Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'95 Sunsetter Fuel Pump Upgrade

Sunsetter95

As you can tell, I have a '95 Sunsetter. I do not have a wiring diagram for my '95. I want to change out the machanical fuel pump for an electric fuel pump. I am tired of cranking the engine over and over until fuel get pumped up to the carb after longer breaks from boating. I believe the wires are just a ground and an ignition power, but I was wondering if Malibu connects the pump power from a specific location. i.e. after some relay somewhere. Can I get some direction here from first hand? Thanks in advance.

As you can tell, I have a '95 Sunsetter. I do not have a wiring diagram for my '95. I want to change out the machanical fuel pump for an electric fuel pump. I am tired of cranking the engine over and over until fuel get pumped up to the carb after longer breaks from boating. I believe the wires are just a ground and an ignition power, but I was wondering if Malibu connects the pump power from a specific location. i.e. after some relay somewhere. Can I get some direction here from first hand? Thanks in advance.

What motor do you have? a mercruiser?

Make sure you think through the possibility of a split or leaking fuel line with an electric pump and I assume a carburetor (given you have a mechanical pump now). You certainly don't want the pump to fill the bilge with fuel when the engine is not running, a mechanical pump tends to self regulate itself based on engine rpm, the electrical one will just go on voltage supply. Also, you will want a low pressure electric pump, not one for FI. I would tend to not go that route, perhaps a better mechanical pump would help your problem, but it is simply the evaporation of the fuel in the float bowls and the fill rate from the mechanical pump.

Being in Glendale, I am surprised you don't have as much or more of a problem with vapor lock. You are stuck with high evaporation rates (high temps / low humidity), so you will be fighting that all the time. Have you tried different fuels to see if one is better than another?

Make sure you think through the possibility of a split or leaking fuel line with an electric pump and I assume a carburetor (given you have a mechanical pump now). You certainly don't want the pump to fill the bilge with fuel when the engine is not running, a mechanical pump tends to self regulate itself based on engine rpm, the electrical one will just go on voltage supply. Also, you will want a low pressure electric pump, not one for FI. I would tend to not go that route, perhaps a better mechanical pump would help your problem, but it is simply the evaporation of the fuel in the float bowls and the fill rate from the mechanical pump.

Being in Glendale, I am surprised you don't have as much or more of a problem with vapor lock. You are stuck with high evaporation rates (high temps / low humidity), so you will be fighting that all the time. Have you tried different fuels to see if one is better than another?

There are a few ways to get around the issue of a split line filling up the bildge: 1) connect an inline oil pressure switched relay that shuts off the pump if oil pressure is lost, 2) of course have the whole system only on the ignition side, 3) get real fancy and have a sniffer for gas fumes. $$$ Any way I plan to use all metal lines except for the crosover to the engine.

The OEM pump is self regulated to low pressure for a carb, and I have never had any vapor lock.

I have a good pump on it now. I am tired of waiting for the carb to fill enough to get the engine to fire when it has sat for more than a week. The electric choke opens up so fast that when it finally gets fuel up into the carb, the choke is off and is a little hard to start. If I run it every week, this is not an issue. First time every time. I know... then take it out every week! That would be nice but I just can't seem to get the time every week to go out.

Edited by Sunsetter95