Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prepping the Hull for the season...

Jack - do you have any suggestions as to what the bunks could be lubed with that would not harm the hull?

water...or perhaps you can swithc to one of the new rubber bunk covers.. Pretty much anything else is going to wash off when you back the trailer in.

Lemon fresh Pledge. Yep that's right, the furniture polish spray you probably have around the house works great on bunks. It is only wax anyway and man does the boat slide on. Only need to spray once or twice a season and you can get it anywhere. A side benefit is the lemony fresh smell :biggrin:

Water - I've tried that... Always dip the trailer first including the V bunk, which can be a long dip

I will expiriment witht he depth, for steep ramps, with the long boat, it just doesn't work though - the bow goes under the roller in those cases, and the back is still floating. There is clearly a thin margin of too deep and too shallow, just looking to help the boat slide better, since too shallow is better than too deep

I think I'll start with some of the bunk slide spray. Once the boat is on, I don't think there is much risk of it sliding around - it locks in nice on the strakes, and is strapped down. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes

Thanks for the help guys - keep it coming if you think of anything else

• 3 weeks later...

Having the boat out on Oroville for the weekend, gave me an opportunity to apply some "bunk lube"..

I used a can of liquid rollers - purchased from my local West Marine

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex..._ite=DDI%20Link

Directions were to apply to clean/dry bunks, and let dry. Dropped the boat in on Friday, applied on Sat, and put back on the trailer on Sunday..

Results were good - the boat slid on the bunks much nicer - not uncontrollably slippery, just winched it up the last 6ft or so, and it was relatively easy, and just slid on up (did ensure everything got wet first, as normal, including the v-bunk)

Great mod, allowing me to load a bit more shallow, so the boat settles on the trailer more easily :thumbup:

I dunk the bunks, then get the top of the trailer fenders just at water level.

The trick for me is to pull out of the water SLOOOOWLY and she settles right on the bunks perfect every time.

Troy: You know I'm ready to ride most of the time in the evenings.... if it ever stops raining around here. We actually hit Folsom on Saturday morning. Kind of sore today. The water was actually very comfortable at 61 degrees.

Edited by jklein

John, yes I'm sore today too - after riding both Sat & Sun and carying gear up the shore (50' down vertical) to the boat-in camping

I'll have to try the "really slow technique".. I pull out slow, but even if I keep it pretty shallow, it still has a tendency to settle on the strake in the back - that was with lots of winching. I'll get it figured out, and this stuff sure helps with the winching (which I don't see that I'll be able to avoid)

Wax, wax, wax. At the beginning of the year you may want to use a polish to remove any residue, old wax, and minor imperfections. I've used quite a few waxes and like the paste waxes because I think they're easier to work with. And I'm a fan of waxing the bottom of my boat, I like my gelcoat protected and sealed (I'll be lifting the boat with the shop crain and giving the bottom a very good polishing, cleaning ,waxing and a minor bunk repair... hopefully)

Chris