Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone figure out how to fix the G3's appearance?

bennekm

OK...sold my '03 LSV and I'm ready to buy my new 23 LSV. The problem I have is the new G3 tower. At first, I hated the design as it reminds me of towers on runabouts. It's grown on me a bit...still a far cry from the styling of the Illusion XS, however what I can't get over is the mat black truck bed liner spray that covers most of the tower...probably to hide all the underlying sins and unfinished welds from Malibu throwing this tower together at the last minute. Like most people, I would like some black gel coat on the boat. All the pix I've seen with g3's on boats with black do not look good from my perspective, as it doesn't match. Anyone figure out how to fix this? My dealership recommended taking the tower apart and sending it out for powdercoating. I'm not sure it would stick and I think unless all the truck bed liner spray was sandblasted off, powercoating over the rough finish would magnify how bad it looks. Apparently Malibu is going to fix this in 2011, but the local Malibu rep and they will not confirm or deny that. However, I can't wait until then because I don't want to go without a boat this summer. I also tried to see if the tower could be substitued for an XS...for that to be accomplished the boat has to be ordered with no tower, you barely get any credit, and then the XS and all it's options have to be ordered through the parts department...costing $1000's more. I have a really hard time spending this amount of money on something that looks like this....anyone have this same issue and figure out a solution?

If it were me, I'd do what I want so that later on I wouldn't be saying... Man the boat would be perfect, if only it had X.

For me that X is the Illusion XS. I feel like the new gelcoat patterns, and winshield/vents scream sharp angular lines which the G3 does not have at all. I feel like it completely kills the look of the '10 boats. Infact, 09 was my favorite year of boats then even like 08 better than the new ones.

If you really can't wait and like the XS better, I'd pay the extra for the XS.

I had a long conversation with a factory guy a few weeks ago. I specifically asked if the speaker shelf on the G3 was going to be improved upon and he said there were no changes on the drawing board for the G3. Your info may be more current than mine.

If I were in your situation, I would consider a lightly used or left over 2008 or 2009 and use it until something changes with the G3. There are some exceptional deals out there on those boats. Btw, the XS tower is not something to seek out or pay extra for.

Edited by skyskier

I've been trying to buy a left-over '09 out of state and I'm running into dealerships telling me that they don't want to sell a boat out of territory...at least the one that aren't asking too much for a left-over. I thought there was some sort of federal anti-competition law which prohibited dealerships/manufacturers from prohibiting competition. I look at it as I have about 2 weeks to figure it out, or else I need to get an order in for an '10 so it is ready in time for the season....I want Maliview, and all of the '08's and '09's out there I have found are priced at what I can buy a new one for or so close to it that it doesn't make sense to go used.

Edited by bennekm

My local dealer, Skiers Pier, had a white G3 tower on a boat. They had disassembled it and sent it out to be done. I didn't go look at it closely or ask how they had it done or what the price would be. You could call there and find out.

My local dealer, Skiers Pier, had a white G3 tower on a boat. They had disassembled it and sent it out to be done. I didn't go look at it closely or ask how they had it done or what the price would be. You could call there and find out.

Did they smooth it out while refinishing it or just color the textures black white?

I'll give Skiers Pier a call. I was actually speaking to them about a left-over '09 and they sold it before I was ready to pull the trigger. Thanks.

I absolutely love the new G3 tower. It is the absolute best innovation of the year from any boat manufacturer. This seems to be one of the best engineered towers hands down.

The Crinkle coat finish is more durable, and I like the fact that it doesn't show waterspots.

I do think it would be cool to be able to color the back parts of the legs

OK...sold my '03 LSV and I'm ready to buy my new 23 LSV. The problem I have is the new G3 tower. At first, I hated the design as it reminds me of towers on runabouts. It's grown on me a bit...still a far cry from the styling of the Illusion XS, however what I can't get over is the mat black truck bed liner spray that covers most of the tower...probably to hide all the underlying sins and unfinished welds from Malibu throwing this tower together at the last minute. Like most people, I would like some black gel coat on the boat. All the pix I've seen with g3's on boats with black do not look good from my perspective, as it doesn't match. Anyone figure out how to fix this? My dealership recommended taking the tower apart and sending it out for powdercoating. I'm not sure it would stick and I think unless all the truck bed liner spray was sandblasted off, powercoating over the rough finish would magnify how bad it looks. Apparently Malibu is going to fix this in 2011, but the local Malibu rep and they will not confirm or deny that. However, I can't wait until then because I don't want to go without a boat this summer. I also tried to see if the tower could be substitued for an XS...for that to be accomplished the boat has to be ordered with no tower, you barely get any credit, and then the XS and all it's options have to be ordered through the parts department...costing $1000's more. I have a really hard time spending this amount of money on something that looks like this....anyone have this same issue and figure out a solution?

