Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt Water Recommendation Needed

willh2oski4food

I'm currently looking at a 2001 Sunsetter LXI that is in pretty darn good shape. The only problem with the boat is that it has been run in salt water for approximately 1/3rd of its life (has 330 hours). The dealer says it was flushed after every outing in salt water, and there is minimal visible corrosion on the engine. The engine still runs like a top and is very strong.

What effects does salt water have on the engine (both short and long term). Is this something to be quite worried about? Does it have any effects on the hoses, pumps, electronics?

Any suggestiona and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I'm currently looking at a 2001 Sunsetter LXI that is in pretty darn good shape. The only problem with the boat is that it has been run in salt water for approximately 1/3rd of its life (has 330 hours). The dealer says it was flushed after every outing in salt water, and there is minimal visible corrosion on the engine. The engine still runs like a top and is very strong.

What effects does salt water have on the engine (both short and long term). Is this something to be quite worried about? Does it have any effects on the hoses, pumps, electronics?

Thanks.

The short answer is yes, all of the above. There are a few crew members that boat almost exclusively in salt water, so I'll let them chime in. A well maintained boat will show some additional corrosion but should be good for a long time. Also, try the search function to find some salt water related threads. I believe the biggest issue, even with thorough flushing is the eventual need to replace the exhaust manifolds, BICBW.

BTW, welcome to TMC.

Edited by MalibuTime

Thanks.

Make sure the engine was equiped with a raw water filter, other wise debre gets into the trans cooler.

Are you going to also run in salt, if so there are some other areas we reccommend be modified.

Make sure the engine was equiped with a raw water filter, other wise debre gets into the trans cooler.

Are you going to also run in salt, if so there are some other areas we reccommend be modified.

I have been running 90% in salt for the last 6 years. last boat had a V6 merc in it with no closed cooling.....never had one issue as I was diligent about running fresh water through the block each and every time I pulled it out. It went out 4 times a week on average.

When I bought the new malibu I put a closed cooling system on it this time as it was always in the back of my mind what was goign on in the block.......

also make sure you run zincs on the boat (shaft, rudder, swimgrid, wedge) to stop the salt (or electrosomething) from eating your boat.

I also coated all the connectors and motor mounts with protectant.

however I was so diligent with last boat the motor looked new when I sold it, and ran great...also everytime I came out of the water the boat was washed with soap. Again it looked like new when sold it.

Thanks.

You do have to take that dealer comment with a grain of salt. Whistling.gif

My boat has been run in salt water since day 1. I can not remember how many hours are on it but I am sure it is over 1,000 and is 18 years old. I have a closed cooling system. I would put it against any 18 year old boat. I get comments every time I go out! You can have a fresh water boat that is in worse shape than a salt water boat with the same ammount of hours. It just depends on how well it has been taken care of...

Edited by nbeihl

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess it really comes down to whether they took the time to properly care for the boat whenever they took it in salt water. The engine still runs strong and the interior of the boat is nearly flawless. To me it looks like it was well maintained and properly cared for, but you never really know. Thanks again for the advice!