and I'm thinking about the Piggyback system to add 750 lbs on top of my hard ballast tank. Are you guys happy with the product? Is it worth the money? Is it fairly easy to install?

Thanks!

Dave

So,I've been reading all of these threads and I'm thinking about the Piggyback system to add 750 lbs on top of my hard ballast tank. Are you guys happy with the product? Is it worth the money? Is it fairly easy to install?

Thanks!

Dave

Yes it was fairly easy. Wakemakers updated the instructions and it helped. If your looking for a "fill-r-up" and go system.....then this system works. That is what I originally wanted, but now I want more control of where the weight is. Work in progress... :crazy:

Yes it was fairly easy. Wakemakers updated the instructions and it helped. If your looking for a "fill-r-up" and go system.....then this system works. That is what I originally wanted, but now I want more control of where the weight is. Work in progress... :crazy:

Is there any chance you could post the instructions or email them to me....I'd like to see how hard it is to accomplish before I buy. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but I just installed the piggy back system on my boat and wanted to add a couple of comments. I used the 565 gravity games sacs since I had one from the previous boat. I don't think there is room in there for the 750s anyway.

I moved the anti-siphoning u-shaped fittings an inch or two higher. I may need to do the same with the hard tank drain line. If both of those are above the sac when full, there shouldn't be any water sipping out when the boat is moving.

The chrome malibu emblems on the side of the lockers are held in by 3 screws each. The tips of the screws are very sharp and could punch holes in the ballast bags. I used my dremel tool to file those down.

Finally, I think it's pretty easy to return the ballast configuration to the factory original should I not like it. Next week or so, I'll test it and see if I'll stay with it. If I hate it, I'll be looking for a tsunami pump.

I am recent purchaser of the piggyback system for a VLS. Everything arrived in proper order and quickly.

My main use of the boat is all stock ballast full for wakeboarding, and I am not keen on partial fill of the bag for this purpose. I am experimenting with methods to fill factory tank first, followed by the sacs. I am using the 1150's, which really sets up the boat great for surfing (also using additional sacs further forward). When full, however, the sac pressure will push water out of the factory drain line. I have a collection of inexpensive 12V solenoids, and I am thinking I can build an automatic system with the addition of a surf/wakeboard switch. Everything else would be handled by the factory pumps.

I also have a tsunami pump. When I'm in a hurry I help out the piggyback system with a second pump connected. That gets the bag filled in a hurry! It also makes me wonder if it would be better to just plumb separate fill/drain pumps for the sacs.

So in summary, the system works. But I'm a perfectionist and I am seeking a fully hands off, automatic system for surfing with no additional compromises. I'll post experiences and comments from time to time.

Reading backwards, there were also many questions about the flow-rite connections to the bag. These are not a tapered thread, so don't expect them to get tight until they are fully bottomed out. They will feel equally loose from the moment you thread them and remain loose all the way to the bottom. They depend on the o-ring connection for the seal. Just tighten them a half turn or so beyond snug once they bottom out. If you remove these often, it's a good idea to keep the o-ring lubricated.

You're right, it would be ideal for each bag to have their own fill and drain pumps. I toyed with the idea of modidying the piggyback system as well. In the end I installed it per the instructions, quick and cheap. An independent fill/drain system for the bags would probably be a winter project for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've used the new ballast a couple of times since and it works very well. Like others have said, it takes a while to drain. I had to stop the drain pump two or three times and allow the bag to drain into the tank. Depending on how well you route the hose from the bag to the tank, not much water remains in the bag.

I would definitely prefer a separate fill and drain pump for each bag. My VLX has an additional plug (3 total), on a through hull fitting underneath the port side of the engine. The 4 stock ballast pumps utilize identical through hull fittings. So, I think it will be pretty easy to install a tee and 2 new pumps there. That's a big relief for me since I have no desire to drill a hole on the bottom of the boat. I'll have to drill holes on the side for vents, but I'm comfortable with that.

Edited by Dexter
  • 2 months later...

Now why would anyone want to have an extra pump when they say you should fill the factory tanks first to support the weight.... I dont get it..

Filling the factory tank will not help support the fatsac. If it were a sealed tank after filling, then it would help support it. As it is, being vented does not support extra weight. Take a zip lock baggie and fill and seal it. now it will hold external weight till the seal or bag pops. if that same bag had a vent in the top as the ballast system does, any weight pressing on it will just force the water out of the bag. It will not support the weight. The weight is all supported by the floor and molded tank, filled or not. That being said, these tanks are strong enough to hold the extra weight. Has anyone ever heard of one being crushed? I'm sure there has been many times they got extra weight put on them without being filled.

See, I thought exactly the same thing, but everything I had read had said to fill the hard tanks first to help support the bags...now I don't know what to believe..