Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

checking oil in vdrive / transmission

board brained

guys few questions:

I have just put 6 hours on my boat and I was told to watch the engine and v drive oil after each use. Which I have done.

re the vdrive, I have a Hurth ZF 45 IV which has oil pitstick for the min unit and the vdrive

1) are these two seperate reserves?

2) when u check the oil levels do you wipe the dipstick then screw it back in....or just set it in then pull out (without screwing it down) to see levels?

3) fluid is between the two marks on both, slightly lower on the main, but it is very hard to see...is this normal. I guess it is new and clean still :-)

thanks

guys few questions:

I have just put 6 hours on my boat and I was told to watch the engine and v drive oil after each use. Which I have done.

re the vdrive, I have a Hurth ZF 45 IV which has oil pitstick for the min unit and the vdrive

1) are these two seperate reserves?

2) when u check the oil levels do you wipe the dipstick then screw it back in....or just set it in then pull out (without screwing it down) to see levels?

3) fluid is between the two marks on both, slightly lower on the main, but it is very hard to see...is this normal. I guess it is new and clean still :-)

thanks

Unscrew, pull it out, wipe it clean, put it back in, screw it down, unscrew, pull it out, hold it at an angle in a well lit area to see the line, it's hard to see but if you're between the lines you should be good.

Yes they are 2 seperate reserviors. But both should have a red sticker near the dip stick that says ATF.

Unscrew, pull it out, wipe it clean, put it back in, screw it down, unscrew, pull it out, hold it at an angle in a well lit area to see the line, it's hard to see but if you're between the lines you should be good.

Yes they are 2 seperate reserviors. But both should have a red sticker near the dip stick that says ATF.

thanks.....

I'm not positive you screw it down. On the older separate V-drive / tranny units, you are to only rest the dipsitck on top of the hole for checking the trans. fluid.

I'd check your owner's manual.

My 06 VLX manual says DO NOT screw in the dipstick to check it.

you are correct, there it is, do not screw in, I am not sure how I overlooked it but there it is in the indmar manual....ohh ya i was looking in the transmission manual.......

thanks

you are correct, there it is, do not screw in, I am not sure how I overlooked it but there it is in the indmar manual....ohh ya i was looking in the transmission manual.......

thanks

That's seems pretty stupid to me! No wonder my levels are always a little high :Doh:

thanks

dalt1 thanks....out again tonight and had to add ATF, alot because of your comments.........I owe u

S