Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prepping the Hull for the season...

Question: What should I do (if anything) to prep the gelcoat on the hull etc. for the start of the season? Is there anything that should be done to the gelcoat similar to changing the oil before and after the season? I have '91 Skier that is always trailered...if that helps.

Any recommendations on products and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Give it a good cleaning with soapy water, unless it is covered with river scum, in which case clean with Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic to make the scum disappear. Assuming you didn't let it sit all winter covered with scum, then just a good cleaning with soapy water will do. Get any water spots you see cleaned with a dilute vinegar and water solution. Rinse it all off. Then just apply the wax of your choice. I've been using Nu-Finish which has been working well for me, but I've been using it mainly because I bought a Costco duo pack a number of years ago and have been using it up. Others have recommended any carnauba wax based product.

You should do this throughout the year, not just at the beginning or end of the season.

It also will vary if there is any fading and you would like to restore it, because if so you can use an orbital buffer and some compound to bring out a lot of the color. What that doesn't bring out would have to be wet sanded. I use meguires cleaner wax at the beginning of each season and usually use a coat of that to get the excess grim and such off, then I wait about a week and put a coat of their flagship wax which brings a nice deep shine out.

Waxing the hull does nothing... Honestly, if you think of it, think about how wax wears with water. So over time a cars wax wears off with water running on it, etc. Well, in the water a boat has more water in a minute than a car in a year so it lasts for no time...Not worth the time to put it on.

Speaking of bunks - anyone use anything to help the boat slide on the bunks better?

My boat really nests down tight into the trailer, and unless the ramp is really shallow, it is difficult to get the rear of the boat to settle down just right (not on the strakes).

I find dipping the buks to get them wet, then pull the trailer out a bit, so the boat has to slide up on the bunks really helps it place correctly. In doing that it is a bit of a stuggle to either power load it, or winch it up.. would like to have it slid easier

Thoughts?

I can't think of the name, but they make a spray specifically for this that works very well. I have also seen people use soap, but I don't like the idea of soap being in contact with the hull over a prolonged period. I will try to look and see if I can find the name of the bunk spray... I know it is something like "slide on"

I actually leave the trailer a little high when on steep ramps. It really helps settle the rear of the boat. I also will stand to the center of the boat or have someone sit in the observers seat to balance side to side.

Thanks wkerat - I believe I've seen that around somewhere too.. wonder if anyone has tried it.

White - what brand trailer do you have on your '01? Ryan? Do you have issues getting the back of the boat correct side to side? Figure I might have it complicated a bit due to the lenght of the boat - but suspect they're similar

Troy,

You could try these.

Bunk Mates

Another idea is a can of Silicone, spray bunks before you go to pickup, just make sure you have the boat secured to the trailer befroe you pull out.

White's idea, is what I more or less follow.

Stewart - do you have a pic of the back of your boat? (I think you have some of your wedge/rudder I've seen before)

Does it have more V than this? What happens is when the back of the boat is floating (steep ramp) it tends to come down on the strake

Maybe I just need to get better at picking the best depth of the trailer. This last trip, I went a bit too shallow, and had to winch some - as hull chirped up the bunks - but it settled in nice.. the winching isn't so bad, but it would be nicer to have it slide easier

post-80-1113541827_thumb.jpg

You are always better off being higher up on the ramp. If the boat gets stuck to the bunks and you have to power up, then you can always back the trailer down a bit.

Troy,

ICBW but I believe they call these "drive-on" trailers for a reason. I literally have to run the boat up onto the trailer with a fair amount of throttle. It sounds like you just need to figure out the trailer depth thing. With mine it's back the trailer all the way in (to wet the bunks) then pull forward until the trailer fender is sticking out of the water by about 3-4". Any deeper and the bow comes in under the bow roller, any shallower and I can't get it all the on. Just takes some experimenting.

Thanks guys this helps - I may try some sort of purchased bunk lube, but if nothing else, I've the support of my buds that shallower is better (with wet bunks) and power it up a bit, once it is in place.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of practice this year. Speaking of which - did I tell you guys I have a sabbatical from work this year... simply 2 months of paid leave (Aug & Sep) in addition to my 4wks vacation

I'm going to basically live on the boat I think :clap: of course I'll need to find a second and a third to ride with - lol

Thanks wkerat - I believe I've seen that around somewhere too.. wonder if anyone has tried it.

White - what brand trailer do you have on your '01?  Ryan?  Do you have issues getting the back of the boat correct side to side?  Figure I might have it complicated a bit due to the lenght of the boat - but suspect they're similar

Actually I have an Extreme trailer and it's the back that troubles me as well. he only thing I've found that helps is to come as close to center while loading as possible and to have the trailer at the right height. I actually put the trailer in and ran the boat up on it about a dozen times or so until I figured out the right depth.

Um, and the bunks are in the way?

Just spread wax on the bunk...then when you drive on it will self-wax. :crazy:

Yeah, for me that means it'll get waxed in November. :tease1:

I would be leary of leaving soap and water or silicone on the bunks and in contact with the hull. YMMV Where's Tommy when you need him? :rtfm:

I would experiment with trailer depth first, then, only if absolutely necessary, add some of those things that attach to the bunk. I like the idea of my hull sticking to the bunks as I go around corners while trailering. OMMV