Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Son wants a slalom course

88Skier

Like you.... I have been skiing for over 40 years.... and just bought a ski course. After listening to all the advice (and banter) on this site, I went with Ed's Insta-Slalom. I also took Ed's advice and bought the Compact version. Yes, it's an extra arm you have to deal with, but sure makes it easier when the arms are inside a small boat.

I also use my pontoon boat to install/remove. Seems much easier. I put the pontoon boat in reverse, and feed the line out the front door.... and the front deck is used by the "pipe-assembly" guy.

First installation (and yes, I only have installed once this season....... hurt my back so waiting for mother nature and Robax to heal the pain) took me and a buddy (just the 2 of us) about 90 minutes to install our first time. Half of that time was after dark.... we needed flashlight to finish.... what a couple of bozo's.) Less than half that time to pull out the next day. (We started to figure out a "system" by then.

I'm sure that 2 experienced people could get this thing installed in less than 30 minutes.

My plan was to put IN on a Monday, and pull OUT on a Friday. This way I would avoid the weekend PWC and tuber crowd.

Re submersibles. I declined due to cost and the fishing lure AND the pontoon boat anchor lurkers. (Many pontoon boats come to our end of lake....throw an anchor.... jump in. No need to have somebody take a dive onto a pneumatic bag or straddle an underwater PVC pipe.)

I also opted for the cheaper POLY mainline (vs the stainless mainline.) Again, Ed's advice.

I saved on shipping (Ed's advice again) by buying my 30 pound fluted anchors locally vs having Ed ship.

Great guy to deal with.

Great product.

Can't wait to use it more.

What a rush the first time you go through the entrance gates of your OWN course!

Edited by doughickey

thanks Doug,

did you look at the ez-slalom and compare?

I'm a little confused though because in this thread Ed is mentioned for both EZ and INSTA slalom courses.

I think I will lean towards the EZ slalom, although it is $45 more for the compact design, the fact that they use a thicker rope and the boom sections are only 80" is a big deal in the long run and I won't be buying another one...

they look amazingly similar though... maybe someone could point out the differences in the 2 and I will decide based on my needs.

ps. Doug, what lake did you install the course in? I live in Toronto; cottage and boat in Haliburton... looking to get into the course more. I would be happy to help you put it in/pull it out and drop my boat in/take you for a pull in exchange for its use.

Edited by H20ski Dude
Thanks for the info. It sounds too easy. Believe ot or not, I've been skiing slalom behind an inboard for about 37 years and have never skied a course. The things kids get you into.

Don't start now, run while you can. Once you start you can't stop....... Crazy.gif

If there is a breeze, always start going into the breeze. The driver can keep the boat in position much better that way, than they can when the wind is blowing them down course. You will find it easier to remove in the same manner. If the wind is blowing you in the direction you are deploying, it gets tough.

I forgot about this thread until I saw it tonight. When I read it, I clearly didn't say what I meant.

Let me be clear on this:

When removing the course, put the transom into the wind and pull the boat against the wind to take up the course. We turn the engine off and I pull the mainline into the boat. The driver has nothing to do, so he/she winds it on the reel and handles the bouys. It takes more effort, but going over the mainline really sucks. Taking the mainline out of the rudder/prop/platform is never fun when you just want to take it out and go home.

Deploying: My previous post sure reads like I have never done it even though we have done it 50 times in the last 4 years. The idea is to not go over the mainline. Have the wind blow you down course. Depending on the wind intensity, you may not even need to put the boat in gear except to align the course as you float downwind. You will need some tension to set the 2nd anchor when you are on the far end.

Another safety tip: Part of our mainline floats and part is weighted. If you have other boat traffic in the area, pay attention to what is going on around you. One boat going across your floating mainline might end up with a trip to hospital repairing a rope ripping off an arm or something similar. It might just be a cut mainline, however it could be much worse.