That's what all the dealerships are saying to try to convince people it doesn't look terrible. :) In my search for a left-over, I have spoken to over 10 dealerships and almost everyone of them has said they didn't like the look of the new tower at first and that they have received similar feedback from customers. Although they all did talk about the leap forward in functionality. I agree there is a balance between styling and functionality, but from me, I'd rather have waterspots and a few scratches vs. a tower that doesn't match my boat...at least people should have the option when we are talking about boats that retail for over $100k. Next year maybe I'm told...but that will be too late for me.

That's what all the dealerships are saying to try to convince people it doesn't look terrible. :) In my search for a left-over, I have spoken to over 10 dealerships and almost everyone of them has said they didn't like the look of the new tower at first and that they have received similar feedback from customers. Although they all did talk about the leap forward in functionality. I agree there is a balance between styling and functionality, but from me, I'd rather have waterspots and a few scratches vs. a tower that doesn't match my boat...at least people should have the option when we are talking about boats that retail for over $100k. Next year maybe I'm told...but that will be too late for me.

If it's that big of a deal, just take the tower apart and have it powder coated whatever color want.... It shouldn't be that hard!!

I agree there is a balance between styling and functionality, but from me, I'd rather have waterspots and a few scratches vs. a tower that doesn't match my boat...at least people should have the option when we are talking about boats that retail for over $100k. Next year maybe I'm told...but that will be too late for me.

Metcraft folded up because of problems a lot more serious than waterspots & scratches on their towers. Take a look around. There are plenty of people talking about issues on their Illusions.

Frankly I never cared for the swoop forward look. So the look of the G3 is no better or worse than the look of the Illusion. But if the G3 performs & holds up better, then I can figure out how to make it look better. And just like most any tower, loaded with racks, speakers, a bimini & gear, they all look great.

I'd like to see a new WS with the Titan III on it. I don't even know if that's an option anymore, but i like the looks of the Titan III more than i do the illusions. just my opinion of course....

The G3 tower is hands down the best tower I have used / seen so far. It doesn't get more functional and solid than that. Give it some time or take a test drive out on the water with one, you won't be let down. It took me a while to adjust to the style too but I couldn't imagine doing anything else now.

If you don't like the crinkle finish, why don't you just get it powder coated a different color?

-Paul

Where are you located? I know someone that might be willing to trade his 09 Illusion XS from his LSV for the new G3. Just a thought.

I'm in Chicago.

The G3 tower is hands down the best tower I have used / seen so far. It doesn't get more functional and solid than that. Give it some time or take a test drive out on the water with one, you won't be let down. It took me a while to adjust to the style too but I couldn't imagine doing anything else now.

If you don't like the crinkle finish, why don't you just get it powder coated a different color?

-Paul

I may have too...just hate the thought of spending this much on a boat, then having to pay to have it taken apart, the existing tower striped, and then powder coated.

Peter and Paul:

You are saying that the G3 is more rigid than a T-1, T-2 or T-3??? I find that hard to believe... But if that's what you're saying, then I'll believe it!

(I ain't got $90K to find out...) My '04 VLX with a T-2 suits me JUST fine!

P

Peter and Paul:

You are saying that the G3 is more rigid than a T-1, T-2 or T-3??? I find that hard to believe... But if that's what you're saying, then I'll believe it!

(I ain't got $90K to find out...) My '04 VLX with a T-2 suits me JUST fine!

P

Thats a tough comparison for me to make. I have never run my T-2 all by itself..... I have 4 Dbot5 8" speakers (like 15-20 lbs each), a bimini, plus 2 SkySki racks & board racks for 4 boards. The tower is rock solid under most any conditions. And we have similar experience with the T3s too.

When we rode behind the 2010 VLX & G3 over Christmas, the tower only had a bimini on it. But sitting under the tower, leaning on it, shaking it all we could, and riding behind it showed very little movement. The Illusions show very little movement too. Their downfall IMO is how durable they are, specifically the bushings & pin inserts, not to mention the garage door spring inside the gunnels. If the G3 design proves itself to be as sturdy and more durable than the Metcraft product, then Malibu has a winner. Looking it over it looks to me to be a simpler design so I think it has a good chance of success. It's definitely worth checking out for yourself. Rockon.gif

I am going to be honest, if the G3 is a deal breaker then you probably shouldn't have sold your boat before figuring this all out.

I would tell you to explore your options now but don't put off getting this boat unless you really hate the G3. YOu could either buy a used boat with a XS or buy this one new and if the G3 doesn't grow on you then once again look to replace it or refinish it. You could always go one summer with a tower you don't like and have it finished next offseason.

I am going to be honest, if the G3 is a deal breaker then you probably shouldn't have sold your boat before figuring this all out.

I would tell you to explore your options now but don't put off getting this boat unless you really hate the G3. YOu could either buy a used boat with a XS or buy this one new and if the G3 doesn't grow on you then once again look to replace it or refinish it. You could always go one summer with a tower you don't like and have it finished next offseason.

At the time I sold the boat, I thought I could get an XS swapped out for no cost. Although, since I've posted this thread, I've had numerous people tell me about issues with the XS. For now, looks like I will go with a G3 and get it re-finished.